Whats your opinion of the Kenwood Excelon XR-W12F?

imsickofweed

Senior VIP Member
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XRW12F/Kenwood-Excelon-XR-W12F.html?tp=111&awkw=75640007425&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47622106945&awdv=m&awug=1014218&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYGFn52L2wIVi5OzCh2K8wGiEAQYASABEgI-1fD_BwE

Going to test bump this sub this evening, its currently mounted in a 0.6ft3 sealed box, optimal box is 0.8ft3. I have a Alpine PDX-V9 with bass knob capable of 525wrms 2-4ohm load at 14.4v , but my regulator keeps me at 13.5-13.7 during idle. Sub is rated at 450wrms and Ill give her all of it. I mainly listen to bass heavy electronic music, trippy hippie shpongle type stuff, a little rap, and a little rock. I have the Focal PS165v2 component set run active off the amps crossovers at 35 and 75wrms for tweeters and mids respectively.

Is this sub and box a good fit for me for $100? Your opinions are appreciated.

if optimal box is .8 its probably not going to sound that good in .6. i've heard that 1 cubic foot is best for those drivers, they are decent shallow mounts, not pure garbage...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XRW12F/Kenwood-Excelon-XR-W12F.html?tp=111&awkw=75640007425&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47622106945&awdv=m&awug=1014218&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYGFn52L2wIVi5OzCh2K8wGiEAQYASABEgI-1fD_BwE
Going to test bump this sub this evening, its currently mounted in a 0.6ft3 sealed box, optimal box is 0.8ft3. I have a Alpine PDX-V9 with bass knob capable of 525wrms 2-4ohm load at 14.4v , but my regulator keeps me at 13.5-13.7 during idle. Sub is rated at 450wrms and Ill give her all of it. I mainly listen to bass heavy electronic music, trippy hippie shpongle type stuff, a little rap, and a little rock. I have the Focal PS165v2 component set run active off the amps crossovers at 35 and 75wrms for tweeters and mids respectively.

Is this sub and box a good fit for me for $100? Your opinions are appreciated.
oh u already bought that? why u want such a tiny thin sub in a suv? u could get pioneer ported like my with box for $145 it's only 500 times louder for $45 more and it's new but whatever u like i guess.. u can get a powered pioneer for like $150 new i'd bet it's just as good.. here's my pioneer and box i got over a yr ago for $137 see mirror and thats with techno/bass type music too.. always forget links

Last edited by a moderator:
if optimal box is .8 its probably not going to sound that good in .6. i've heard that 1 cubic foot is best for those drivers, they are decent shallow mounts, not pure garbage...
This. Doubt it's gonna sound good since the required airspace is smaller than minimal needed.

oh u already bought that? why u want such a tiny thin sub in a suv? u could get pioneer ported like my with box for $145 it's only 500 times louder for $45 more and it's new but whatever u like i guess.. u can get a powered pioneer for like $150 new i'd bet it's just as good.. here's my pioneer and box i got over a yr ago for $137 see mirror and thats with techno/bass type music too.. always forget links

he had another thread on here asking for shallow mount woofer recommendations because he wants it under seat, doesn't want an enclosure taking up space. but didn't want to drop the money on a stereo integrity bm mkiii i offered.

but one thing to note here as well is that if you do some digging, you will notice that there are many shallow mount subwoofers that do not work well in small enclosures. many of them need close to 1 cu ft if not more for optimal performance, which is quite ridiculious considering the whole point is to save space.

for instance, "thatpurplekush" sent you a link recommending the dayton audio shallow mount subwoofer telling you that you will get better performance from it, but he is more than wrong. parts express recommends 1.3 cubic feet sealed for that subwoofer, so therefore, if you put that sub in .6 cu ft its going to sound like ****, and you probably won't have hardly any kind of response below 50 hz if you modeled it. so be sure to look at which driver fits your needs the best.

thats why i recommended the stereo integrity bm mkiii i have, it is specifically designed for sealed enclosures of .5-.65 cu ft.

but i'm the type to save some extra money to get what really fits my need, because if you buy something because its cheaper, you're likely to end up spending extra money in the long run because you're not satisfied with what you have. but if the kenwood sounds decent to you after you test it, then thats not a bad deal for $100... i guess you'll never know what to expect unless you actually try it out and see. but trust me, in that size enclosure, i highly doubt it would come anywhere close to a si bm mkiii...

he had another thread on here asking for shallow mount woofer recommendations because he wants it under seat, doesn't want an enclosure taking up space. but didn't want to drop the money on a stereo integrity bm mkiii i offered.

but one thing to note here as well is that if you do some digging, you will notice that there are many shallow mount subwoofers that do not work well in small enclosures. many of them need close to 1 cu ft if not more for optimal performance, which is quite ridiculious considering the whole point is to save space.

for instance, "thatpurplekush" sent you a link recommending the dayton audio shallow mount subwoofer telling you that you will get better performance from it, but he is more than wrong. parts express recommends 1.3 cubic feet sealed for that subwoofer, so therefore, if you put that sub in .6 cu ft its going to sound like ****, and you probably won't have hardly any kind of response below 50 hz if you modeled it. so be sure to look at which driver fits your needs the best.

thats why i recommended the stereo integrity bm mkiii i have, it is specifically designed for sealed enclosures of .5-.65 cu ft.

but i'm the type to save some extra money to get what really fits my need, because if you buy something because its cheaper, you're likely to end up spending extra money in the long run because you're not satisfied with what you have. but if the kenwood sounds decent to you after you test it, then thats not a bad deal for $100... i guess you'll never know what to expect unless you actually try it out and see. but trust me, in that size enclosure, i highly doubt it would come anywhere close to a si bm mkiii...
I mentioned the Dayton purely on price and the fact that it has a stronger motor, more xmax, less inductance, lower qts and higher sensitivity. All those adding up to a WAY better performing sub than the Kenwood. Yes it does need 1.3cf in order to have a flat q of .707. It will perform just fine in a smaller box and give the tight sound OP is looking for and if OP didn't like it another sealed box is cheap and easy to acquire. Anything Stero Integrity is nowhere near $100.

yeah i'd do the dayton too

I mentioned the Dayton purely on price and the fact that it has a stronger motor, more xmax, less inductance, lower qts and higher sensitivity. All those adding up to a WAY better performing sub than the Kenwood. Yes it does need 1.3cf in order to have a flat q of .707. It will perform just fine in a smaller box and give the tight sound OP is looking for and if OP didn't like it another sealed box is cheap and easy to acquire. Anything Stero Integrity is nowhere near $100.
i'm not debating whether the dayton is a better driver or not, but in .6 cu ft i'm not so sure the dayton would sound better than the kenwood...

and what i was saying is that spending a little extra money now is worth it in the long run

Who the hell dislikes Dayton Audio?!
no one said they disliked dayton audio.

but for a .6 cubic foot box, which is less than half the recommended size for the dayton, the kenwood may actually perform better, thats all i said. i'm sure the dayton is a better driver, but you can take a great driver and put it in the wrong enclosure...

Just got back from testing out the kenwood. I wasnt that impressed but was hopeful I could make it bump a little better by turning up the gain. Its rated for 450wrms so I set my gain with a DMM for 40v which is around 400wrms @4ohms and I wasnt really feeling it. I felt like it was only marginally better than my 6.75” kicker compRT in the stock box. Also the box that it was in didnt fit too great where I wanted it to.

I would really love your SI MKIII, I just seriously cant afford much right now. I was going to take the kenwood tonight just because I wanted something better than a kicker in a stock box, but I was stuck at $100 and he wanted $110. After reading your guys comments Im glad I didnt cave and go to the atm for the $10.

The area behind my passenger seat is just so oddly shaped that I need to build a custom box to the biggest size I can get it and then choose a sub to match it. The kenwood fit, but limited the front seat to a person shorter than my 5’10” wife. With the seat all the way back Id have enough room for an 8”-10”.

$10.... really...
Lol, yeah. I wasnt that impressed with the sub, it didnt fit right, and I wasnt budging off $100. I was going to have to build a custom box and save up for the sub and box I really wanted in the end anyway. I was recently reading an older article comparing the mkiii to the sundown sd2, so Ive been reading up on the new sd3 10s and theyre looking pretty good to me. Best part is theyre on amazon and Ive got some rewards points burning a hole in my pocket. I need to get started on the custom box, the sd3 10 is optimized at 0.5ft3 and will take 500wrms and its only $209 on amazon right meow. I could probably spend under $50 for all materials on my custom box build so maybe budgeting $300 and I get what I want, where I want it (thats what she said).

Lol, yeah. I wasnt that impressed with the sub, it didnt fit right, and I wasnt budging off $100. I was going to have to build a custom box and save up for the sub and box I really wanted in the end anyway. I was recently reading an older article comparing the mkiii to the sundown sd2, so Ive been reading up on the new sd3 10s and theyre looking pretty good to me. Best part is theyre on amazon and Ive got some rewards points burning a hole in my pocket. I need to get started on the custom box, the sd3 10 is optimized at 0.5ft3 and will take 500wrms and its only $209 on amazon right meow. I could probably spend under $50 for all materials on my custom box build so maybe budgeting $300 and I get what I want, where I want it (thats what she said).
word. i havent heard an sd model but they get rave reviews, so i'm sure that would fit the bill pretty well. if you have facebook keep an eye out on the marketplace, or post a wtb ad on here or diyma, someone may have one lying around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.