Recommend a single subwoofer for small ported box

Participant count
  • Participant list

gordos420
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm talking to Buck for a box design but now I want to hear some recommendations for subwoofers. The stipulations are they have to be able to handle 1500 watts, excel in a smaller ported box (aiming for ~2 cubes), size of sub isn't a factor because it just needs to work in a smaller box, and also, this will be an upgrade from some old Alpine Type R's, so I would like for it to sound better. I'm leaning towards a DC Audio Level 4 12" but want to hear more options. I haven't been on this forum in almost 6 years.

I'm talking to Buck for a box design but now I want to hear some recommendations for subwoofers. The stipulations are they have to be able to handle 1500 watts, excel in a smaller ported box (aiming for ~2 cubes), size of sub isn't a factor because it just needs to work in a smaller box, and also, this will be an upgrade from some old Alpine Type R's, so I would like for it to sound better. I'm leaning towards a DC Audio Level 4 12" but want to hear more options. I haven't been on this forum in almost 6 years.
some don't like dc subs.. look at fu750 and 1200 they cheap for alot of sub too.. FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio

in that case, you should be looking into something that is 1k rms. I personally like the SA12, as the owner actually designed the sub( and will handle 1k with no clipping).. not a design bought and mass produced in china like a lot of others.

That said, my recommendation is because you will have to fight "box rise". this will raise the impedance of the woofer, which equals less power. you wanna get you sub to see full output, or your leaving $ on the table. 2 cu ft is great size for an sa.

there are other options that have been mentioned, ssa, fu, your dc etc..

When wiring at 1 ohm, check what the 2ohm power is from the amp.. thats about what your amp will put out after box rise.

in that case, you should be looking into something that is 1k rms. I personally like the SA12, as the owner actually designed the sub( and will handle 1k with no clipping).. not a design bought and mass produced in china like a lot of others.
That said, my recommendation is because you will have to fight "box rise". this will raise the impedance of the woofer, which equals less power. you wanna get you sub to see full output, or your leaving $ on the table. 2 cu ft is great size for an sa.

there are other options that have been mentioned, ssa, fu, your dc etc..

When wiring at 1 ohm, check what the 2ohm power is from the amp.. thats about what your amp will put out after box rise.
Oh i forgot to calculate for the dreaded box rise. You made a great point. Thanks for the great input. I was looking at the FI bl v3, Soundqubed Hdc3, DC Audio Level 4, FU Audio has a b stock sub for around the same price. So I'll add the sa12 to the mix and do some more research

Oh i forgot to calculate for the dreaded box rise. You made a great point. Thanks for the great input. I was looking at the FI bl v3, Soundqubed Hdc3, DC Audio Level 4, FU Audio has a b stock sub for around the same price. So I'll add the sa12 to the mix and do some more research
for the $ fu is hard to beat.. right now i'm debating between replcing my 750 d4 i just sold with a d2 or get 3 fu300's for $150 during the sale.. that 750 will take 1500 but the new 1200 looks so awesome if i had the power i'd get that.. my buddy has the 1250 with 1600rms those cones are nice (can hear him coming 2 mins before i see him).. have u sen popwars videos of his 8 750's destroying his windshield and roof (as in cracked the seem like 3 times) lol..

XFL in 2.0 to 2.4 is just about right and will get down,Set up and tuned they can sound pretty clean with preperations/ deadening loose and hollow cheap panels

do you already own the audiopipe amp?
Yeah I had it from a previous build

for the $ fu is hard to beat.. right now i'm debating between replcing my 750 d4 i just sold with a d2 or get 3 fu300's for $150 during the sale.. that 750 will take 1500 but the new 1200 looks so awesome if i had the power i'd get that.. my buddy has the 1250 with 1600rms those cones are nice (can hear him coming 2 mins before i see him).. have u sen popwars videos of his 8 750's destroying his windshield and roof (as in cracked the seem like 3 times) lol..
I haven't seen that video.. Is it on youtube? The 750's are rated at only 750 rms. Will they actually be able to handle more power than that?

I’ve listened to an FU 750 on 900 watts rms with rebassed Metallica and my initial reaction was like “hollow shtz that is loud”. I have an SA-12 and it’s loud but for any kind of SQ it is lacking in that department. To be fair though I haven’t given it a proper ported box yet, just a sealed box, and comparing it to an Alpine SWS 12 D4 in a sealed box. The amplifier pushing both is a Infinity K1000 that has been shown on Bigblank69 dyno test to put out over 1200 certified and almost 1600 dynamic.

I would agree with Gramps, the Fu Audio line is hard to beat for the money. I had two FU 300 10D4 subs and those sounded dam good for such an inexpensive subwoofer.

Yeah I had it from a previous build

I haven't seen that video.. Is it on youtube? The 750's are rated at only 750 rms. Will they actually be able to handle more power than that?
lol peeps here gave me crap for 6 months over just running 930 rms to mine., guys here run 1200-1800rms to them.. fu rms rating are basically after box rise ratings.. i will have 1100 on mine could be 850 after rise because my amp does good power at 2 ohm but clamped still probably only 450-500rms and i assure u it can take more.. guy ran 8000 watts (i believe it was) to 4 fu 300 12's does that tell u anything? a guy just posted box fb fu page his 2 fu 300's on 293 rms from a boss amp hit 143db idk it showed the meter (750's need much more power though) i like the basket on the 750 but that 1200 is insane looking many peeps would run 2k-3k to a 1200 or 1250 no problem.. here's 1 vid i could find look at his windshield

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.