Inverter/Generator?? Will this sustain power for stereo and Rooftop A/C?

udfxrookie

I have a 1998 Ford E-150 with a stock 130 Amp Alternator

-Red Top Main Starting Battery

-Battery isolator

2xYellow Top Optima Batteries in parrallel

For stereo and amps:

from battery bank to 2 farad cap

1 x 1000w pioneer amps

1 x 500w pioneer amp

Proposal for Rooftop A/C:

from battery bank to 2000 watt inverter

A/C Specs: 115 v, Min Circuit Ampacity: 11, Max Circuit Ampacity: 15, 60 Hertz

Will the setup I have with the battery bank in place work?

Will it drain the ba-jesus out of the battery bank?

Should I put in a capacitor for the A/C (to cover surges, etc)?

What's the difference between Power Inverter and Power Converter?

I have a Whistler P1000AC 1000 Watt Continous/2000 Watt Peak

I can get

WFCO WF-9875 75 Amp Power Converter

whats the difference and which is better?

When you say redtop/yellowtop, I'm guessing you overspent $$ for Optima. I wouldn't have chosen said batteries due to shortage of lifespan. No reason to have caps if your running 3 batteries. I'm confused on the rooftop a/c part...your car has the option of a/c on the truck? Big 3 and 2 batteries should be fine with what you have.

I have the Big 3 done and when you have friends at the autopart store $80 Optima's aren't bad

The van is something I picked up from a guy that lived in NY (I'm in FL) so there's issues with the underside.

I ran into severe issues with the back A/C and have decided to up my mpg and use a rooftop A/C system a buddy had.

Van...oh crap thought it was a truck my bad. FL is a def must for a/c....esp the high humidity there.

So what's the issues with the a/c that you needed 3 batteries? Sounds like something else non car audio related.

No issue, just overkill prep

It's a conversion van/work van.

Inside I have:

2xAlpine 6x9's

4xKicker 5 1/2's

2xKicker 12" Subs

1x1000watt amp

1x500watt amp

Wiring:

Big 3 with 1/0 awg

Battery Bank ran with 1/0 awg

Amps ran with 4 awg

ALL speakers 8 awg

Inverter with 4 awg

Cap with 4 awg

Putting in:

Inverter

Rooftop A/C (again for overkill on trips

Permanent laptop (since it has it's own battery and charging system to reduce load)

30" LCD TV

PS3

Eventually:

H.O. 220 Amp Alternator

Not sure about rooftop AC but it sounds the sort of thing that would consume a lot of energy. I'd be looking for a HO alternator right away and you'll just have to see how well your battery bank holds up if you're trying to run it while idling or with the van off. Be wary of those power inverters. I've seen plenty that claim some high wattages but those may just be surge ratings. I'd think a legit 2000W inverter would be near the size of a 2000W amp and about as expensive. Anyway, make sure you buy from a store with a good return policy to be safe there.

I'm confused. 1st you say your having severe issues with back a/c. Then next reply you say no issues, just upgrading everything

I think your just bragging about running thick wiring to everything. (8 gauge to 5.25" speakers isn't necessary btw)

Remove the 2 farad cap and run directly to your amps/ac the 2 farad cap won't do anything, even a 500f+ bank wont do much due to the constant draw

is this going to be used with the van off, or on?

++++1 to the HO alt as being the first thing you put money into. If you can fit a GM large case, go that route.

Would an external generator be quiet and more worthwhile for you?

Try what you have, and if you need more you need more. without any issues stated it's hard to help you out as I'm not sure what you even need...the A/C will be the biggest draw by far. I don't expect your batteries to last longer than 1-3 hours if you're running everything

15 amps at 115v is going to be over 140 amps at 12v. Running 120v stuff off of a 12v source draws a massive amount of current. Id use a generator like mentioned above

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

udfxrookie

udfxrookie
Tampa, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
udfxrookie