speakers popping / crackle at high volume.

Need help bad.

Toyota 04 Tocoma x-cab

Pioneer FH-S701BS 3 ch RCA front, Rear, Sub

2-PG RX 400.4 amps. One bridged to 2 ch subs, other one to 4 ch components mid &tweeters

Speakers, front components CDT 6.5, rear CDT components 5.25, not sure if 2 or 4 ohm model speakers.

subs, 2 Polk 8" in old kicker substation tube boxes.

So my problem is that i have the mid speakers popping or crackling at high volume. Sounds as if the cone is over extended, that kind of popping sound. When i turn down the volume a little it goes away. But if i turn up volume they pop on some songs but not all songs. I have adjusted the crossover settings on the amp to a little higher so not to introduce to much bass or low end sound. but then my mid bass sound is kind of not there. Sounds as if the bass guitar sound is missing or low sounding on say a rock song. I have also adjusted the gain down a little also. The system sounds nice and loud but say like 75% but i can not crank it up for say. I have the pioneer HU crossover set at the 80 hz both on the sub low pass and front, rear high pass settings.

I believe i have had an issue in last few years with the CDT speakers components. I purchased them from a rep here on Car audio forum. The problem is my older Boston Acoustic amp was running hot and shut down after a little wile of high volume. The problem is that, recently as i looked into the problem i found out that a 2 ohm speakers makes the amp put out higher power which also increase heat. And i found out when looking on CDT wed site they have 2 ohm speakers. I did not know there where 2 ohm speakers made out there. Not many only a few but they do. So i do not know if i was sold the 2 ohm or 4 ohm CDT speakers. It does not say on speakers. And i don't have the original box.

I do not know if the CDT speakers can be causing my problem. Also maybe there is a different problem that is causing the speakers to pop at high volume. I have been messing with it last few hours after i just installed the PG amps i got. I got the 2 PG amps for free so i installed them and they have built in fans. The PG RX 400.4 has 75w 4 channel. I bridged the one PG to the subs with 200w 2 ch.

Now on PG web site the amps are rated at 100w at 2 ohm 4 ch. So if i got the 2 ohm CDT speakers model then i should have only about 100w at 4 ch correct. I believe the CDT are rated to 150 rms.

I had been running the sound system at a fairly hi volume for a little wile and the PG amp was fairly hot even with built in fan. The PG bass amp was warm but not real hot like the other amp was. I just can not figure it out why they are popping or like i say sound as if the cone is over extending and that is what the pop sound is. It is not a popping sound do to any wiring and something like that.

Oh i forgot to say that i have 2 sets of Polk Audio MM component speakers waiting to be installed.

6.5 and 5.25 and they are 4 ohm rated.

So if anyone can help me figure this out. I need it bad.

Is it possible you blew one of them? Is the crackling coming from all or just one or two? From what you described about the Boston Acoustic amp it sounds like you drove them hard at some point and now they are acting up after switching in some different amps. Maybe plug/hook in a different mid driver to the amp and test if the same result, might be the amps fault...or tweek the gain and crossover more...I have my Front and Rear crossover set at 120Hz personally. Can those mid drivers hit 80ish Hz? I have an 8" Skar and it is only rated at 90Hz and up.

Is it possible you blew one of them? Is the crackling coming from all or just one or two? From what you described about the Boston Acoustic amp it sounds like you drove them hard at some point and now they are acting up after switching in some different amps. Maybe plug/hook in a different mid driver to the amp and test if the same result, might be the amps fault...or tweek the gain and crossover more...I have my Front and Rear crossover set at 120Hz personally. Can those mid drivers hit 80ish Hz? I have an 8" Skar and it is only rated at 90Hz and up.
You cleerly do not know da way. Skar is owneded by a guy who usus his head as a butt plugg.

i think tomorrow i will just replace the CDT speakers with the Polk Audio MM components i spoke about that are 4 ohm rated and see if that fixes my problem. I have the car in back yard with seats out and i have time this weekend do to the holiday off work.

Well i don't think the speakers is blown because it still works. And yes it happens on not just one speaker but others too. I said i did adjust the crossover a little higher to about i think 90 or 100 . The PG amps don't have a good list of numbers on the crossover. it just say 40hz on one side and 400hz on the other. so when you turn from left to right it goes up. so i have it a little over the 1/4 way up from 40. Plus i said the pioneer HU has the built in crossover i have set to 80hz

Also i have turned off or turned down any loudness or volume increase setting on the Pioneer HU. This Pioneer has extra volume settings that you can raise the volume on any speaker like RR, RF,LR,LF Sub they set to 0. Now the Pioneer also has the crossover DB cut off slop setting on the crossover 12, 18, 24, 36 the sub is set to 24 and the component speakers set to 12. Don't know if that effects anything.

i think tomorrow i will just replace the CDT speakers with the Polk Audio MM components i spoke about that are 4 ohm rated and see if that fixes my problem. I have the car in back yard with seats out and i have time this weekend do to the holiday off work.
The Polk MM series comps are not 4 ohms. They're actually 2.7 ohms. I know because I have 2 sets.

Well i have had the Boston Acoustic amps and the CDT speakers in for over 3 years now. I would guess the speakers were played kind of hard. to answer your question. Turning up the volume to some Judas Priest or other rock sounds good. Boston Acoustics GTA-704 70w rms by 4 ch. The BA amps where strong amps. They could of put a lot of stress on the speakers, even when they where i believe the 2 ohm model. I say 2 ohm model because the BA amp used to get hot and shut down after playing kind of loud for i'd say 30 min or so. I got 2 amps direct when BA was selling out the last of them before getting out of car audio business.

As I said I will change out the speakers tomorrow and then see what happens. I have been installing my own sound systems in my car way back to lat 90's. i have never had this happen before. I have always installed your standard 4 ohm load system. So when i found out that there was a 2 ohm speaker what!! I thought they were all 4 ohm. Like i said i have not seen many 2 ohm component speakers.

Well if anyone has any more help please let me know.

The Polk MM series comps are not 4 ohms. They're actually 2.7 ohms. I know because I have 2 sets.
What!!!!!! 2.7 ohm Yes the MM6501 6.5 and the MM 5.25 model too. I found them last year on the Polk Audio ebay store. Factory refurbished direct from Polk Audio. So i will be right back. I will check my Polk speakers.

OH DAMM !!! your right 2.7 ohm so now what. That also defeats my purpose of the overheating issue i had with 2 ohm speakers causing the amp to produce more power and heat. The 2 PG amps have built in fans maybe that will help.

You don't have any issues with your system. What amp watts you have powering them. then why do i have this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh i should of look at your audio listing what you have. Soundstream Rubicon 4.500 75w rms. sound good. I looked on Polk Audio web site and see the newer 6502 are 4 ohm. Now how will this effect my new Polk speakers tomorrow when i install them. Are they going to pop too. The PG RX 400.4 amp i have is almost same power as the Soundstream Rubicon 4.500. I guess i will see or hear when i install them. I guess i will give am update when i finish.

Sounds like your gains are too high up if the amp is cutting g out at high volume. I'd check wiring and ground. Also if you have insufficient wire going to amps it could cause your issue. Lastly make sure your spkrs are wired to your amps not below the ohm rating the amps can't handle.

Sounds like your gains are too high up if the amp is cutting g out at high volume. I'd check wiring and ground. Also if you have insufficient wire going to amps it could cause your issue. Lastly make sure your spkrs are wired to your amps not below the ohm rating the amps can't handle.
the amp is not cutting out the speakers are popping like it sounds as if the cone is over extending its self. That popping noise. i know the wiring is good. 4g and 10g and it is wired into a 4 ohm load but, the speakers are 2 ohm rated. The PG amps will run a 2 ohm load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.