do caps work?

ekah

Senior VIP Member
hawaii
i was given a phoenix gold xsc5 cap

its small and thought maybe i should implement it since i got it for free or does it do little to nothing?

side note my sounds cut in and out to protect mode for my cab1600 and ppi900 at med to high volume

could be my 110 alt

was thinking of buying another battery for the rear but also heard that its pointless if you have a junk alt since it taxes your alt more

so

will the cap work or not or be efficient?

will adding another battery in rear be efficient?

Hey man your alive?! Seen on the news about the volcano eruption in your neck of the woods.

Anywho, caps are pretty worthless once your electrical is upgraded. However, there's a lot of big builds that use a bunch of bankcaps.

Could be several issues if your sounds cut out at med to high volume. Gain setting too high. Power/ground wire too small, possibly a bad ground.

list all gear, wiring size etc. remember, batteries and caps dont make power, they store it. better to have the correct gear

i was given a phoenix gold xsc5 capits small and thought maybe i should implement it since i got it for free or does it do little to nothing?

side note my sounds cut in and out to protect mode for my cab1600 and ppi900 at med to high volume

could be my 110 alt

was thinking of buying another battery for the rear but also heard that its pointless if you have a junk alt since it taxes your alt more

so

will the cap work or not or be efficient?

will adding another battery in rear be efficient?
battery is 10000x better than those junk grade caps. however batteries are just a band aid solution, you wont get high voltages but it'll prevent you from going below 12/11 volts which will stabilize most systems but you will routinely need to place those batts on an agm smart charger to trickle charge overnight around every month. those cheap caps are like spitting on a slash wound by a machete, literally useless garbage. Only caps that do anything good electrical wise are actual super/ultra caps that are in a bank thats over 3000 farads but those require a strong alternator to be effective.

You need to add a voltmeter with the pos and negative leads connected to your sub amp's pos and negative terminals to monitor voltages seen at the amp and figure out whats really your problem rather than guessing.

Those cheapo caps do play a different role though, noise filtering /AC ripple, if you have noise in your system, you can wire it before the ppi amp and reduce the noise floor caused by AC current by a good bit. aka alternator whine, buzzing, static etc..

You need to add a voltmeter with the pos and negative leads connected to your sub amp's pos and negative terminals to monitor voltages seen at the amp and figure out whats really your problem rather than guessing.
i have my voltmeter at the power distro block, i assume thats close enough esp considering im running 2 amps

Hey man your alive?! Seen on the news about the volcano eruption in your neck of the woods.
Anywho, caps are pretty worthless once your electrical is upgraded. However, there's a lot of big builds that use a bunch of bankcaps.

Could be several issues if your sounds cut out at med to high volume. Gain setting too high. Power/ground wire too small, possibly a bad ground.
thanks for looking out lol i actually live on oahu the eruption is on the big island which is like a couple islands away so im in the clear lol

i was thinking of getting a rear battery being easier and cheaper compared to a singer alt i was quated 500 but its also a pain to get to my alt which is right behind my passenger tire well which is a pia so to avoid i would wanna get a batt in the rear

thanks for looking out lol i actually live on oahu the eruption is on the big island which is like a couple islands away so im in the clear loli was thinking of getting a rear battery being easier and cheaper compared to a singer alt i was quated 500 but its also a pain to get to my alt which is right behind my passenger tire well which is a pia so to avoid i would wanna get a batt in the rear
batt + trickle charger should help loads. Its a band aid but its a **** good band aid. Big 3 is a no brainer here too.

Upgrade the alt, 110a is too small for that power consumptiom, you are most likely dripping into the 10s if your amps are going into protect. Keep it up and you will blow the amps.
i would love a new alternator

i was quoted for a 240 alternator for 489$ without shipping since i live on hawaii not sure what it would be

and it seems like a pia to get to my alternator which is behind my passenger tire well so i have to take my wheel off and the assembly just to get to it

not sure how much shops would charge for an alternator swap

unless you guys have an idea

battery is 10000x better than those junk grade caps. however batteries are just a band aid solution, you wont get high voltages but it'll prevent you from going below 12/11 volts which will stabilize most systems but you will routinely need to place those batts on an agm smart charger to trickle charge overnight around every month. those cheap caps are like spitting on a slash wound by a machete, literally useless garbage. Only caps that do anything good electrical wise are actual super/ultra caps that are in a bank thats over 3000 farads but those require a strong alternator to be effective.

Those cheapo caps do play a different role though, noise filtering /AC ripple, if you have noise in your system, you can wire it before the ppi amp and reduce the noise floor caused by AC current by a good bit. aka alternator whine, buzzing, static etc..
yeah ill go and check my voltage and monitor it

its weird because it drops randomly or goes protect randomly at random volumes my front battery is less than a year old

could be my ground maybe

i could make a tour video of my sounds runs etc so maybe it would be easier for you guys to help me

the 2 amps are grounded at the same spot and are using one 0 gauge from battery and using a distro block to the 2 amps in the back and use the same remote wire if that info makes a difference on why it acts weird

yeah ill go and check my voltage and monitor itits weird because it drops randomly or goes protect randomly at random volumes my front battery is less than a year old

could be my ground maybe

i could make a tour video of my sounds runs etc so maybe it would be easier for you guys to help me

the 2 amps are grounded at the same spot and are using one 0 gauge from battery and using a distro block to the 2 amps in the back and use the same remote wire if that info makes a difference on why it acts weird
shouldn't have issues unless your vehicle is a unibody which would require a direct ground run front to back.

batt + trickle charger should help loads. Its a band aid but its a **** good band aid. Big 3 is a no brainer here too.
Hi. What type or model of an agm trickle charger would you recommend or is sufficient. I have a front and a rear agm battery. The rear is an XS D3100. I just added a second amp and thinking now might be a good time to start looking. Also does an isolater need to be setup for it to trickle charge properly or is there a best practice for this?...thanks.

Hi. What type or model of an agm trickle charger would you recommend or is sufficient. I have a front and a rear agm battery. The rear is an XS D3100. I just added a second amp and thinking now might be a good time to start looking. Also does an isolater need to be setup for it to trickle charge properly or is there a best practice for this?...thanks.
no need for any isolator battery tender brand smart chargers work fine enough for a small budget. If you want something fancy that can resurrect batteries from the dead, noco chargers are pretty rad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.