Power and sound quality?

Xesar1988

So lets say some amps put out good power but some brands are preffered over others and will be bought more ofte. Because of sound quality? My question is with a preamp eq does that even matter? Will a eq make a less sq amp sound just as good as one that comes with good sq?

Amps should not color sound. Speakers and the car do.

Most can’t hear a difference.

The ones that say they can make up words to describe what they hear. Words that have no meaning.

Get quality. Be happy.

I swapped a Pioneer PRS 4200 Amplifier with its budget cousin that cost half as much. Both are class D, both are 75 watts rms x 4. I could not tell a difference in sound between the two. I did however notice a huge different in output between an old 25 year old Alpine amplifier and a new for the time (2014) Kenwood Amplifier of the same rated power. I suspected that difference was because the Alpine was under rated, but not sure.

Added note, the Alpine vs Kenwood were both 2 channel amps bridged to drive a W3v3 8” subwoofer. The difference was the Kenwood sounded flat and lifeless and the Alpine lively and dynamic. I also noticed this when I compared that Alpine to my NVX mini mono amp. Again the Alpine sounded lively and dynamic vs the NVX that sounded flat. The NVX is rated 200 watts rms vs 160 for the Alpine. The gains were set using the DVM method and the results are repeatable.

My advice is to get the best amplifier your budget allows but also get an amplifier that puts out 125% - 150% of the power you really need, especially with subwoofers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amps should not color sound. Speakers and the car do. Most can’t hear a difference.

The ones that say they can make up words to describe what they hear. Words that have no meaning.

Get quality. Be happy.
This is correct.......as long as the amp has low noise (hopefully no noise) and is not clipped, they sound the same, they just amplify the signal. Clipped, some can sound different, some like class A amps have soft clipping....... just buy adequate power and keep it under clipping level and you'll hear no difference. Pretty much the same thing with head units, assuming they have equal resolution capabilities in respect to Hi Res music, if you want to play those kind of tracks.

Amps are about power output and features.......and features can be many, like controls, nostalgia, build quality and how long it will last, and how cute it is, and more. Look how cute it is, lol!

If you want sound quality, look in to speakers, speaker placement, and installation, and now Hi Res music....the later of which can sound better in some cases.

There are tons of myths in the audio world, this is one of them.

This is correct.......as long as the amp has low noise (hopefully no noise) and is not clipped, they sound the same, they just amplify the signal. Clipped, some can sound different, some like class A amps have soft clipping....... just buy adequate power and keep it under clipping level and you'll hear no difference. Pretty much the same thing with head units, assuming they have equal resolution capabilities in respect to Hi Res music, if you want to play those kind of tracks.
Amps are about power output and features.......and features can be many, like controls, nostalgia, build quality and how long it will last, and how cute it is, and more. Look how cute it is, lol!

If you want sound quality, look in to speakers, speaker placement, and installation, and now Hi Res music....the later of which can sound better in some cases.

There are tons of myths in the audio world, this is one of them.
Might want to look into the facts about hi res. It’s mostly BS.

I’ll find the test.

Basically if it was first recorded before 1990 something there is no way it can be remastered in hi res so that’s a gimmick.

Also 320kb is already a higher resolution then we can hear. Hi res is way higher then we can hear.

I’ll find the test. Basically if it was first recorded before 1990 something there is no way it can be remastered in hi res so that’s a gimmick.

Also 320kb is already a higher resolution then we can hear. Hi res is way higher then we can hear.
I can definitely tell the difference between 320kps mp3s and a cd. Lots of cancellations especially during fast drum fills.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.