Active Vs Passive Power Required For Comps

Participant count
  • Participant list

giltyler

Senior VIP Member
In the past I always ran passive crossovers that came with the components and in the really old days caps and coils to do the filtering.

Now I want to try Active and want to know what Power output I need since the network will not be wasting power.

Will a small 4 channel Hertz or Audison be enough 60x4

Components will be higher end mainstream or basics from hertz Audison etc

Ram 2500 front door and dash location

The extra power comes in handy when dealing with the reactive nature of all the different components in the passive crossover, combined with the reactive nature of the drivers. They can pose difficult loads to the amplifier because of the multiple inductive and capacitive phase angles and the cost of that is a looser "grip" on the driver itself. A few watts will make most drivers sing, all the extra power goes mostly into controlling the circuit/drivers during the wildly varying waveforms and amplitudes that music is composed of. So you need a few watts to get going and a few more to get going louder, all the while having tens to hundreds on tap for the necessary dynamics. You basically have a direct grip on the driver in an active scenario, and this offers better control.

Active. You can use the point and slope that fits your install. You can have more tuning ability in the tweeters intensity.

Timing if it’s greatly different.

Passive. You can’t do any of that.

Power is not the deciding factor, it’s no factor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.