PRV Audio 3500.1 going into protect

Participant count
  • Participants list

evilmonstertruk
Premium Member

Premium Member
Maryland
Woke up today. Got it in the car. No bass!!! Went and looked and my prv was in protect. So I obviously stopped at the gas station to troubleshoot. And no matter what I did couldn't get it. Its a year and week since I bought it. And wouldn't you know it. Only a year warranty. What are the odds! Opened it up and only saw one possible burnt area. The little red square. It may be the protection itself but I have no idea.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
02bc8129b5889e0b7776a6c15e61e724.jpg
2e7abdc1f29e2a5676bac93eb67152a1.jpg
9181b41eaed8f29ca54726e1583a05ea.jpg
9bf2dca6826035c4ad935f0326c078fa.jpg
81c0a9da95cc7098b4a7db88673509d5.jpg
b93b63c211ecbbabdb1dbd904ea04aba.jpg
f1c8a39196511abb90e20a4f4f224df1.jpg
e650884cb9642464aba936da3015dfa1.jpg
26831afed80dbd541490e60bee7c612d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Id check your subs as well with an Ohm Meter to see if you have any issues with any Coil. Wrong Ohm load on a bad coil will send an amp into protect quickly/ instantly. Check your subs. 9xs out of ten everyone thinks automatically that hen an amp goes into protect that each coil on ea.sub are just fine

Id check your subs as well with an Ohm Meter to see if you have any issues with any Coil. Wrong Ohm load on a bad coil will send an amp into protect quickly/ instantly. Check your subs. 9xs out of ten everyone thinks automatically that hen an amp goes into protect that each coil on ea.sub are just fine
Sub is good. Have it hooked up temporary to the 5/6 channel on my Audiocontrol. Couldn't go a hour and tens mins without bass. The amp goes into protect without the speakers or the RCAs hooked up.

Pretty much any component on that amp could have failed and not be visibly burnt. This sort of thing is why lowest cost per watt isn't the end-all-be-all criteria for choosing an amplifier.

Pretty much any component on that amp could have failed and not be visibly burnt. This sort of thing is why lowest cost per watt isn't the end-all-be-all criteria for choosing an amplifier.
True. But all electronics have this risk. I have super high end stuff go bad and cheap **** last forever. And the other way around. I have a Kenwood two channel home theater amp from the 80s going strong in my theater room.

True. But all electronics have this risk. I have super high end stuff go bad and cheap **** last forever. And the other way around. I have a Kenwood two channel home theater amp from the 80s going strong in my theater room.
And all vegetables contain some arsenic. The point being the rate of failure of cheap stuff, and of course Brazilian amps are notoriously unreliable.

And all vegetables contain some arsenic. The point being the rate of failure of cheap stuff, and of course Brazilian amps are notoriously unreliable.
Either way. I think I'm the only one that bought one of these prvs. There discontinued now. Hopefully they fix it under warranty.
Any idea how much it might cost to fix?

Either way. I think I'm the only one that bought one of these prvs. There discontinued now. Hopefully they fix it under warranty.
Any idea how much it might cost to fix?

That's the other thing with Brazilian amps is a lot of shops refuse to repair them (because they're unreliable) and parts can be difficult or impossible to find. The Amp Lab up in Maine does some Brazilians, not sure if they mess with PRV

That's the other thing with Brazilian amps is a lot of shops refuse to repair them (because they're unreliable) and parts can be difficult or impossible to find. The Amp Lab up in Maine does some Brazilians, not sure if they mess with PRV
Ok cool. I'll see what PRV says then look around. I called one of the places and they said they didn't.
I have my Massive Audio 4000.2 which is a nice amp. Hooked it up today and didn't lose a thing. I know that one massive audio got killed in the Dyno, I think this one is different. But hard to say

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.