Help with box design for 2 10" Alpine R series

Participant count
  • Participants list

colinmustlift

2 of these bad boys:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RW10D2/Alpine-R-W10D2.html?tp=68872

FS is 30hz, Qts is .47, Vas is 21L or 0.7416 feet cubed.

I'll be making this out of .75 inch MDF, have some tools to do dado cuts so it's easier to pick up and has a bit better grip. I have clamps so unless it's a terrible idea i can skip using screws.

anyhow, ideally the depth would be about 12 inches so it can fit way back in my trunk, but that's not a deal breaker, have about 44 inches of width and 15 or so inches of height to play with.

I am really not sure about ports tho. I'm not sure how to use WinSD (sp) but have a fairly basic spreadsheet that plots response curves. the recommended box in the manual (1 cube net) looks quite peaky around 40hz, i liked the look of a box @ 1.43 cubic feet w an FB of around 26 better, but to be honest i'm really not sure and would like an idea on ports (slot, buy one off of amazon, pvc?).

Thanks

You're playing with a pair of 10's... are you lookin' for a low, low tune and super efficient?.. IMO an aero would be a no-brainer in that case. But it's gonna be a mutha to get port/subs on the same face. I'd probably just slot/square port it if it was me and pay attention to volume/port velocities/tune.... What are your tuning goals and overall result desired?

Shred, ya i think you and i have a similar taste in tune. I'd love anything you'd suggest. Why so hard for same side ports, cuz of my space requirements?

These subs have decent xmax for the pricd i paid, i got em in a sealed box swimming in polyfil, but i want that thump i get on some gucci tracks on a lot more tracks.

Kush, for your suggestion, 6 inch port diameter? Internal/external? How long?

I know enough to know that totally smooth response graphs dont tell the whole tale, so im happy to just dive in w anyones good plans, even thought about buying death box plans cuz it is tunable.

Having enough depth to use the correct sized aero makes that 12" depth wish fly out the window unless it's gonna be side ported or external (unless it has bends internally)... the slot would let you bend the port easier once it's sized correctly.

So a whale song tune huh?... I'm knockin a higher tune currently but my preference is a LOW tune... lol

I just like a 30hzish tune... this is for around rated power... (maybe just under)...

q7RuPO.jpg

That's pushin' the limits on how big I'd go or how low I'd tune with those personally.

Wow, that'sa cool mockup. So after sub displacement its close to what kush was talking about it seems.

Ya, 12 inch depth is a no shot. Would that build work w an aero port, or like you said its messed w/o the slot?

Does your graphics program show cut sheets and such?

Shred, ya i think you and i have a similar taste in tune. I'd love anything you'd suggest. Why so hard for same side ports, cuz of my space requirements?
These subs have decent xmax for the pricd i paid, i got em in a sealed box swimming in polyfil, but i want that thump i get on some gucci tracks on a lot more tracks.

Kush, for your suggestion, 6 inch port diameter? Internal/external? How long?

I know enough to know that totally smooth response graphs dont tell the whole tale, so im happy to just dive in w anyones good plans, even thought about buying death box plans cuz it is tunable.

Using 6 inch sch 35 pvc for sewers and drains commonly found at Home Depot and Lowes you would need 18.5-21.5 inches of port length for a 33-35hz tune in 2.5cf. The inside diameter is actually 5.75 inches. Due to the long port length you would have to do a side firing port like this:

TOVtPGo.jpg

The round or aero would either have to be external or side firing to work, depth of driver, clearance, material thickness and port OD probably would pass the 14" mark easily (that's offhand BTW). It's your car man... an aero saves space, is more efficient but only has a set amount of area to work with. That 6" is perfect for what you need with those subs in 2.5ft3 net like Kush said.

The box I have shown is double baffled and rather large... lol... it's a bottom feeder, meaning it'll go low and lose some overall output. Either way you port it I'd recommend a tune higher than I used as most people actually listen to music... not whale song... lol

The box above is just a bit much for most (too low), I'd just tune to 32hz-minimum or more likely 33-36hz for music. Unless you want to slam those decaf lows then that's a different story entirely... lol

If I might ask... what vehicle and amp/load are you planning to use? And is positioning the enclosure in the trunk all the way back (facing what direction?) seem to give the best result or is it for utility?

Aeroport will take up less space than a traditional slot port too. Thus, will give a little more room in your car.
@shredder2 have you done any box models with aeroport in them yet?

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Aeroport will take up less space than a traditional slot port too. Thus, will give a little more room in your car.
@shredder2 have you done any box models with aeroport in them yet?[/QUOTE]

Jeez... with a round?... are you kidding?.. I model almost EVERY one with a round but port area constraints, length, wall thickness and explaining 1/2 radius front to rear for an aero usually makes a slot more attractive (ease of assembly). Yeah, rounds ARE a lot more efficient but having a slot all drawn-up seems easier to do for most.
But just saying use a 4" round 23" long in 2ft3 net for example is good enough for most who don't mind doin' the math... lol

Jeez... with a round?... are you kidding?.. I model almost EVERY one with a round but port area constraints, length, wall thickness and explaining 1/2 radius front to rear for an aero usually makes a slot more attractive (ease of assembly). Yeah, rounds ARE a lot more efficient but having a slot all drawn-up seems easier to do for most. But just saying use a 4" round 23" long in 2ft3 net for example is good enough for most who don't mind doin' the math... lol
I scored a 6 inch pvc 90deg elbow for sch 35 for under $10 at Menards. There is no such thing as a constraint for me anymore lol

Jeez... with a round?... are you kidding?.. I model almost EVERY one with a round but port area constraints, length, wall thickness and explaining 1/2 radius front to rear for an aero usually makes a slot more attractive (ease of assembly). Yeah, rounds ARE a lot more efficient but having a slot all drawn-up seems easier to do for most. But just saying use a 4" round 23" long in 2ft3 net for example is good enough for most who don't mind doin' the math... lol
*backs up*...ok man just asking. But...what I really meant was the actual radius shape in Sketchup over the port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.