Build around Alpine X 12"

swangs

Hey everyone,

I just ordered a 12" Alpine type X 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer. I believe I want a vented box for a deeper tone and more reverberation, but I am unsure of what internal volume would be best or if there is an ideal amplifier to pair it to besides the $500 Alpine X amplifier.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

Swangs

Hey everyone,
I just ordered a 12" Alpine type X 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer. I believe I want a vented box for a deeper tone and more reverberation, but I am unsure of what internal volume would be best or if there is an ideal amplifier to pair it to besides the $500 Alpine X amplifier.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

Swangs
for real u paid about $1k for alpines? you coulda got 2 sundown U subs for less..

Alpine X is a good sub. He has 1. Instead of always trying to tell people what they should have bought with no first hand experience. Actually read their post. He's looking for an amp.

What would you like to spend? I have a few sitting here.

I am unsure of what internal volume would be best, Any advice? Thanks a lot. Swangs
What vehicle and space are you willing to sacrifice in that vehicle? I think a bigger (2.5ft3ish) volume and lower (30ish) tune would sound great IMO. But of course it'll eat up some space to slot port it, around 3.8ft3 gross is the one I'm playin' around with currently... but it looks like I'd like the response... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

This...

dpmRIy.jpg

That should get loud and LOW... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all thank you for your replies. Perhaps it is an overpriced sub but I just wanted one quality sub that will hit the highs and lows and just do it right. Back in the day I had a lot of luck with a pair of alpine type r’s. So I guess it’s just what I know. But I am looking for low frequencies for sure. I don’t play my music loud all the time I just like a nice rumble and reverb going on.i suppose I would have preferred a 2 ohm speaker but I’m not very well versed in resistance. So more air volume the better? It will probably go in some sort of 4x4 suv so space isn’t a big issue.

As far as powering it, I need more wattage due to the the 4 ohm resistance of the given subwoofer?

I can still return it if sundown makes a 12 that performs similarly and 2 ohms and will save me some money.. my first setup was a hifonics amp and some offbrand capacitor and a big dual 12” ported box with alpines in a Volvo wagon haha.

Nice yea I wish it was 2ohms, but I only paid $40 more for the alpine x, and I’m not s big brand name fanboy but alpine has always taken care of me... that’s why I’m here because it’s 4 ohms and I don’t know if I need to go big on an amp to get the sound of a 2 ohm

Sub...

Nice yea I wish it was 2ohms, but I only paid $40 more for the alpine x, and I’m not s big brand name fanboy but alpine has always taken care of me... that’s why I’m here because it’s 4 ohms and I don’t know if I need to go big on an amp to get the sound of a 2 ohmSub...
The Alpine type x is a great woofer so don't let someone who's cheap change your mind. A good choice for an amp would be the infinity k1000 or the JBL Gtr-1001. Infinity has a subsonic filter which will protect your sub better if doing ported but not mandatory.

Ain't nothing wrong with that X... finding an affordable 2 ohm amp to power it can be tough but they're out there.

I liked the way it modeled up... strong af right where I prefer it and it still gets low.

You got an enclosure design for your application yet?

Nice yea I wish it was 2ohms, but I only paid $40 more for the alpine x, and I’m not s big brand name fanboy but alpine has always taken care of me... that’s why I’m here because it’s 4 ohms and I don’t know if I need to go big on an amp to get the sound of a 2 ohmSub...
ok if u can return it please do and get a d2 problem solved.. u have many 1 ohm mono amps to pick from but the infinity is a good one.. i'm at 2 ohm too so at 2ohm "box rise" will put u closer to what amp does at 4 ohms which is more like 700rms so play attention to that.. which is why i sold my FU sub last week so i can either get 2 d4 or 1 d2 sub..

If you want new, I'd go with the infinity k1000 for $220 at Crutchfield. It puts out over 1200 certified at 2 ohms and is very efficient. Box rise isn't something you need to worry about for a daily setup and isnt a fixed number anyways. Running at 2 ohms should be easier on your electrical as well.

for real u paid about $1k for alpines? you coulda got 2 sundown U subs for less..
Except he probably wanted something that actually is a highly regarded SQ woofer which actually has some R&D behind it. Not everybody is a bottom feeder.

Because the mark of a good subwoofer is just being able to get loud for cheap.... please leave these types of threads alone until you have a little more experience and stop trying to compare off-the-shelf Chinese cookie cutter stuff to proper audio equipment.

OP, the type X has been an excellent woofer for a very long time and is solid up to 1000W. Build a proper box and it'll do well for you. You are a bit limited with the whole 2 ohm final load thing, but there's probably a handful out there or you could always get a Korean 2K (Soundqubed 2200, Twisted 1.8k or similar) for probably a little less than the Alpine and it'll get you about the same place. Stay out of the total junk brands (anything Grandpa recommends) and you should do fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.