Free Air 8

Participant count
  • Participant list

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
There are openings for 2 8"s in the speaker pods going in my Tahoe, so I'm in the market. There are 3 subs that are actually approved for free air that I know of - the Kicker Comps, the Infinity Kappa 8, and the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2.

In the search for more options, I've heard that any sub with a Qts over ~.7 will work fine in a free air application. If that's true then there are more choices:

1. Rockford P3SD2-8 (Qts .72)
  2. Kenwood Excelon shallow mount (QTS .812)

If we consider some slightly inappropriate choices (Qts >= .6) there are some more options.

1. Kenwood Excelon (.662 Qts)
  2. Even a Morel Primo might work (.6 Qts)

What do ya'll think is going to be the best bang for buck here? I know that none of these is going to take much power in a free air application (probably 100ish watts to be safe). The goal is to add some mid bass / bass up front, and drop a more powerful sub in the back later. Definitely aiming for SQ here. Planning to drop ID 6.5's in the doors, or maybe a "cheaper" Audiofrog mid. (Door panels have fiberglass backed speaker pods going in, plus lots of Second Skin sound damper).

are you looking for subs or a midbass? What frequency are you trying to get the speaker to run up to? You may also want to list a price point. Several good 8" midbass drivers out there but also depends on what you want to spend.

Yes. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif if I can get a true sub in the doors, great. I'm also open to something more mid-bassy, to cover the gap between typical mids and subs, since I plan to add some junk in the trunk later. It would be pretty cool to have a bass driver that could oberlap with the low end of my mids...maybe 300 or 400 hertz would be cool. Pioneer used to sell the Stage 4 sub that claimed to hit 1k hz and go down to normal sub freqs, likely 30 hertz. Always thought that was really cool.

are you looking for subs or a midbass? What frequency are you trying to get the speaker to run up to? You may also want to list a price point. Several good 8" midbass drivers out there but also depends on what you want to spend.
Sent from my SGH-S970G using Tapatalk

most subs even an 8 are going to have real issues trying to meet up that high. Just food for thought, and not at all being a JL guy. The Zr800 is an incredible midbass. Most that use it and reviews out there saw 300 to 400 is the max, big issues above that and it will drop down to 40 or 50hz. The time I heard one in a car, I thought it was a sub up front. Guy played it with the sub on and off, and it went down pretty good. Know others on here will tell you of some other really good midbass that will play a similar range and at better price point. Not saying that there isn't a sub out there that can do what you want, its just going to be tough to find one. Also the other part is going to be the install of your door panel. I know you said you had door pods being built, but you also gotta put a fair amount of work into the door as well.

most subs even an 8 are going to have real issues trying to meet up that high. Just food for thought, and not at all being a JL guy. The Zr800 is an incredible midbass. Most that use it and reviews out there saw 300 to 400 is the max, big issues above that and it will drop down to 40 or 50hz. The time I heard one in a car, I thought it was a sub up front. Guy played it with the sub on and off, and it went down pretty good. Know others on here will tell you of some other really good midbass that will play a similar range and at better price point. Not saying that there isn't a sub out there that can do what you want, its just going to be tough to find one. Also the other part is going to be the install of your door panel. I know you said you had door pods being built, but you also gotta put a fair amount of work into the door as well.
Just to be clear, I'm not expecting one speaker to play 30 hertz and 400 hertz. I am open to either a midbass or a sub. Whatever options are good. Thanks for the recommendation on the Zr800, that sounds pretty **** cool! Might be just the ticket for bridging mid bass frequencies over into the lows.

The speaker pods are already good to go. I fiberglass reinforced them myself last week - they are being vinyl wrapped now. They are designed to fit nicely into the factory door panels. Once I get the door panels off I will see what needs to be done, strength wise. I've considered fiberglassing the speaker pods into the door panel itself if need be, and I have kitty hair on hand if the door panel is too flimsy. Once that's done, second skin will go on. It's going to be a time consuming process, that's for sure.

so is this going to be serving as a low midrange in a 3 way or is it the only midrange?
Actually there's going to be a lot of speakers, now that I think about it. Currently thinking of using a typical pair of component mids / tweets (w/ passive crossovers). Then I will do one of two things:

1) Go 3 way, eliminate the passive xovers, and power the subs or 8" midbass with an amp that has pre-outs so I can add a bigger sub stage in the back later on, or

2) Run a conventional 4 ch + sub set up, and power the front stage (tweets, 6.5, 8) off a 4 ch amp and keep the passive xovers.

Open to suggestions. This vehicle (2002 Tahoe) has a lot of speaker mounting locations. 4 in the front with pods, 2 in the back with rear doors, 2 tweets in the trunk, and a factory woofer enclosure in the trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.