CVT versus CWR

Participant count
  • Participants list

rlwjr1

I am new and thought I posted this last night. If I did , I apologize for posting it twice LOL. Anyway, I had a Kicker RW10CVT10. Bought it last September, paid 60 dollars for the item. I have an Alpine MRP-M450, this amp is a great Class D amp pushing 400 watts RMS. The CVT sub was 400 watts RMS too. I turned the LP filter on 80, which was recommended by local audio dealer, and kept the gain no higher then around 60% of highest setting. One of the CVT's busted, warranty replaced it, 6 mons later a Voice Coil gets damaged. So twice in 6 mons, had to deal with replacing sub. Now, the company no longer sells that particular sub. So, I upgraded or at least upgraded in price to a Kicker 43CWR104 10 inch. The same in size, watts, etc. Both are dual voice coil. The only difference is CVT is 2 ohm, the CWR is 4 ohm. I will be the first to say that Kicker sounded very good, with a very solid bass sound. The question I want to ask is there a reason both of those CVT ended up tearing up, and is the CWR a better subwoofer. I will post a link to both subwoofers, if any of you have a good reason to why the CVT did this twice let me know.

That amp is 2 ohm stable. The CVT 2 ohm would wire to 1 ohm parallel or 4 ohms in series.

The new woofer being a dual 4 ohm will wire to 2 ohms parallel or 8 ohms in series.

But the amp gain being at "60%" could have been off and causing clipping to kill your last two subs. If you continue to send a clipped signal to the new subwoofer the same will happen. Need to set the gains with an O scope to make sure they are clean.

I will be hooking the amp to the 4ohm subwoofer at 2ohm parallel. Can you explain to me what you mean by needing to set the gains with an O scope.
o scope is like a meter that shows clipped signal u have to see if a shop in your area has one.. try a sub beside kicker too, alpine s maybe

I will check wiht local shop on that scope. And, yeah I would buy a different subwoofer other than the fact then I am getting this one for free because the other was under warranty. I suppose I could sell this one when I get it and buy another one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

rlwjr1

rlwjr1
Rogersville, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
rlwjr1