Jump to content


ThxOne

My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, ThxOne said:

I don't know why... but my brain kept telling me that the amps need to be in the trunk. They do not. There is a lot of room right there. I could mount the second battery, hide all the wires, make a beauty trim panel, make everything removable. I hate having people in my vehicles in the back seat anyway.

I generally dont give very many a ride any more if any at all. Keeps the Insurance liability issue down quite a bit.Id utilize all the space Im willing to give up for sure.keeps things simple and a bit easier to access what is needed and room for ? needed.Its amazing what kind of custom work you can do with plywood, MDF or even ABS plastic, or fiber glassing, or Plexy for a custom finish


2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said... this is slow going but today I got the first pair of speakers for the Active Build. AND..... It is going to be a three way build!!! I was waiting to pick up my paycheck which wasn't at work yet so I stopped by the car audio shop where I had the credit. I ask the installer if he ever came across 3.5" speakers that didn't have a tweeter on them. He said only in a component set. I said yeah, that's what I found but I don't want to buy a 3 way set. He paused, said hold on and came back with these. These will do perfectly in the factory G6 3-way speaker pods. I paid the tax on them after they used up my credit. They said they were in their sop less than an hour lol. What do you all think?

Here are the speakers. They are DD Audio EX2.75 midrange speakers.

Specs: EX2.75

2.75"

25 - 75 watts rms

200 watts max

4 ohm

F.R. 160hz - 20khz

dbSPL 87

 

 

DD-1.jpg

DD-2.jpg

DD-3.jpg

DD-4.jpg


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThxOne said:

As I said... this is slow going but today I got the first pair of speakers for the Active Build. AND..... It is going to be a three way build!!! I was waiting to pick up my paycheck which wasn't at work yet so I stopped by the car audio shop where I had the credit. I ask the installer if he ever came across 3.5" speakers that didn't have a tweeter on them. He said only in a component set. I said yeah, that's what I found but I don't want to buy a 3 way set. He paused, said hold on and came back with these. These will do perfectly in the factory G6 3-way speaker pods. I paid the tax on them after they used up my credit. They said they were in their sop less than an hour lol. What do you all think?

Here are the speakers. They are DD Audio EX2.75 midrange speakers.

Specs: EX2.75

2.75"

25 - 75 watts rms

200 watts max

4 ohm

F.R. 160hz - 20khz

dbSPL 87

 

 

DD-1.jpg

DD-2.jpg

DD-3.jpg

DD-4.jpg

Those should do very nice.I think I have a really nice set of 5.25 DD mids sitting. Ill have to look. 


2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, audiobaun said:

Those should do very nice.I think I have a really nice set of 5.25 DD mids sitting. Ill have to look. 

I haven't decided if I am going to use my Image dynamics set or get some Silver Flute W17RC38-04. What I'd like to do is junk my Grand Cherokee (ZJ) and get a regular Cherokee (XJ) and use the ID's in that.

Right now... I think this set-up for the 3-way front doors:

Alpine SPX-17Pro tweeters

DD EX2.75 mids

Silver Flute W17RC38-04 mid-woofers

The Alpines would be run off my "hidden" RF 250a2 amp, the DD's and SF's off the 4 channel US Acoustics Barbara Ann and the Dayton Ultimax 10 off the US Acoustics Mike amp. All controlled by the RF 3Sixty.3 all from the amp rack where the lower back seat would be. I should be able to make this setup sound great.... right?


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your honest opinions on these tweeters?

Copper & Beryllium Alloy dome/ Aluminum face panel/ NEO magnet

impedance: 6 Ohm  sensitivity: 91db, power:50W, frequency: 800~~30KHZ, recommend crossover point:>2K  HZ
 

Copper Be 1.jpg

Copper Be 2.jpg

UT8f.1CXeXcXXagOFbXJ.jpg

Edited by ThxOne

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ThxOne said:

What are your honest opinions on these tweeters?

Copper & Beryllium Alloy dome/ Aluminum face panel/ NEO magnet

impedance: 6 Ohm  sensitivity: 91db, power:50W, frequency: 800~~30KHZ, recommend crossover point:>2K  HZ
 

Copper Be 1.jpg

Copper Be 2.jpg

UT8f.1CXeXcXXagOFbXJ.jpg

Hmm.. Beauts..Look expensive for sure.Ive never seen those to be honest.What brand are those? May be a bit bright/loud maybe being 6 ohm imo.Liking the Neo though


2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, audiobaun said:

Hmm.. Beauts..Look expensive for sure.Ive never seen those to be honest.What brand are those? May be a bit bright/loud maybe being 6 ohm imo.Liking the Neo though

David Louis Audio and $89 for the set - brand new. I have seen a lot of listings on various sites and reviews have all been positive. All listings have them coming from China.

Edited by ThxOne

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how the hell I am going to do this... Honestly, I am not far off from starting the build. The factory head unit is fully functional and it is sending signal to the trunk to the Monsoon amplifier. It shouldn't be a problem to pull the signal from the input to the factory amp and send it to the 3Sixty.3 but what the hell do I know about doing that? Nothing, I have never hijacked a factory signal... I am starting to get freaked out. I am trying to think logically about it... I am thinking the smart way to do it is to make a T harness out of the factory harness so that the factory amp is retained as well as anything that the car requires the amp for and the signal would still be able to be used at the 3Sixty??... but what do I do about remote turn on's for the 3 amplifiers and the 3Sixty??? Do I find an ignition source then use relays??? Something tells me this install is going to be a pisser. I can't find a wiring diagram that is for my car.


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered the Chilton manual for the G6. It has wiring diagrams. Hopefully one of them will cover the Monsoon amp. If not, I can still use it to fix stuff on the car.


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ThxOne said:

Ordered the Chilton manual for the G6. It has wiring diagrams. Hopefully one of them will cover the Monsoon amp. If not, I can still use it to fix stuff on the car.

Very good move/purchase.That manual will come in handy for sure.


2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I worked out how I am going to get my HiRes audio into my 3Sixty.3. I was going to buy a portable Bluetooth audio player but they are expensive when trying to find one that can stream HD Audio over Bluetooth.... As it turns out, I already own one. My LG G5 is Apt-X HD enabled already sooooooo I have the Audio Player. All I need to buy is the receiver to hook into the 3Sixty.3, which I found and it is USB powered and the signal will enter the 3Sixty.3 via the optical tosslink input. Can you say "Bypass the factory stereo all together!!!"


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Research, research, research. From my readings the LDAC from Sony is the King of the Hill as far as streaming Bluetooth audio quality. It is followed by the aptX HD codec. Luckily my phone has all the good stuff. From further reading I found out that Sony was/is working closely with Android and it has been said that the majority of new to newer cell phones will have LDAC natively with newer versions of Android. I was only able to access my aptX HD and LDAC settings under {Developer Options} in the phone. What this means is if your Head Unit or DSP is capable of receiving aptX HD or LDAC Bluetooth streaming you may want to enable it in your phones if you haven't already. Or get a Bluetooth dongle/adapter that is capable of receiving the signals.

 

Screenshot_2018-12-27-14-10-13.thumb.jpg.afdec75aca022b05e924045c1be3f89b.jpg

Edited by ThxOne

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThxOne said:

Research, research, research. From my readings the LDAC from Sony is the King of the Hill as far as streaming Bluetooth audio quality. It is followed by the aptX HD codec. Luckily my phone has all the good stuff. From further reading I found out that Sony was/is working closely with Android and it has been said that the majority of new to newer cell phones will have LDAC natively with newer versions of Android. I was only able to access my aptX HD and LDAC settings under {Developer Options} in the phone. What this means is if your Head Unit or DSP is capable of receiving aptX HD or LDAC Bluetooth streaming you may want to enable it in your phones if you haven't already. Or get a Bluetooth dongle/adapter that is capable of receiving the signals.

 

 

I haven't really been watching this closely but this very much intrigues me as I only use bluetooth and I think the SQ is pretty good but now that those higher quality units are available, do you have any information on which specific headunits have this capability now?

 

Also, supposedly LDAC is not the better option and you were misinformed 

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

Edited by wew lad

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wew lad said:

I haven't really been watching this closely but this very much intrigues me as I only use bluetooth and I think the SQ is pretty good but now that those higher quality units are available, do you have any information on which specific headunits have this capability now?

 

Also, supposedly LDAC is not the better option and you were misinformed 

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

Interesting read.

 

Receivers with aptX and the one Sony head unit that supports LDAC here.


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12+ hours... that is how long it took me to figure out why my LG G5 wasn't transmitting full bandwidth audio over Bluetooth. It was actually. When I bought my eXcelon head unit I originally had the mic hooked up so I could make Bluetooth calls and whatnot. I didn't want the bass coming through 2 12's on 1000w's so I set the audio to only come through the front speakers via Bluetooth. 12+ damn hours. Shit sounds great now lol. By the way, Onkyo makes a really cool app for Android to play HiRes music files.


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 11:02 PM, ThxOne said:

Interesting read.

 

Receivers with aptX and the one Sony head unit that supports LDAC here.

Great link, there's now sub $100 headunits that support bluetooth at higher bit rates than the vast majority of most people listen to on their $400+ decks

Edited by wew lad

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, My tweeters are on the way. I went with the Alpine Tweeters. I think the price is fantastic considering how much the Alpine component set cost for the SPX-17Pro... $1050 suggested from Alpine. But you all knew that.

My-Tweeters.jpg


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SilverFlute 6.5" speakers are on their way!!!

Now I have the 3-way front stage taken care of. Time to source two more amplifiers. Mike and Lisa.

I am also going to get a sheet of Birch to make an amp rack out of and either some black perforated vinyl or actual perforated leather to cover it in to match the look of the seats.

I still have one more speaker to purchase. The Dayton Ultimax 10.


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got them!!

SF1.jpg


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tweeters have made it to L.A. from Singapore. Should have them here in a few days.


2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon (Technically in progress?)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's free & easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×