Toasty

tapcola

US
So even with a DD-1 I still am smelling my sub.

I have a HD 900/5 on a Sundown SD 10 D4 at 2ohm In a sealed box . I can smell it when I lean on it. I set the DD-1 with the base knob all the way up and no distortion. The SD is rated at 500w so it should handle the amp. I have 1/0 up to the distribution block and the 4 to the amp , I have done the big 3 also .

Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So even with a DD-1 I still am smelling my sub.I have a HD 900/5 on a Sundown SD 10 D4 at 2ohm In a sealed box . I can smell it when I lean on it. I set the DD-1 with the base knob all the way up and no distortion. The SD is rated at 500w so it should handle the amp. I have 1/0 up to the distribution block and the 4 to the amp , I have done the big 3 also .

Am I missing something?

It sounds like your signal is clipping

[quote name='tapcola']So even with a DD-1 I still am smelling my sub.
I have a HD 900/5 on a Sundown SD 10 D4 at 2ohm In a sealed box . I can smell it when I lean on it. I set the DD-1 with the base knob all the way up and no distortion. The SD is rated at 500w so it should handle the amp. I have 1/0 up to the distribution block and the 4 to the amp , I have done the big 3 also .
Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Nobody caught this statement?! @Jeffdachef Your're supposed to set everything at 0 when setting your gain.

[quote name='tapcola']So even with a DD-1 I still am smelling my sub.
Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You didnt say what test tone you used to set the gain. Just tell the DD-1 to fuck off and back the Sub level on your head unit down until your bass cleans up, do some heat tests and make sure they dont ever smell again and the sub or amp doesnt heat up again. Also turn off any loudness or bass boost(amp or head unit) or bass EQ while you are at it.. here's a whole thread of me taking ripping the DD-1 and multi-meter related methods of gain settings a new one. Dont fall into the noob trap and return that overpriced garbage.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subw...tting-smelly-after-about-10-mins-playing.html

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Nobody caught this statement?! @Jeffdachef Your're supposed to set everything at 0 when setting your gain.[/QUOTE]

proper remote bass knobs should work like a gain knob and its only as much as your gain settings on the amp, it shouldn't be at 0... thats dumb lmao all that is doing is just starting off at a super attenuated state and your initial gain settings will be a lot higher because there's literally no signal going to the amp. While setting the gains with the remote bass knob on max, all you can do from then is lower and attenuate, you cant raise the level past what your gain is.

Well that's disappointing about the DD-1. I get how music plays at different levels. I listen to Google play most of the times .

I used the -10 track the first time ,I turned the gain down a bit . So when setting the gain my knob should be at what position?

You will bag on my HU but it's what I have , specks say 1.5 on the RCAs .I have the base boost at 0 on the HU and no loudness on.

I will look into that $80 o scope that's cheaper than the DD-1.

I'm not found of a sealed box but it's what I have at the moment and I know it gets hot. So I will work on that also . I'm an avid 4 wheeler and got tired of the stock set up .so I have JL C2s up front and in the sound bar and a hd 900/5 I had a stealthbox with the 10 in it but it got punched so I replaced it with the SD 10.

The pic is just for reference.
2dea58fdfa6f90a984c0b9e739a8b8a9.jpg

Well that's disappointing about the DD-1. I get how music plays at different levels. I listen to Google play most of the times .I used the -10 track the first time ,I turned the gain down a bit . So when setting the gain my knob should be at what position?

You will bag on my HU but it's what I have , specks say 1.5 on the RCAs .I have the base boost at 0 on the HU and no loudness on.

I'm not found of a sealed box but it's what I have at the moment and I know it gets hot. So I will work on that also . I'm an avid 4 wheeler and got tired of the stock set up .so I have JL C2s up front and in the sound bar and a hd 900/5 I had a stealthbox with the 10 in it but it got punched so I replaced it with the SD 10.

Tell me that is not your EQ

You didnt say what test tone you used to set the gain. Just tell the DD-1 to fuck off and back the Sub level on your head unit down until your bass cleans up, do some heat tests and make sure they dont ever smell again and the sub or amp doesnt heat up again. Also turn off any loudness or bass boost(amp or head unit) or bass EQ while you are at it.. here's a whole thread of me taking ripping the DD-1 and multi-meter related methods of gain settings a new one. Dont fall into the noob trap and return that overpriced garbage.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/636288-subwoofer-getting-smelly-after-about-10-mins-playing.html

proper remote bass knobs should work like a gain knob and its only as much as your gain settings on the amp, it shouldn't be at 0... thats dumb lmao all that is doing is just starting off at a super attenuated state and your initial gain settings will be a lot higher because there's literally no signal going to the amp. While setting the gains with the remote bass knob on max, all you can do from then is lower and attenuate, you cant raise the level past what your gain is.
True, multiple attenuation controls (gain/volume adjustments) will all have their own sweet spots. Start midpoints and work around those by playing with ONE at a time and find the best balance among them.

John Kuthe...

Well that's disappointing about the DD-1. I get how music plays at different levels. I listen to Google play most of the times .I used the -10 track the first time ,I turned the gain down a bit . So when setting the gain my knob should be at what position?

yikes, there's your other problems all in one... Looks like you have a chinese android unit which is a complete sh*tty and dirty signal from the start, dont even hope getting anything worth while from that, literally a swap to any proper head unit will yield massive gains in SQ, SPL and overall bass frequency response. 1.5 volt pre-out is pretty bad, it'll cause all sorts of distortion and weak bass response, from my personal dealings with head units with weak pre-outs, it makes huge difference.

2nd is your EQ which is literally using bass boost, that 60hz should be at 0

yikes, there's your other problems all in one... Looks like you have a chinese android unit which is a complete sh*tty and dirty signal from the start, dont even hope getting anything worth while from that, literally a swap to any proper head unit will yield massive gains in SQ, SPL and overall bass frequency response. 1.5 volt pre-out is pretty bad, it'll cause all sorts of distortion and weak bass response, from my personal dealings with head units with weak pre-outs, it makes huge difference.
2nd is your EQ which is literally using bass boost, that 60hz should be at 0
Yeah I was afraid of that with the HU , I dont know what I am going to do. I love having the android HU but it has a crappy output .Wish they would have better audio components in them. I'll have to work on it . Thank you for the help! BTW I run that EQ Flat , I have a Audio control Dm 810 usually in the system. But the USB port took a dump so I sent it off to get fixed.

I took a gamble on the HU I might have a to do a swap again.

Yeah I was afraid of that with the HU , I dont know what I am going to do. I love having the android HU but it has a crappy output .Wish they would have better audio components in them. I'll have to work on it . Thank you for the help! BTW I run that EQ Flat , I have a Audio control Dm 810 usually in the system. But the USB port took a dump so I sent it off to get fixed.

I took a gamble on the HU I might have a to do a swap again.

DSP should take care of your issues, just wait till it gets back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tapcola

tapcola
US
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Jeffdachef