4v Kenwood vs 2v pioneer

gasabozemo

Lisbon
Hi, my car is a 1996 bmw e36 and the radio is dead, so am looking to buy another.

I have been researching a lot, checking the specs of TOO many models and its hard to keep track of.

But in my budget (70-150€) interestingly enough almost all pioneer models are 2v pre out and the kendwood are 4v, i need some help choosing, at the top of my list are:

- Pioneer x780/Mvh X580DAB;

- Kenwood x720

(there are others that even look the same with no clear differences...)

Am open to other brands/models

Thank You

Imo, 2V is more than strong enough signal for an amplifier. You just need to set gains properly on your amp.

Thatsaid, im just an average listener, not an spl maximizer, or sq guy.. So Maybe someone will chime in on why 4v out is better for a casual listener..

What amplifier do you have?

Hi, my car is a 1996 bmw e36 and the radio is dead, so am looking to buy another.I have been researching a lot, checking the specs of TOO many models and its hard to keep track of.

But in my budget (70-150€) interestingly enough almost all pioneer models are 2v pre out and the kendwood are 4v, i need some help choosing, at the top of my list are:

- Pioneer x780/Mvh X580DAB;

- Kenwood x720

(there are others that even look the same with no clear differences...)

Am open to other brands/models

Thank You
check to see if 1 has 24 bit da converter (or if 1 is higher than the other) that make s big diff.

I got the car recently, i don't think this car has the upgraded audio system which has the amp, so probably i don't have a amp.

I know that if i had an amp 2v pre out rce would be enough, but since i don't i think the 4v pre out would be more beneficial?

The pre-out voltages will only apply if you are running an outboard amplifier. This is a measure of the signal voltage the head unit is sending to the amplifier. As mentioned earlier, you use the gains to match to the incoming voltage. There is a pretty good chance you will not notice a difference if you do use an amplifier. If you are planning to just change the radio and use it to power the speakers then the pre outs are moot.

I got the car recently, i don't think this car has the upgraded audio system which has the amp, so probably i don't have a amp.I know that if i had an amp 2v pre out rce would be enough, but since i don't i think the 4v pre out would be more beneficial?
so u don't have an amp and aren't planning to get an amp? so y are u worried about preamp output voltage? it's like wondering which light bulb is best but u don't have a lamp..

Pioneer 80-prs would be nice, unfortunately still expensive at this time of my life plus i need to buy something rather quickly i do daily 1:30-2h drives and without music it's painful.

I usually play with EQ to suit my mood/music depending on the day but both offer 13 eq settings.

I mostly listen to rock/metal e.g Led Zeppelin, doors, pink floyd, etc's

I do plan on buying a amp

Just found out this pioneer head unit MVH-S501BS which for some hilarious reason has 3x 4v rca outputs BUT its only in america market?! cannot find an equivalent in europe

So far am leaning towards kenwood kdc-x5200bt, but am hearing about some failing units in general from kenwood....

tomorrow i will make a final decision, please advise

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up high pre out voltage is simply a way to block interference noise. Any engine whine that gets transmitted to the rca feeding an amplifier will be worse on 2v than 4v but if you run you wires correctly it's no big deal.

Beyond than I'm a fan of pioneer headunits they tend to be mild sounding and have an easy to use interface.

I've never owned a kenwood but alpine units tend to have a bright top end in my experience though not enough to be a problem

I got the car recently, i don't think this car has the upgraded audio system which has the amp, so probably i don't have a amp.I know that if i had an amp 2v pre out rce would be enough, but since i don't i think the 4v pre out would be more beneficial?

Pre-out voltage does not matter at all i f you dont plan on adding an amp or using an amp so dont even look at the pre-out voltage unless you plan on adding an amp in the future.

Actually if you get a sony mex 100bt you'll be a lot happier because its an actual 40 watts a channel which will do wonders if you dont have an amp.

I am rather sensitive to piercing highs, but its very satisfying when it hits the right high note, its usually something i usually control with EQ

The Sony MEX-XB100BT sure seems to tick the requirements, how is Sony reliability wise these days?

I am rather sensitive to piercing highs, but its very satisfying when it hits the right high note, its usually something i usually control with EQThe Sony MEX-XB100BT sure seems to tick the requirements, how is Sony reliability wise these days?
Sony has always been a very reliable HU from my experiencing/ buying as well as Kenwoods.i put a nice Sony HU in the Neighbors truck about 2-3 years ago and he has never had any issues.was a great deal on it at the time.I believe JVC is owned By Kenwood now. May look into these as well.just replaced a cheap Pioneer Hu with a JVC/Kenwood Hu in the Kids 2000 eclipse approx .3 months ago and he is enjoying it very much. It was less that 140 bucks from Sonic Electronics

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.