Sign in to follow this  
kgcolby

Speaker options

Option 1)

NVX 6.5 Component

Option 2)

JBL GTO609 Component

Does anyone have experience with these two? I'm looking at getting a set for my front as the stock scion XB speakers are blah. I can't stand scratchy treble.

The JBL have a nice reputation built for them.

Midbass will require a proper install with proper door treatments but if you are ok with letting a sub cover lower midbass you can skimp a little though it's not really recommended

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4

Pioneer touch screen with front and rear cam

Memphis viv component run active

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

2 jl 13tw5-3 in subthump understeat box

Option 1)

NVX 6.5 Component

Option 2)

JBL GTO609 Component

Does anyone have experience with these two? I'm looking at getting a set for my front as the stock scion XB speakers are blah. I can't stand scratchy treble.

I have no experience with the NVX but the JBL I do. Not that exact same set but rather the JBL GTO608C's and matching coaxials. winkychevelle is 100% spot on about the midbass as it was a struggle to get decent midbass. They were a hair louder than my current Kenwood eXcelons with the same amp, most likely due to the lower impedance and the treble was a bit harsher but tolerable. I'd recommend them (JBL) to a friend.

HU - eXcelon KDC-X998

Components - eXcelon XR-1700P - front

Coaxials - eXcelon KFC-X174 - rear fill

Sub - Single RF Punch P3D4 (@ 2ohms) 10" Labyrinth slot port enclosure

Sub Amp - Punch Prime 1200-D <-- it's a beast.

Full Range Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann

150a Alternator - Sky High Cables - Stinger Distribution Blocks - Big 4 upgrade

I have no experience with the NVX but the JBL I do. Not that exact same set but rather the JBL GTO608C's and matching coaxials. winkychevelle is 100% spot on about the midbass as it was a struggle to get decent midbass. They were a hair louder than my current Kenwood eXcelons with the same amp, most likely due to the lower impedance and the treble was a bit harsher but tolerable. I'd recommend them (JBL) to a friend.

I've always been a huge fan of JBL since the power series 10 ish years ago.

The JBL have a nice reputation built for them.

Midbass will require a proper install with proper door treatments but if you are ok with letting a sub cover lower midbass you can skimp a little though it's not really recommended

I would most likely prep the door perfectly first as I don't think I'll be getting a sub any time soon. I plan on putting sound barrier inside the doors + foam ring around the speaker to prevent vibrations.

I noticed that they don't offer mid woofers only in the matching line. Would it be weird to buy two sets of the components and not use the tweeters in the back set? or should I just get a 2way coax for more and call it a day.

I would most likely prep the door perfectly first as I don't think I'll be getting a sub any time soon. I plan on putting sound barrier inside the doors + foam ring around the speaker to prevent vibrations.

I noticed that they don't offer mid woofers only in the matching line. Would it be weird to buy two sets of the components and not use the tweeters in the back set? or should I just get a 2way coax for more and call it a day.

I run coaxials for simplicity on my rear channels of my amp and their volume is just about half of the volume of the front components, if that. They are just for rear ambient fill. It wouldn't be weird to run two component sets... it can sound pretty good. I'd run the tweeters.

HU - eXcelon KDC-X998

Components - eXcelon XR-1700P - front

Coaxials - eXcelon KFC-X174 - rear fill

Sub - Single RF Punch P3D4 (@ 2ohms) 10" Labyrinth slot port enclosure

Sub Amp - Punch Prime 1200-D <-- it's a beast.

Full Range Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann

150a Alternator - Sky High Cables - Stinger Distribution Blocks - Big 4 upgrade

I wonder why Sonic says that the GTO609 will not fit. 6.5" mid +tweeter... maybe the depth? or should I ignore that suggested sizing?

Please do look into door treatments a little more.

Look at keephopealive's build logs on the site he is an acoustical engineer and has a detailed build log on proper sound deadening and isolation.

Without proper door treatment u won't be doing the drivers justice

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-POLK-AUDIO-DB5251-5-25-CAR-AUDIO-MARINE-CERTIFIED-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS/272014652739?hash=item3f55563543:g:b4cAAOSwYHxWHDfC

I placed these in a neighbors 02 Eclipse about a month ago on a PPI 600.2 up front and a SStream USA 100 on the rear wit a PPI 1000.1D and a single XFL 12 and he is enjoying the mids and highs very well.Sounds pretty good for the money spent on the speakers and at 2 ohm up front we added another set of tweets in the doors, rears at 4 ohm, sub at 1ohm 2.0@32 htz Big 3 , 0ga supply and 4ga to amps

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

I have had bad luck with JBL speakers, just my opinion. However they are $80 components, how can you complain about their sound? Lol

I have had bad luck with JBL speakers, just my opinion. However they are $80 components, how can you complain about their sound? Lol

Never used their car speakers only in-home and car Sub/Amp. Sounded better then anything else at Frys other then the $140 infinity

Look at keephopealive's build logs on the site he is an acoustical engineer and has a detailed build log on proper sound deadening and isolation.

Thank you for the info!

I'm reading his article.. Why doesn't he fill the whole door and only partial pieces everywhere? Photobucket

I'm reading his article.. Why doesn't he fill the whole door and only partial pieces everywhere? Photobucket

Sometimes it comes down to access and ease of install. It may hard to get the full in those particular holes or it may interfere with window track and wiring.

General idea is to fo as much as possible and experiment.

The main thing with mid bass is sealing the doors so they act like and enclosure and sealing the front of the speaker to the door planner so you don't lose output by trapping the waves inside the panel or transferring them to the panel.

The full simply absorbs high frequencies and cleans up the midrange and lower high range.

If you ever fell as though the tweeters are too bright try throwing a fleece blanket on the dash this will help absorb reflecting waves. If it helps for long term buy a dash mat it will protect the dash and help the sound system in most cases

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

Sometimes it comes down to access and ease of install. It may hard to get the full in those particular holes or it may interfere with window track and wiring.

General idea is to fo as much as possible and experiment.

The main thing with mid bass is sealing the doors so they act like and enclosure and sealing the front of the speaker to the door planner so you don't lose output by trapping the waves inside the panel or transferring them to the panel.

The full simply absorbs high frequencies and cleans up the midrange and lower high range.

If you ever fell as though the tweeters are too bright try throwing a fleece blanket on the dash this will help absorb reflecting waves. If it helps for long term buy a dash mat it will protect the dash and help the sound system in most cases

Got it thank you.