RCA plugs on a Bridged 4 ch amp.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello

This may sound as a dumb question but, On a 4 ch amp that you are going to bridge into 2 ch, do you have to have all 4 RCA plugs plugged into the amp ? Or are only 2 ch RCA from the sub output from the HU ok. And where would you plug the 2 sub channels from HU into what RCA ports on 4 ch.

I have the Pioneer HU that has 6 ch output with the 2 sub output RCA cables ran into a Y adapter so to use all 4 RCA inputs on the amp in a 2 ch bridged mode. It sounds good so, is there a wrong or a right way to do it on RCA's. I understand how to wire the output speakers into a 2 ch bridged mode but i have never read or see any listing of the RCA side of a bridged 4 ch amp on the proper way to do it.

Thanks

It depends on the amp, some amps have a switch for 2 or 4 channel input, others require Y adapters, that info should be in the manual.

It depends on the amp, some amps have a switch for 2 or 4 channel input, others require Y adapters, that info should be in the manual.
It did not say in manual if all 4 RCA had to be used. But it only said about bridging to 2 ch the speaker wires. The Kenwood XR400-4 amp So that is why i am asking the question. I did install the amp with the Y adapters to all 4 ch

the subs sound ok though and don't seam to have any issues.

It did not say in manual if all 4 RCA had to be used. But it only said about bridging to 2 ch the speaker wires. The Kenwood XR400-4 amp So that is why i am asking the question. I did install the amp with the Y adapters to all 4 chthe subs sound ok though and don't seam to have any issues.
That amp has a switch, set the "Input Sel." switch to "A" then you only use "Line In A" no Y's needed.

That amp has a switch, set the "Input Sel." switch to "A" then you only use "Line In A" no Y's needed.
oh ok i saw that switch but it did not specify that what it was for. But for now i have it set to A/B and using a Y adapter and 4ch. Will that hurt it ? Personally i don't think so but let me know if i'm wrong.

Bass sounds good though. I just may have to reach under seat and fix it to A switch and plug only 2 RCA in.

Thanks

Do you have 4 rca already ran? Just plug them all in like normal then switch to bridged if that’s what that switch is. The amp should pull whatever signal it needs with all 4 rca connected..
yes i already have the 4 ch with Y adapters plugged in. I have it set up with the R rca set to R side of amp and L rca set to L side of amp. So if there is a portion of a song they will go from side to side like R to L the subs will make it so. There has been many rock songs that have one channel of song then the other channel kicks in. Allen Parson Project has a few songs like that the move from side to side in the songs and everything matches. I have heard rock drum solos that do the same. So when many installers say just use a mono sub amp or a single channel on a 2 ch amp, they miss out on the songs that were recorded with any of the sound moving from left to right. One song that comes to mind is

Van Halen - Everybody Wants Some!! the drum intro moves left to right. You can really hear it pronounced in a pair of headphones. but, in my car sound system it you can also hear it move L to R. This is how the Artist intended for it to be heard. I know you pro installers out there know what I'm talking about. Some have commented to me that i should just install a mono sub amp in my system and wire to 2 ohm. but NO WAY. that just me. I respect all own tastes.

But everyone has there own taste on music. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.