Scanspeak Discovery vs. ADS 320i

Participant count
  • Participant list

baronkatz
10+ year member

Hi Everyone,

I have an ESX Q60.4 rebuilt by Stephen Mantz at Zed Audio and want to use it with some speakers on a Mini Cooper. Debating a couple of things: 1. Transfer the Alpine 7949 to the Mini - or get a Pioneer Carozzeria DEH-P01 or P99, etc, or a 7969, etc... Don't have much of a budget but the 7949 annoys me sometimes, especially having to dial the volume instead of using a knob and because it can't read all CD's, etc... although I am mostly going to be using AUX in.

Now my other and main question: I have a brand new set of Scanspeak Discovery series 5" components. I have not heard them but do not want to have to install them or even use them since the item will then be used. I have nowhere I can listen to them. However, I have had so many ADS speakers for the home and love them. I have had: L690s, L1230's, L300's, etc... I love the L1290's and L1230's the most but all of the ones until the 90s sound amazing. The ADS from the 90s is missing those sparkly highs that I really love.

Anyway - I'm wondering if I should use the Scanspeak's I have or swap with someone for a pair of ADS 320 i or I/S. What's the difference between the two models and should I even consider any of the other ADS speakers? How would the Scanpspeak's compare?

Looks like it's a clear choice for the I - I did some research and the IS and later ADS models seem to have the Poly cones - which don't sound as smooth. I noticed this with the older vs. newer ADS models on home speakers too. Their paper cones and sticky dome tweeters are what make them magical - the later models seem to sound less unique and kind of a bit too toned down and boring. Anyway - I guess it's between the 320i and Scanspeak Discovery now...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.