Need Help. Wanted 5 Channel Compact AMP

#1 post

History I use to be on top of this stuff, but I've been out of the stereo mods for quite a few years. I know the amps have gotten much smaller and efficient since my glory days. Now I have no idea whats out there. I use to have only Alpine products.

Going into a 2008 6.4 Ford F250 Superduty, Crew Cab. I'd like to squeeze it into my dash behind my Sony HeadUnit. Needs to be under $350.00. I plan on new speakers in the doors and a single or dual sub behind the rear seats.

Thanks for your input

TheOCSurfer

you're not going to find a 5 channel small enough to put behind a headunit.... and an amp needs to be "mounted".

need to install under seat or behind rear seat.

if you're looking to stay around $200 i would go with the pioneer gm-d9605.

the kenwood x801-5 is quite small and the xr900-5 is nice as well.

but for around $300-400 i would look at the zapco st-5x or sundown sae 1100.5, something along those lines if you're not worried about the size of the amp.

Yeah no way in hell an amp is going behind the dash....not only a lot of work but too much wires behind there and more than likely not enough space for one, not to mention if could easily overheat and shut it down.

NVX or PPI 5 ch might work for ya.

#1 post
History I use to be on top of this stuff, but I've been out of the stereo mods for quite a few years. I know the amps have gotten much smaller and efficient since my glory days. Now I have no idea whats out there. I use to have only Alpine products.

Going into a 2008 6.4 Ford F250 Superduty, Crew Cab. I'd like to squeeze it into my dash behind my Sony HeadUnit. Needs to be under $350.00. I plan on new speakers in the doors and a single or dual sub behind the rear seats.

Thanks for your input

TheOCSurfer
Zed Audio has a very small 4 channel and 1 channel amp but I think with any of those super tiny amps, while mounting footprint isn't big you still need to consider proper air flow/cooling. I don't think any amp would do well buried up in the dash. You should have a fair bit of space in the back of that either on the back wall or on the floor by the back wall for some small amp(s) (pic related)

hqIq7UM.jpg

Do avoid soundstream. It's bottom of the barrel flea market junk.

LOTS of options for you.

As already mentioned the pioneer 9605 is a decent amp,

Here are ones I think are up to the job.

NVX JAD900.5 and it's clones (Polk PAD5000.5, PPI 900.5)

Infinity Kappa K5 ($299 @ Crutchfield)

DS18 Candy X5B

Audiotec Fischer Helix Dark Blue 5

Rockville DB55

The Phoenix gold sx1200.5 is a solid amp as well.
Will vouch for the PG SX series. I've got one in my Corolla. A bit anemic on the sub channel for my liking but it's adequate to blend with the fronts nicely. (for reference it's a little longer than the 4 channel we used in by brother's F250 pictured). Nice efficient little amps, Zed designed, non regulated power supply but that's the tradeoff for small footprint and lower cost.

Thanks, Guys for the suggestions. I guess I'm going to change my strategy, and mount it under the passenger seat. The location behind the rear seats will be used for a single or dual sub box. Once I've decided on the amp, I'll be shopping the box and subs next.

Again thanks.

Will vouch for the PG SX series. I've got one in my Corolla. A bit anemic on the sub channel for my liking but it's adequate to blend with the fronts nicely. (for reference it's a little longer than the 4 channel we used in by brother's F250 pictured). Nice efficient little amps, Zed designed, non regulated power supply but that's the tradeoff for small footprint and lower cost.
Hell, the vast majority of 5 channel amps have fairly anemic subwoofer channels. But 400 watts at 2 ohms on the sx1200.5 is on par with most 5 channels. I have two of the pg ti21600.5 which has twice the power on the sub channel. Good little amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.