Under powering a sub, Large enclosure or recommended for more output?

why3zx

Just picked up a SD-3 10" D4 in the yardsale.

Description says its built with very soft suspension and made to use in very small sealed enclosures.

Box is under the back seat of my 05 Ram, It is a dual sub box that has been re-baffled to a single 10" so its currently sitting at ~1.3^3. So 1.1^3 after displacement. Sundown recommends .5 cube sealed.

Sub will be powered by a Kenwood 5ch amp, Sub channel is rated at 500 RMS @ 2ohm. And likely overrated at that. Tuned clean this sub will be receiving much less power than its rated.

So my question is; If one is under-powering a sub, will more output be realized by using a larger sealed enclosure than recommended, or is the best bet to stick to recommended enclosure size no matter what you're feeding the driver?

If this doesn't work I may be giving up my quest to get decent bass in this truck without sacrificing any usable room. First attempt was with 2 cheap 12" subs (I was pretty uneducated at that time), they were just suffocated, not sure why these boxes are even built or sold. Next attempt, I raised the seats (I have 4th gen seats so already more room under the back seat) cut out the baffle, added a new baffle with about an inch more height to the box and cut it for a single 10", currently running a Massive Audio Torox sub, better than the 12s but I dont even have enough power to get this thing moving in a sealed application.

So on to try the sundown.

Man, id have to get awefully creative to figure out how to get a ported box under the back seat.
Throw some measurements out there and if its doable someone might come thru with something.

Idk... maybe sealed is all you can do but a drawing of what space you've got to work with might yield some ideas.

Sundown recommends a 1 cu ft ported enclosure so maybe you can convert that enclosure to ported enclosure with an external round port if it’s hidden? I have that exact same sub in a .5 cube sealed enclosure in my regular cab truck right now and I think you will like it. My next project though is to build a ported enclosure for it of which Shredder did the design for. I’m just waiting for a good sunny day where I do not have a kids game to go to or house project that needs attention.

Man, id have to get awefully creative to figure out how to get a ported box under the back seat.

Just please don't use a prefab ported box if at all possible. I am running sealed right now, but my sub is optimized to run sealed, after displacement, my sub is getting .55cuft, and it impresses. I am by no means an expert, but I have learned that if you have to under power a sub, actually a misnomer, you can't actually 'under power' a sub, but to get decent output, it is good to have a larger than specified enclosure. And on the other side, if over powering the sub, an enclosure smaller that specified. Just because any said sub is rated at XXX watts, does not necessarily mean that it needs that particular amount of power. Most of us will use 50% more power, some probably as much as %100 more, to create what we call headroom. The way that it was explained to me was, "You can always cut it, but you surely can not stretch it." Say that we have a sub rated at 1000wrms, I would use an amp with at least 1500wrms and properly set the gain. As opposed to having that same sub and 600wrms amp with the gain cranked, creating clipping, which leads to heat, and releasing that ole magic smoke. Then there is our real enemy to output, box rise, but that is a whole other story dude. Good luck why3zx, let us know what you come up with.

Oh wow your truck must really have a lot of **** in the way down there, I would absolutely recommend looking into removing whatever you can to get as much space as possible.

You can find solutions that keep the seat functional, but you need to decide what you are and aren't willing to do. Raising the seat, cutting out bs in the way, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys! This is the space I am working with. I took a similar box and replaced the baffle with a new one cut for a single 10".
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F231169005892
Don’t know if you be down for it, but those cubbies under the rear seats are removable. They’re just some shaped sheet metal added to the floor boards. There’s another member on here who did it.

Another option would be fiberglassing.

Edit: I think 99% of members will tell you to go ported and I agree. If you skimp on the enclosure space count on having a smaller bandwidth from your sub.

Yes you can increase enclosure size if under powering the sub, just don't get carried away. The thing I've learned with most Sundown subs is that they are usually mechanically limited and with to much volume (or port), they will tear themselves apart well before you burn up a coil. Do what I always do, hit up Sundown and ask them.

Thanks for the response guys. I got my shipping information e-mail so I should be able to play with the sub soon. I think ill likely just toss it in initially and go slow with it, see how it sounds.

I have been brainstorming port ideas and it may be possible, the only real downside would be that in order to get the port area anywhere near large enough, the port would have to be very long and narrow. My seats are actually currently already raised by ~2", However as someone mentioned I could remove the sheet metal divider that makes the "Cubbies" under the seat.

Got the sub in the mail, looks perfect, free-air test perfect, no idea why it was a yard sale item.

Got it installed in the current box and had some issues getting it to seal into the box correctly, which ended up being interference with the terminals and the funky box shape, ended up mounting it at an angle (really had to put the OCD aside for a minute). When it was sealed up it actually sounds pretty great, more output than other "under seat" setups i've had in this truck for sure.

I do think at this point I am just being unrealistic with what is possible with my limited airspace, limited location, and being under the seat on limited power. I have a Massive 6.5" in a T-Line that I tested by just setting it on the back seat for a few days before it went into the wife's car, and honestly, the little 6.5 destroyed any under seat combo that I've tried yet. But it sounds good, is clean, and better than no sub!

to hell with it, I just ordered an additional SD-3, A new box with exactly .5^3 per sub, and will be putting them on a Massive Audio E3 at 1Ohm.

I may try and fit the tiny 6.5 t-line (box isnt all that tiny) in place of the base of my center console and run it along with the 10" subs under the seat, with the kenwood 5ch taking care of the highs, mids, and the 6.5.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.