Help with 4 terminal speakers - what are they?

Participant count
  • Participant list

65-Fstbk

View attachment 26557714

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie with a question about speakers. My boat has a set of older Alpine spr-134A 5.25" speakers. Raccoons got in there and have chewed the speaker cones to bits. I thought, ok well I guess I'll but another set of speakers but when I took one out there are 4 terminals connected.

I think this may have something to do with the tweeter and woofer on separate feeds or something but not sure. I can't seem to find any replacements that have 4 terminals. The head unit is also an Alpine.

#1 - why the 4 terminals

#2 - what do I need to be asking for when looking for 4 terminal speakers

#3 - can you recommend a reasonable replacement speaker with the 4 terminals

I tried to attach a pic of the old speaker backside.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Chris

Two terminals are for the woofer, and two are for the tweeter there should be a passive crossover hidden in there too. You can replace them with any 5.25" speakers you want but you will have to remove the crossovers and run new wires.

Can't see any small box near the speaker. Under dash there is a larger grey fused box along with a couple of other small black fused boxes.

Since I'm going to need to buy new speakers anyway are there any 5.25" that come with the 4 terminals on them? That would make for a simple plug n play repair? Any recommendations?

The head unit is an Alpine CDM 7274.

Thanks again for the help guys.

C

Ok so I spoke with a guy at a local electronics retailer and he says they really do not sell speakers anymore that have the bi-amp, 4 terminals on them. So I asked what do I do to replace speakers that have the bi-amp connections and he said just join the existing + with + and - with - and then connect to the two terminals on the new speaker.

Does that sound right?

C

Depends on where the wires go.

Not sure if the tweeters wiring was to channel 3/4 and the woofers wiring was to 1/2. Would not be a good idea to wire them together if so.

Really weird. The head unit (Alpine CDM 7274) is using the standard plug in connector for the speakers which according to the diagram in the manual is just 'SPKR RF + and -' etc for 4 speakers. So from the connector off the head unit the wires run out a few inches and then there are 2 in-line crimp type connectors per speaker that continue on and run down and under the floor then back up on the Port side where they change to speaker wire. I cannot find any external crossovers etc that change this to a 4 wires per speaker application yet there are 4 wires at the speaker. Part of the wire run is down the side which is concealed and I can't see it. I'm thinking they would not be able to put any crossovers down there, that would be more of a typical wire fish application.

Perplexed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.