HU and amp Gain help please...

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
My Kenwood HU's volume goes to 35. I set my full range amp's gains with a 1khz, 0db signal with the volume at 33 of 35 on the HU. I set the front gain to 20.2v at the speaker output terminals on the amp and the rear gain to 19.8V if I recall correctly. This should keep me close to a potential 100 watts RMS up front per side.

Here is my confusion. I normally listen to my music at a volume betwixt 16 and 25 with 25 yielding solid bass impact and full sound overall and being quite loud in the cab. In the past couple of days I have noticed that most of my songs will NOT increase in volume past 25. To be frank, only my most recent additions to my thumb drive which have been songs of CD quality or higher will increase in volume past 25. What gives?????? Should I reset my amp's gains? I know the amp has the power to go louder, I am just confused. Can someone clear up what is going on?

We don’t play music at 0db. Of course it’s gonna sound too low. I would just do it by ear man. You’ll know if you’re clipping or not. Get to know your system. I would increase gain for fronts and lower your rear fill gain to get better sound stage. Music is dynamic. You’re not getting a full 100w unless you mimic your 0 db @ 1 khz tone which is practically impossible with music.

are the newer songs ripped/burned differently? how do store bought music cds sound, not cdrs etc
Bought from HDtracks.com, download from there at 124/24 or 96/24 then converted to the highest resolution my HU will play which is 16/44.1 (Normal CD quality). Actual CD's sound good but I very rarely play CD's. Basically, any 320 or less MP3 will not go past 25 of 35 on my volume.

when you made your MP3s, did you have any compressors/volume regulators accidentally turned on?
Any MP3's I have were downloaded from various places. I didn't make them. Any music I am converting are wav files and are converted to 16/44.1 wav files.

Actually that is not entirely true. I converted my Steel Panther CD's to 320 MP3's but they sound great. No compressors, volume regulators or eq's when I did those.

I think what we are getting to is that the MP3's I downloaded are badly degraded? Have no headroom? I can see that being possible.

Any MP3's I have were downloaded from various places. I didn't make them. Any music I am converting are wav files and are converted to 16/44.1 wav files.Actually that is not entirely true. I converted my Steel Panther CD's to 320 MP3's but they sound great. No compressors, volume regulators or eq's when I did those.

I think what we are getting to is that the MP3's I downloaded are badly degraded? Have no headroom? I can see that being possible.
Yea basically. Too much compression. Some of the songs you find online were either ripped at a low bitrate or degraded over time from downloading and reconverting them over and over. For example someone downloads it from youtube except that most youtube mp3 converters i’ve seen only go up to 256 or 128. Or like you rip a song from a CD at 256 and then you reconvert it back to Wav which still loses quality but imagine doing that over and over.

yah, thats the downside of getting music from all over the place. i get a lot off YouTube but try n get 720p or higher quality, and then convert to 320 MP3s

this will let you dl the vid or just extract the audio https://www.4kdownload.com

thats what ive been using lately

i also use Audacity to chop up concerts into individual songs. love listening to concerts in my car

i just did this show, its awesome

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.