15" SA v3's Noise...

Participant count
  • Participants list

East
10+ year member

Team New England
So just bought a complete kit of (2) SA 15 V3's, Machete Alphard M2000.1, 42hz 7ft^3 box, got it real cheap but it all looked in good condition and the guy had them less than a year.

So I brought them home hooked up the Alphard Machete to my 18" BTL and it sounded great, put out lots of power barely got warm... Nice amp is good. So then I drug the 15's out to my car and hooked them upto the amp and it hit pretty **** hard that's until I went to my normal listening volume and then 1 of the subs started to sound like it was bottoming out or hitting the pole piece or something. So I hooked up the other sub alone and it did the same thing but a somewhat higher volume... I took the subs out checked the wiring over and I was at .5 ohm which this amp doesn't support, but the guy who sold them to me had them wired this way the whole time. I messaged him he said he had no issue with them when he sold them and they didnt make any noises.

So are my subs fucked or what? Sundown rep said the SA v3's cannot bottom out the most they can do is hit the spider from max excursion. I was playing a high frequency song too and the amp is properly set. Theres no scratching when I push on the subs, coils look good in gap, read good on dmm, dustcap and everything is fully intact, no rips and the subs make the noise outside of box freeair as well.

Did I get screwed or is there a simple answer to this? because I've watched multiple videos of SA15 v3's taking 3k daily and I gave them a measly 2k.

So just bought a complete kit of (2) SA 15 V3's, Machete Alphard M2000.1, 42hz 7ft^3 box, got it real cheap but it all looked in good condition and the guy had them less than a year.
So I brought them home hooked up the Alphard Machete to my 18" BTL and it sounded great, put out lots of power barely got warm... Nice amp is good. So then I drug the 15's out to my car and hooked them upto the amp and it hit pretty **** hard that's until I went to my normal listening volume and then 1 of the subs started to sound like it was bottoming out or hitting the pole piece or something. So I hooked up the other sub alone and it did the same thing but a somewhat higher volume... I took the subs out checked the wiring over and I was at .5 ohm which this amp doesn't support, but the guy who sold them to me had them wired this way the whole time. I messaged him he said he had no issue with them when he sold them and they didnt make any noises.

So are my subs fucked or what? Sundown rep said the SA v3's cannot bottom out the most they can do is hit the spider from max excursion. I was playing a high frequency song too and the amp is properly set. Theres no scratching when I push on the subs, coils look good in gap, read good on dmm, dustcap and everything is fully intact, no rips and the subs make the noise outside of box freeair as well.

Did I get screwed or is there a simple answer to this? because I've watched multiple videos of SA15 v3's taking 3k daily and I gave them a measly 2k.
42hz tuned box?.. are you trying to wang away way under tuning (hopefully the SSF is set correctly)?.. I'm assuming it's a ported box

It's a ported box. I'm not trying to do anything , normally I'd build my own box but this came with it and it seems like a solid box. Also I don't see how 42hz would cause this noise, the guy ran this at events and had no issues he said.'

SSF is set correctly. HPF is set correctly. Sounded fine on my 18" BTL tuned to 35hz not so much on these 15's. Could the amp be fucked up from running .5 ohm and be causing this? It literally sounds like the cone is slapping the spider or the pole piece which I dont see how thats possible this isnt a recone.

a 42hz tuned box wont agree with anything resembling lows or slammin songs IMO... probably play old school rap/rock and compete in bass boxing/SPl well though in certain cabin sizes, 33-34hz and under you'll notice a ton of output loss and basically sound like youre freeairing the subs I think.

That doesn't make much sense... I've seen just about every sub configuration playing in the low 40's with no issue. I couldn't even compete with this setup like this the moment it gets loud it makes that ****** sound. I understand 42 is high but I was playing music in the 38-40hz range. The previous owner played this system daily in this box and said he had no issues. I mean I could be wrong but we just tuned my buddys wall to 48hz and hes running 4 SA15's on 4500w, so I don't get how that would make any sense in my situation. I could see it if the box was too big but its to spec.

Hmm I’ve had a similar problem before not with SAs though. Turn up the SSf and see if shedders idea works. I had my LPF set too high and they would pop right before my max volume level. Try both and see if you have any results.

Did they stop popping and sound good? I'll give it a go. But the box and subs are too heavy to lift right now alone so will have to wait a couple days. So any and all suggestions are welcome.

What did you set your SSF to? I believe mines set to 25-30 right now. I usually set my SSF to around 20-30hz but maybe with this 42hz box thats too low?

I kept mine between 25-30. You should be fine at 25hz. Once I dropped my LPF to around 70-80 the popping noise went away and they sounded great. I’d keep it at whatever level is giving you that issue and have someone turn the LPF down slowly.

Is yours making that popping noise I’m talking about though?

Yes its popping, hard to explain.. kind of sounds like its vibrating off something like a hollow vibrating sound. Almost sounds like its bottoming out or something.

Yes its popping, hard to explain.. kind of sounds like its vibrating off something like a hollow vibrating sound. Almost sounds like its bottoming out or something.

Sounds exactly what I was dealing with and I had multiple setups before and never that issue. Almost sounded like the dust cap was popping/vibrating. Once I did that problem solved they played for almost a year I sold them and the guy is still runnin them today. Try both of those methods and see if that helps. Good luck!

If the SSF being raised don't cure it (I'd set it for around 30-32hz with that high of a tune BTW in a ported box, maybe higher) I'd be surprised... the SSF setting difference for a set of 18" at 35hz tuned and the SA-15's with a 42hz tune should be very different... quite a bit higher for the 15's at that tune.

"Buddy's wall tuned to 48hz"... sounds like a 4th unless I'm way off and that's a whole different animal than a ported box.

Did they stop popping and sound good? I'll give it a go. But the box and subs are too heavy to lift right now alone so will have to wait a couple days. So any and all suggestions are welcome.
What did you set your SSF to? I believe mines set to 25-30 right now. I usually set my SSF to around 20-30hz but maybe with this 42hz box thats too low?
6 hz below tuning so set it 35-36hz.. u need lower tuned box..

Sub is blown or amp is blown. Amps can lose control of woofers. I had a situation where I built a box and one of the 2 15's was bottoming out and it wound up being either the amp was blown or the coil had come off the former, something like that.

If your amp is bad it can cause a situation where the amp is throwing the subs so hard that they bottom out, even though the amp is still playing. It's a difficult issue to figure out. Get a dmm or fluke or whatever and start reading coils.

IF sub was blown though coils wouldn't be reading perfect, all of them on both subs read exactly 2.2ohm. No scratch or rub on the subs, nothing they basically look brand new. The amplifier is supposidly a month old but the old owner was running it at .5 ohm and i dont think it even supports .5 ohm it's a Alphard Machete 2000.1... funny enough i been running my 18 on it and its been making weird noises too but I just reconed the 18 so I figured it was a **** recone job since it was my first recone job, maybe the amp is screwed. How can I tell if the amplifiers bad? I have a Wolfram 4500.1 I guess I could test the subs on but I don't have my electrical and **** hooked up for that.

I have a DMM and Fluke. So what do I look for and how do I test it? I'm pretty sure the coils on the 15's are fine like I said reads 2.2 on DMM on both subs all coils and no rub at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.