What is "SQ" these days?

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
From the day I walked into Columbus Car Audio in Columbus Ohio way back in 1990 and stepped into the room with all the subwoofers in it, I was hooked. The guy let me listen to two iconic 10" subs - The Kicker Comp 10's. Not long after that I was in a buddies Fox Body Mustang and it was the loudest thing I had ever heard. 4 Punch 12's in the hatch with a Punch 150 on each sub.

Some time later I moved back to Clearwater Florida and car stereo shops dotted the landscape. Two of my favorite shops were Stereorama and CarTunes. It was at Stereorama where I began to lean towards the overall sound of the system. At the time, JL Audio and Focal were the main items sold there. I was told to listen to two component sets and tell the guy which I thought sounded best. As weird as it sounds, the Focal 5 1/4" components got better midbass while the JL 6 1/2" components with their silk domes sounded smoother. This is also where I fell in love with JL subs. At CarTunes I was just awestruck at the early 90's white Corvette demo car LOADED with PPI everything.

My roots have been firm from the beginning with Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Focal, JL, Zapco, PPI, Soundstream, and MB Quart. Back in the day, (90's) you couldn't really go wrong with any of them. Well, times change, companies sell out, sometimes quality turns to crap and here we are. So, over two decades later and I have to ask... What is SQ these days? What is/are considered to be the best way(s) to go as far as speakers and amplifiers for sound quality? Just the speakers and amplifiers please. Prep, installation, enclosures, sound deadening and tweaking should be considered a given.

just have a lot of headroom on the amplifier so when you do play loud, you dont get close to any kind of THD or speaker break up. Its the last thing on the list when it comes to sound quality.

This is how a professional acoustics engineer preps his vehicle for sound quality.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive-10.html

A full blown digital sound processor is pretty much a necessity for actual SQ nowadays. Install only takes you so far, the rest is heavy RTA work and tuning.

Before I left Ohio I was able to demo three different brands... RF Power (T3), Hertz (MLK 1650.3 LEGEND) and lastly the Audison (AV K6). To MY ears I think the Hertz had them beat. All demonstrated on the same amp in the same demo room. The Hertz didn't seem as loud as the other two but its sound was more like the singer was there than the other two. I was rooting for the RF's and they were loud but I don't think they are voiced as well as the other two. I would rank these three in this order:

1. Hertz

2. Audison

3. Rockford Fosgate

I know these aren't the only three good sounding speakers out there. What else even comes close for the same price or less??

Sound quality does not have a brand name.
Well I would certainly not run a pair of Sparkomatic whizzer cone speakers over my Kenwood eXcelon's. Kinda off point though. I will rephrase. What other manufacturers of speakers for automobiles are going to be associated with producing quality sound in that price range or less. Apples to Apples not Apples to Plumbs.

Well I would certainly not run a pair of Sparkomatic whizzer cone speakers over my Kenwood eXcelon's. Kinda off point though. I will rephrase. What other manufacturers of speakers for automobiles are going to be associated with producing quality sound in that price range or less. Apples to Apples not Apples to Plumbs.
Install and tuning. You will see $15 raw drivers to $20,000 set of Focals.

Sometimes the $15 wins

I know. I am inquiring as to what everyone else thinks, prefers as far as the actual amps and speakers go.
I don’t think you are tracking. The biggest headache in SQ is the car itself. Eliminating the car is how it is done. It doesn’t matter what you use, if you are listening inside a tin can it won’t sound good.

Once the desired response curve is dialed in and matched on each side, timing is set, vibrations are dampened there isn’t much difference in equipment.

Get gear based on your limitations. Axis, 2 way or 3 way, location.

I don’t think you are tracking. The biggest headache in SQ is the car itself. Eliminating the car is how it is done. It doesn’t matter what you use, if you are listening inside a tin can it won’t sound good. Once the desired response curve is dialed in and matched on each side, timing is set, vibrations are dampened there isn’t much difference in equipment.

Get gear based on your limitations. Axis, 2 way or 3 way, location.
Let me just stop you there. I tracked it just fine 45 minutes before you even posted it. I am asking everyone to theoretically take the car out of the equation. If it must be there then for arguments sake let's assume everyone has done all that you have mentioned. It is not a matter of "I like this name over that name." Every manufacturer uses technology and innovation when creating their product... it's what sets them apart and why a person might choose one brand over another. That being said, for the best sounding set up, what would you the consumer buy for speakers? $300 - $800 range for components. Whatever for amplifiers.

I am not asking how to achieve sound quality. Or how it is judged. I am the panel when it comes to judging MY stereo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ThxOne

Premium Member
The Boss
ThxOne
The United States of America
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date