best deck pre-2000

youdoofus

Skibidi
reminiscing back to the days that got me hooked on the car audio bug made me think, what is the best deck of yesteryear? Last century. I have some doubt that the Clarion 9255 woudnt put the hurt on most offerings of the time. What are y'alls opinions? There is a certain Pioneer Premier deck that im anticipating seeing mentioned

Eclipse 55040 or 55060. I think they may have come out in 1999. The 55040 was the best SQ head unit I've ever had. 8-volt preouts with 55 ohm line out impedance, no internal amplifier, and no processing. Had basically no features, just well built and sounded fantastic.

They (meaning head unit manufacturers) haven't made them like that in quite some time. Everything, currently, has to come packed with every imaginable feature and SQ pays the price.

One of the best, in that era, was the Sony Mobile ES CDX-C90. With four 20-bit DACs and that DVOL function that bypasses all circuits except volume control, it's SQ was among the highest. The Denon DCT-1 and Rockford Fosgate Rockford Fosgate RFX-8250TI were excellent head units, as well. I think they were made by the same company.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.