Do I need an amp for my speakers?

Participant count
  • Participants list

2xarchonxx

Hey guys, new to the forum, been reading a lot of stuff here and finally have a question of my own about whether I should get an amp for my 4 speakers.

About my setup: So I'm converting a minibus into a road trip camping machine and put in a JVC head unit @ 4x50W RMS that I'm running 4 Kicker 43CSC654 (100W RMS 300W peak, 4ohm) speakers off of. I have 2 10" Kicker L7 solobaric subs running off a JL Audio 1400W RMS Amp (They sound great and fill the bus chassis perfectly)

My Question: The head unit puts out 50W RMS to each speaker but the speakers are rated for 100W RMS. They sound good, but my question is would they sound a lot better with an amp? Enough to justify spending another $150-200? Only reason I'm debating it is because I've already got $500 into the whole setup and am trying to budget decently to have funds for the rest of the conversion. But if they will perform significantly better with an amp then I'll spend the money lol

A few things.

The HU is not 50 watts. That’s max. Real power is closer to 10 per channel.

The JL amp is 1x 400 not 1400.

If you would have came here first you could have done better.

But the answer is always yes to the amp needed question.

Ah yeah you're probably right about the head unit. Here is the one I have: KD-RD87BT?In-Dash Receivers?JVC USA - Products -

If it is only like 10W RMS each channel then I'll definitely need an amp. I'm actually surprised they sound as good as they do if that head unit is only 10W RMS.

Just looked up my JL amp and it's 500Wx1 RMS 1400W Peak, all the labels are way too misleading on audio equipment. I got the amp, 2 subs, and enclosure for $180 on facebook marketplace. I don't wanna drive them any harder though, it will rattle my bus apart if they go any harder. I have them turned down to like half as it is.

Well dang, I thought I was getting a hell of a deal. I looked up the prices of the subs and amp and they were like $700.

What amp would you recommend for those 4 speakers?

Ah yeah you're probably right about the head unit. Here is the one I have: KD-RD87BT?In-Dash Receivers?JVC USA - Products -
If it is only like 10W RMS each channel then I'll definitely need an amp. I'm actually surprised they sound as good as they do if that head unit is only 10W RMS.

Just looked up my JL amp and it's 500Wx1 RMS 1400W Peak, all the labels are way too misleading on audio equipment. I got the amp, 2 subs, and enclosure for $180 on facebook marketplace. I don't wanna drive them any harder though, it will rattle my bus apart if they go any harder. I have them turned down to like half as it is.

Well dang, I thought I was getting a hell of a deal. I looked up the prices of the subs and amp and they were like $700.

deal-wise, i dont think you did anywhere near bad on that as long as theyre not beat to hell.

always look for RMS on stuff, the peak number is a lie, always a lie.

amp selection depends on your budget. This guy is awesome for its price, but there are lesser costly amps we can suggest too

yeah if u paid a good low used price u ok.. we just don't like new jl prices

Yeah the subs are in pretty decent shape, a little dirty from working on the bus grinding metal and what not. One of them is just slightly stiff like when you push it in and out but that's it.

I'd like to stick to ~$100-150 range if I can. We have a ton of audio equipment on facebook marketplace here in louisville, I'll look real quick to see if either of those fellas are on there or something similar. Basically need class A/B @ 4x50W-100W RMS right? If I find a good deal is it okay if I post it here?

Can I run 4 speakers off of a 2 channel amp? Or does it absolutely have to be 4 channel?
I guess wiring them in parallel would pull too much current, and series would pull too little?
you can run 4 off a 2 channel as long as the amp is 2 ohm stable, which most are. youll just not be able to fade. the amp will get hot at 2 ohm if youre giving it a workout

I'd like to stick to ~$100-150 range if I can. We have a ton of audio equipment on facebook marketplace here in louisville, I'll look real quick to see if either of those fellas are on there or something similar. Basically need class A/B @ 4x50W-100W RMS right? If I find a good deal is it okay if I post it here?
you can do well for yourself in that price range in the used market too. also check the classifieds on here. many trustworthy sellers with pretty decent stuff. class a/b will do, but a full range class d will be much more efficient which gets you more watts per volt/ampere drawn from your vehicles electrical system

Can I run 4 speakers off of a 2 channel amp? Or does it absolutely have to be 4 channel?
I guess wiring them in parallel would pull too much current, and series would pull too little?
i've done it but like udo said if u drive long time or park and play a/b will get hot after a while at 2 ohm.. since u like used man pioneer kenwood etc 4 chans always on fb offer up and cl for like $30-$80.. soundqubed has 4 chan for $149 but the pioneers are real strong sometimes u can find the 8604 ( i think it is) for like $91 on sale ebay 15% off or walmart sale

Right on, ill check the classifieds here, I didn't even think about that. Class D amps are good to use on speakers? I heard that they distort on higher frequencies and should only be used on subs.

Also, I might need to use the speaker level inputs from the HU because getting more RCA cables through the dash of that bus might not be possible. Do all amps allow speaker level inputs, or just some? It's the high level input connector on the amp right?

Right on, ill check the classifieds here, I didn't even think about that. Class D amps are good to use on speakers? I heard that they distort on higher frequencies and should only be used on subs.
Also, I might need to use the speaker level inputs from the HU because getting more RCA cables through the dash of that bus might not be possible. Do all amps allow speaker level inputs, or just some? It's the high level input connector on the amp right?
That is BS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.