Edge ED510A Flex - Good or Bad?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Kyle F

Hey guys.

I've had this subwoofer hooked up to a 650W PSU and connected to a splitter that connects both my sub RCA and HiFi AUX cables that connect into my PC for some time. Bass response is lovely. Bass Boost on the subs' amp is all the way down (0dB). I took a video comparison with my iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to see if either phone could record any differences in sound but when doing this noticed that the flex of the sub was strangely different to usual, though on some songs I suppose I have to put into consideration that they have different high and lower frequencies than others. I've had an issue with my ED512A 900W subwoofer because the voice coil had half blown, so I bought a 750W 10" sub as a replacement.

If you guys could watch both videos and let me know if there is any issue with how the sub is flexing during the bass response? I'm worried that the gain may be improperly set, but it seems fine on other songs. I just want to be 100% sure the amp isn't clipping.

Thanks!

Video taken from Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ogeErxG9coS5u84WhpslzMsrH0GL6TS3/view?usp=sharing (Notice from 0:07)

Video taken from Apple iPhone 7: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5QppulRjD2pPoW0hNP5JeVxRN6KapG2/view?usp=sharing (Notice from 0:50)

Forgot to include the amp levels.

View attachment 26557699

Eyeballs can't measure clipping but an oscilloscope can.
True, I'll get one for that. Also on an off-topic note; your signature had me messed up! haha

Wasn't this on another thread recently?... pos sub imo
Not sure if I'm honest. Got the sub on right now and noticed the +12V yellow cable warming up a tad, not too much for concern though. It is powered by a 650W PC PSU.

Hey guys.
I've had this subwoofer hooked up to a 650W PSU and connected to a splitter that connects both my sub RCA and HiFi AUX cables that connect into my PC for some time. Bass response is lovely. Bass Boost on the subs' amp is all the way down (0dB). I took a video comparison with my iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to see if either phone could record any differences in sound but when doing this noticed that the flex of the sub was strangely different to usual, though on some songs I suppose I have to put into consideration that they have different high and lower frequencies than others. I've had an issue with my ED512A 900W subwoofer because the voice coil had half blown, so I bought a 750W 10" sub as a replacement.
you may want to go to avsforums.com

the guys here are pretty well versed with all things bass, but this is pretty specific to the home AV world. Ive asked about my Definitive Technology home audio sub before, and while helpful, it fell too far outside of the 12v realm

you may want to go to avsforums.com
the guys here are pretty well versed with all things bass, but this is pretty specific to the home AV world. Ive asked about my Definitive Technology home audio sub before, and while helpful, it fell too far outside of the 12v realm
That is true although I don’t get much of a response to my threads on there so I had to Google another forum that supports discussion of car audio. Technically it is a car sub but it’s powered in home.

That is true although I don’t get much of a response to my threads on there so I had to Google another forum that supports discussion of car audio. Technically it is a car sub but it’s powered in home.
my bad. re-googled the sub and saw that its a preloaded car sub. How many amperes does your psu output?

View attachment 26557700I believe it’s 40A. I’m unsure exactly.

Edit: looking at a picture of the connector on my iPhone as I’m not at home, there’s only 1 yellow +12V cable connected to the +12V terminal on the amp. But as I said, sometimes that yellow wire will get a little bit warm but not a concerning warm.

View attachment 26557700I believe it’s 40A. I’m unsure exactly.
Edit: looking at a picture of the connector on my iPhone as I’m not at home, there’s only 1 yellow +12V cable connected to the +12V terminal on the amp. But as I said, sometimes that yellow wire will get a little bit warm but not a concerning warm.
That's weird as most PSUs have several 12v leads coming out providing only a few amperes each. Those 20ga wires can't support more than a few amps each. You may want to either mod the PSU to give it's full output or at least bunch a few of them to get more amperage as that wire shouldn't really get warm at all. Could be a sign of the wire finally failing

My mistake. Yes the PSU has other +12v yellow wires but only one is being used to power the amp. There is no power fluctuations, distortion, or the amp going into protect which is a good sign. I can confirm it was just one song that the driver flex was odd. It doesn't do it on other songs, or bass boosted songs. It only starts distorting if I turn the volume up past 30/100 on my Realtek Audio Manager but I've had to disable all of the bass boost EQs and set the presets to standard processing to mimic EQ settings of a car head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.