noise ordinance question

youdoofus

Skibidi
so, i was just driving down the street behind a cop and at a red light, he gets out of the car from the passenger side and told to turn it off. Not down, off... I asked why. He said its against the law to have any amplified sounds coming out of your vehicle. Turns out, all sounds from any stereo, stock or otherwise is amplified... Anyways, he then said to turn it down. I had it paused while he was there, so i said "well, its off, so..." he said "ok". I asked if i was breaking the sound ordinance, and he then told me to pull over so we could discuss it. He basically lectured me for about 2 min tops, and i just agreed with him because my lunch break was almost over, but heres my question. What can we as audio enthusiasts do when we arent breaking the law, the cop doesnt have a meter, and the cop is just abusing his power?

i've been lucky on that but i do turn it down when i'm close to a cop.. what fets me is 2 days ago i was behind a truck with big lift kit and the loudest exhaust i've ever heard, no way anyone could hear my stereo over him.. i hear them go by my house at 5am much louder than any stereo i've heard so how can they get on us and not them?

He is just a nasty ol grumper. Most cops around my area dont give a flying fk.
thats kinda what i was thinking. he even said something to the effect of "im not a difficult person to get along with, but..." i was going to fight him tooth and nail, but my lunch break was drawing to a close and i had to get back to my desk

i've been lucky on that but i do turn it down when i'm close to a cop.. what fets me is 2 days ago i was behind a truck with big lift kit and the loudest exhaust i've ever heard, no way anyone could hear my stereo over him.. i hear them go by my house at 5am much louder than any stereo i've heard so how can they get on us and not them?
EXACTLY!!! there is a beat to $hit 93 accord coupe that drives up and down my street like a dozen times a day with his exhaust broken right behind the manifold. 2.3 liters of 25 year old busted as cr@p exhaust. and he welds his foot to the floor too... irritating as fu#k!!! also pickups and a chevy sonic with a huge a$$ f@rtcan on it.... my neighborhood has some seriously redneck people

Ask him to cite the crime, and ask if you're being detained. Obviously if you have a dash cam keep it on and if you don't start recording immediately.

You can still exercise your rights without coming off as a dbag, and if he starts acting out, ask him why he's being unprofessional - request his supervisor.

If you're a pansy who blindly trusts all LEO obviously this won't work, and obviously don't do it if you have anything in the car or aren't recording the incident.

If you can't afford a good lawyer and don't know your rights, don't push it like an idiot. Unfortunately the system is massively stacked against you

I almost got a phony disorderly conduct charge a few weeks ago for bass because some dbag stopped in the middle of the road for no reason thinking I was driving too close (he was going 20 in a 35). We sat blocking the road for 15 minutes while I played music, he called the cops, they asked for my ID and I asked what crime I was suspected of. They had no answer, I asked if I was being detained "yeah uh traffic stop we pulled you over" obviously ******** but I can't afford a $5k lawyer so I gave them my ID. One of the male cops came by later and made a snarky comment "Yeah disorderly conduct, THAT'S the crime we suspect him of" I asked for his name and badge number, he calmed own pretty quick.

lol dude i'm in nc 60% here are rednecks.. my neighbors 2 houses over have huge property behind them goes about 100 foot behind my property., they shot guns and ride loud 4 wheelers at 3-5am never seen anything like it., we in country not really much can be done about it and a cop live across the street lol..

Turn it down or record the interaction in case shit goes down.
its literally the 7th time that a cop has come to my car since ive been at this job which has been 3.5 years... i used to run the mixing board for bands back in the day, so im quite familiar with the noise ordinance for that but am not as well versed with the car noise ordinance. i know its a db from a certain distance and there is even a difference for when the vehicle is stationary or over 30 mph

lol dude i'm in nc 60% here are rednecks.. my neighbors 2 houses over have huge property behind them goes about 100 foot behind my property., they shot guns and ride loud 4 wheelers at 3-5am never seen anything like it., we in country not really much can be done about it and a cop live across the street lol..
It's way worse in the country, that's where some of the worst LEO are. Their ****** little town can enact some stupid county law and **** with you until you leave. You have to go appeal it at the state level and that takes a lot of time and $.

Bullies with badges.

Dash cam is a great investment.

Every county is different with the law on stereos. I got a $150 ticket in GA on a two lane road with woods on both sides and no other cars.. Cop was hiding in the woods.

Im very respectful with my music though. Turn it down at red lights, traffic, neighborhoods, and stores. Helps to not get your shit stolen too.

Ask him to cite the crime, and ask if you're being detained. Obviously if you have a dash cam keep it on and if you don't start recording immediately.
You can still exercise your rights without coming off as a dbag, and if he starts acting out, ask him why he's being unprofessional - request his supervisor.

If you're a pansy who blindly trusts all LEO obviously this won't work, and obviously don't do it if you have anything in the car or aren't recording the incident.

If you can't afford a good lawyer and don't know your rights, don't push it like an idiot. Unfortunately the system is massively stacked against you

I almost got a phony disorderly conduct charge a few weeks ago for bass because some dbag stopped in the middle of the road for no reason thinking I was driving too close (he was going 20 in a 35). We sat blocking the road for 15 minutes while I played music, he called the cops, they asked for my ID and I asked what crime I was suspected of. They had no answer, I asked if I was being detained "yeah uh traffic stop we pulled you over" obviously ******** but I can't afford a $5k lawyer so I gave them my ID. One of the male cops came by later and made a snarky comment "Yeah disorderly conduct, THAT'S the crime we suspect him of" I asked for his name and badge number, he calmed own pretty quick.
the lawyer-up thing is what i was afraid of
yeah, the cards are stacked against us who just want to bass out a bit but within the legal limits. i pretty darn sure that im not over the db limit, but they weild all the power in this situation it seems

Unfortunately there are in fact laws in place in regards to how loud we can play our music in our cars. At 11pm on a 2x2 road not near any open businesses or residential neighborhoods, I was bumping pretty loud with my windows down. About 200 feet away was a GA State Trooper... he pulled me over, ran all my info then ask if I knew why he pulled me over. Being the smart mouth I am I said "Boredom?" He said no and ask if I could see where he was parked. I said yes. He said he could hear my music from where he was. I ask him why that was an issue being that I was not near any houses or open businesses and just traveling down a road with no traffic. He said there are laws and also said it cannot be heard 100 feet or more away. I said ok. I will go research it.

He was not lying, it is 100 feet. The fines can get steep. He was very polite about it and did not give me a ticket, just some education on the subject. @Popwarhomie If you were in Camden County... right across the boarder... I can understand why if it was a Sheriffs Deputy that ticketed you. They are jerks here. In Florida they deemed it unlawful to ticket because of the stereo if I remember correctly... Look up your counties laws on sound regulations and it should lay it out with dollar amounts for the tickets. :(

[quote name='ThxOne']Unfortunately there are in fact laws in place in regards to how loud we can play our music in our cars. At 11pm on a 2x2 road not near any open businesses or residential neighborhoods, I was bumping pretty loud with my windows down. About 200 feet away was a GA State Trooper... he pulled me over, ran all my info then ask if I knew why he pulled me over. Being the smart mouth I am I said "Boredom?" He said no and ask if I could see where he was parked. I said yes. He said he could hear my music from where he was. I ask him why that was an issue being that I was not near any houses or open businesses and just traveling down a road with no traffic. He said there are laws and also said it cannot be heard 100 feet or more away. I said ok. I will go research it.

He was not lying, it is 100 feet. The fines can get steep. He was very polite about it and did not give me a ticket, just some education on the subject. @Popwarhomie If you were in Camden County... right across the boarder... I can understand why if it was a Sheriffs Deputy that ticketed you. They are jerks here. In Florida they deemed it unlawful to ticket because of the stereo if I remember correctly... Look up your counties laws on sound regulations and it should lay it out with dollar amounts for the tickets. :([/QUOTE]

It was Folkston. Dude was a complete dick and after he handed me the ticket said "that thing was pretty impressive" :mad:

Were there/are there any signs posted up? This could be something "new" without you knowing about it just to get more $$ out of us to meet their quota.

Were there/are there any signs posted up? This could be something "new" without you knowing about it just to get more $$ out of us to meet their quota.
This particular section for Camden County Ga was effective Jan 1st 2009:

(b)

Radios, phonographs, other machines or devices that produce sound.

The using, operating or permitting to be played, used or operated any radio receiving

set, musical instrument, phonograph or other

machine or device for the producing or repro-

ducing of sound in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of the neighbor-

ing inhabitants, or at any time with louder vo

lume than is necessary for convenient hearing

for the person who is in the room, vehicle or ch

amber in which such machine or device is op-

erated and who is a voluntary listener thereto.

The operation of any such set, instrument,

phonograph, machine or device between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. in such a

manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet from the building, structure or vehicle

in which it is located shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.

©

Loudspeakers; amplifiers; other devices for production of sound.

The using, operating or permitting to be played, used or operated of any radio receiv-

ing set, musical instruments, phonograph, loudspeaker, sound amplifier or other machine or

device for the producing or reproducing of so

und that is cast upon the public streets.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.