Extending wire

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi Everyone, it's been a while since I've last been on the forums, mainly because I've been so pleased with how my car has turned out. However, something has happened that I can't quite figure out and need some help with.

A few weeks ago, I had to replace my car battery and while taking off the positive connection, my amp power cable broke at the ring terminal and now is a bit too short to simply reconnect it. Rather than dealing with the headache of running all new wire through my car to my trunk, I've decided that the best option would be to simply extend the current wire.

After watching a few videos on how to solder (I had done it before, but it's been a while), I went to the good old Home Depot to pick up the wire, shrink tube, terminal connector, and proper solder (all I had was tin/lead solder). I bought what they told me what 8 gauge wire, but it looks smaller in diameter than the wire that I have, It also is not frayed like the wire that is currently in my car (see images below).

Current wire in my car:

View attachment 26557629

View attachment 26557628

New wire:

View attachment 26557632

View attachment 26557631

Comparison:

View attachment 26557630

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can I use these two types of wire together? I asked the person working there and they said yes, but that I had to completely solder both ends of both wires and then insert them into a splice reducer and tape it. Would this work? I feel like it doesn't sound as secure as my original plan of intertwining the two cables, wrapping it with a thin wire and soldering that together.

I understand this is a lot of text, but I greatly appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

So even thought the wires are different types and look like different gauges, they can still be used together?

This is what I was given to use

View attachment 26557634

I want to make sure that I understand this and do this properly. I don't need to solder both ends, I just twist them and push them into the splice reducer? Would it be a bad thing if I soldered each wire before using the reducer? I was then told that I need to do two layers of rubber electrical tape and then two layers of vinyl tape. Does this sound like the right thing i need to do?

I really appreciate all of the help!

So even thought the wires are different types and look like different gauges, they can still be used together?

View attachment 26557634

I want to make sure that I understand this and do this properly. I don't need to solder both ends, I just twist them and push them into the splice reducer? Would it be a bad thing if I soldered each wire before using the reducer? I was then told that I need to do two layers of rubber electrical tape and then two layers of vinyl tape. Does this sound like the right thing i need to do?

Those will work just fine.Just be sure to either Heat shrink over that coupling or tape the hell out of it so it doesnt ever have an opportunity to ground out.be just as easy to use an electrical Butt connector

View attachment 26557634

yeah those are great, just stick wires in and tighten.. if wire is smaller than other doesn't matter if it short like 3ft ., thats how peeps run 2 amps big wire from battery (0ga) splits into 2 -4 ga close to amps.. u don't have to solder them but i think the way to do it would be stick wire in tighten screw and solder around the wire if there's a gap if not doesn't matter.. just wrap tape over any naked wire and over the metal or heat shrink as abaun said..

Okay, so after going out to my car to start and finish this seemingly easy project, I noticed that the wire that I'm extending, the wire from the fuse box to the battery) seems to have corrosion on it... Would working with that be a bad idea? Should I cut past the inline fuse to the non exposed wire (see image below) and just get a new fuse? Or should I assume that the whole wire is corroded and replace the whole thing? I've had the wire in my car for about 3 years now and I don't want to make things harder than they have to be, but obviously if it needs to be done, I'm willing to do it. I simply don't want to ruin the electrical by not being thorough.

View attachment 26557635

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so after going out to my car to start and finish this seemingly easy project, I noticed that the wire that I'm extending, the wire from the fuse box to the battery) seems to have corrosion on it... Would working with that be a bad idea? Should I cut past the inline fuse to the non exposed wire (see image below) and just get a new fuse? Or should I assume that the whole wire is corroded and replace the whole thing? I've had the wire in my car for about 3 years now and I don't want to make things harder than they have to be, but obviously if it needs to be done, I'm willing to do it. I simply don't want to ruin the electrical by not being thorough.
View attachment 26557635

Thanks everyone!
nope that's gotta go if it's all over wire.. if it's just end u can cut some off each end pull it 1 way and just add more wire to 1 end.. honestly u can get 4 ga OFC wire pretty cheap or 2ga welding wire 0 ga is like $50 for 20 feet for welding wire i'll find link

Okay, so I'll be replacing the whole wire then. Now since I have to do that, I have to then replace the inline fuse with it. I currently have a 70A fuse on the 8 gauge wire, since I'm moving up to a thicker wire should I increase the fuse as well? I have a Crescendo symphony 600.1 amp. Thanks for the help!

Just connect the wire to the fuse and add the 1” or so longer wire to the other side of the fuse and thus no need to solder and extend the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I'll be replacing the whole wire then. Now since I have to do that, I have to then replace the inline fuse with it. I currently have a 70A fuse on the 8 gauge wire, since I'm moving up to a thicker wire should I increase the fuse as well? I have a Crescendo symphony 600.1 amp. Thanks for the help!
if that's only amp u have u can just go with 4 ga wire make sure it's ofc and just get fuse like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-Pro-MAXI-4-or-8-Gauge-Gold-Inline-Fuse-Holder-Fuseholder-w-100-Amp-Fuse/311040842540?epid=1000464478&hash=item486b7a9b2c:g:uIsAAOSwAClZ4sE~:sc:USPSFirstClass!27526!US!-1 had 80amp like this for 14 yrs never blew a fuse.. something like this is good https://www.ebay.com/itm/OFC-Full-Copper-1666-Strand-Count-4-GA-Platinum-Power-Ground-Wire-Cable-25ft/322222395749?hash=item4b05f39165:g:OF4AAOSwP2Baxq9v

Yeah, that's the only amp I have. You don't think that a 100A fuse would be too much?

Yeah, that's the only amp I have. You don't think that a 100A fuse would be too much?
u can fuse by wire size or amp size as long as fuse isn't to big for wire., i have a chart. u can run up to 125a on 4ga but 80a would be safer on that size and power (i still have 80a on 4ga. haven't installed the new 100 like i showed u yet and i have 1150rms) just make sure u get decent fuse holder not 1 of the $6 ones

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.