Good mid-bass and enclosure size

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
I thought I had waived him off, but my friend wants to pursue building two small enclosures which can be turned towards his hatchback for parties and whatnot. Anyway, he wants it to be loud, sound good, and look great. The looks we can deal with in the design phase. Loud, I know. Sounds good, I know. Loud and sounds good....subjective. Lol

I was thinking of using PRV and going with the 8MR500-NDY-4 for mid-bass and 5MR450-NDY 5 for midrange. I currently own the 5. Loud, sounds great. I don't have experience with the 8, though. I'm running Crescendo PWX 8s, and they sound great. Anyone know if the PRV would do well?

Either way, the box they'll go in will house a single 8, 5, and tweeter, so there will be two boxes. For whatever drivers you recommend, what size airspace would you recommend? I know to keep the 8 and 5 separate, and if I don't find a sealed tweet that I like, I'll seal it off in the box as well.

And finally, he likes a silver tweeter which is horn loaded. I've seen plenty in the 8 ohm range, but need em in 4 ohm. Lots to choose from, but most seem like they will fall short of the PRVs.

Any help would be appreciated.

U should hear the fu 6.5" mids guy on fu fb page made a box for his son with them and tweets sounds amazing.. another guy has mids in doors showed video of him like 100 feet away from van it was loud af..

Why not just open the car doors and trunk? Thats what I used to do when my friends had bonfires in the country.
That's what I suggested, but he wants something for when you open the back. Thinks it would be cool. It's his money and his car, so who am I to argue? I just want to do it right.

[quote name='Sguirrelfeather']@Jeffdachef You use the 6.5 PRV. Do you think the 8 will have enough midbass given that it'll be in its own enclosure, or should I have him go with a Crescendo PWX? Or, something else?[/QUOTE]

get like the crescendo ultra neo 12 or 10. Would be loud, plays up high and have some decent upper midbass.

And you would suggest porting it? We go to all the trouble to seal our doors to increase midbass, but a sealed enclosure would be bad for the same?
That’s not why we seal doors. It’s to prevent rear wave meeting front wave and lower resonance.

Space makes bass. Look at the size of towers.

A pair of Eminence Beta 8s or 10s and their asd-1001 compression drivers make for a pretty sick combo.

I built a set of wakeboard tower speakers with a 8" can, beta 8cx, and the 1001 coaxially mounted to the woofer. Used eminence crossovers, and a Lpad on the compression driver to be able to pad it down a tad for when up close listening, or turn it up and jam out 75ft back at 25mph

To this day my favorite speaker setup for being loud, clear, and punchy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.