12v DC to AC converters

Kyle F

Hey guys!

What is the best method or alternative option for powering a car amp with a 12v DC to AC power converter? I basically want to power my 750W Edge car sub in home instead of using a 650W PC PSU because it’s jank (dodgy) and the +12v yellow wire is too thin and warms up. I’ve been told to just buy a car battery, battery charger and run the amp that way but it’s not very ‘feasible’ in my situation as I’d have no where to place the battery out of the way. Not only that I want to avoid any possible battery issues such as acid leaks.

It would have to be at least 1000W, 40A/60A(?) so I’ve been told.

Hopefully y’all can help! Thank you.

I am about to upgrade my PSUs I use for my test bench, I can sell you one. It's a RD Power 2kw model that will do 150amps DC... Can sell it for $200 shipped.

I am about to upgrade my PSUs I use for my test bench, I can sell you one. It's a RD Power 2kw model that will do 150amps DC... Can sell it for $200 shipped.
that MIIIIIIIGHT be a bit more than he needs for this purpose LOL!!

OP, you should look into PSU modding. Its not that bad to get all the +12v leads summed to one point as well as the grounds to its own separate terminal. a 650 watt psu is likely more than enough to power that small amp.

Some people tell me to just buy a car battery and charger and power the amp that way whilst others tell me to look for an AC to DC inverter/converter. I can't find an 800W 40/60A one though. :/ I've been told it's best and more clean to buy the required inverter/converter and then get an amp wiring kit but use a short wire to bridge between the +12V and Remote terminals. But which gauge would I go for?

Some people tell me to just buy a car battery and charger and power the amp that way whilst others tell me to look for an AC to DC inverter/converter. I can't find an 800W 40/60A one though. :/ I've been told it's best and more clean to buy the required inverter/converter and then get an amp wiring kit but use a short wire to bridge between the +12V and Remote terminals. But which gauge would I go for?
how much amperage does that car preloaded sub system need to see? 40 amperes?

how much amperage does that car preloaded sub system need to see? 40 amperes?
How do I find out? It's an Edge EDB10 10" V2 750W with a 20A fuse.

Edit: It currently runs off of a 650W PC PSU but it's too dodgy. This is why I am looking for a cleaner way of powering it in-home. It seems and looks like using an AC to DC converter power supply is a lot safer and less dodgy by wiring the amp with actual an amp wiring kit. (using proper gauge wires instead of using such thin +12v wire from the PC PSU.

How do I find out? It's an Edge EDB10 10" V2 750W with a 20A fuse.
Edit: It currently runs off of a 650W PC PSU but it's too dodgy. This is why I am looking for a cleaner way of powering it in-home. It seems and looks like using an AC to DC converter power supply is a lot safer and less dodgy by wiring the amp with actual an amp wiring kit. (using proper gauge wires instead of using such thin +12v wire from the PC PSU.
whats dodgy about it? i think you should mod it. you can sum all the like amperage 12 v leads to a brass connector and all the grounds to a separate connector and likely get the 20 amps your system needs. psu's are built to take a beating. use some 4 or even 8 gauge from the brass connections to the amp and youll be good

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

check some youtube videos on psu modding, its not that bad as long as you follow instructions and basic rules of dealing with electricity

The +12v wire it's currently drawing power from (1 wire) warms up as the amp warms up. This is why I want to use a power inverter/converter where I can use actual 4 or 8 gauge cables instead of the PSUs +12v wires. I just don't really like using a modded PSU. It's way safer to use an inverter/converter than a modded PC PSU anyway. Not to mention my knowledge and experience in such fields is rather limited. I didn't mod this PSU.

Exactly what sub is this?  It's one of those active wedge things, right?  EDB10AE2 maybe?  I see a 20 or 25A fuse.

It will require less current than that for anything other than high volume test tones.

Dude.... As a few others have stated..... get something that plugs into 120AC LMAO!

I bought a used Buttkicker amp for about $100 years ago...

Currently run two Beringer EP2500s and used to use a 12v external crossover with a wall wart before getting proper processing setup...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Kyle F

Kyle F
Cambridge, England
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Haunz