Looking for good midbass speakers & crossover to pair with my Tymphany tweeters

killeraxemannic
10+ year member

Colorado
Hi,

I have a 2013 Chevy Volt and I am currently in the process of bypassing the factory Bose amp and upgrading speakers. I have another thread about that, Just looking for recommendations about speakers and crossovers here.

I currently have Tymphany NE19VTS-04 tweeters installed in the pillars. The only crossover for them is the factory spec capacitor I installed with them when I put them in.

My first thoughts on speakers based on other recommendations was the Silver Flute W17RC38-04 however I am not sure if that's a good option or not and they will be cutting it close with space. I know for sure speakers with a 2.75" mounting depth fit with a little room to spare but those are 2.95"

So here's what I am looking for. A good clean natural sounding midbass speaker if the Silver Flute's aren't a good option, and recommendations on what kind of passive crossover to use for them. I found some cheap ones on Amazon but I am really not sure if they will be the best option for the money.

I used the 1" version of those tweeters and they had lots of detail but sounded kind of flat and they sound strained when I tried to cross them below 2600 hz. The SB Acoustics tweeters are much better.

Mid bass drivers are tough to find for near IB car doors. I have the Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers, which are 5-1/4" drivers and they have fantastic midrange, but lack a little in mid bass in my Fords F150 doors. You will need a clean sounding sub woofer to make up for it their lack of mid bass. I also have the NVX XSP65 mid woofers (same as SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4) and they have a nice detailed and warm sound, but they cannot match the mid bass of the Polk Audio mid woofers from my old DB 6501 set I had installed there before. Many of the lower line component sets from companies like Morel and some Focal have decent mid woofers but not so decent tweeters. The mid woofers from these sets are really only what you need and they are designed for car doors. You may be able to use the passive crossovers too, depending on the crossover point, FR, and ohm rating of the tweeter you have. Do not discount Image Dynamics and some of the not so well known brands such as Sundown, SoundQube, and many other that you can find on Sound Solutions Audio Website. O have Focal PS165V mid woofers in my Sienna and those sound nice and have good mid bass.

If I got a 4 channel amp dedicated to the front stage and used the Rockford DSR1 I would be able to use that as an active crossover correct? I think that's the way I am thinking about going now. Something like 2 Alpine 445U's for power, one dedicated to the front stage and the second using 1 and 2 for the rears and either use the 3 and 4 channel on the second 445U bridged for a small subwoofer or go with an active hideaway subwoofer.

The DSR1 is a POS and the Alpine 445U's isn’t the best choice power wise unless you have size constraints. I have owned and tried both. A good budget 4 channel amplifier would be the Pioneer D8604 (~$125 new) or the SoundQubed S4-100 $149). Both put out at least 100 watts per channel and will give you the dynamic headroom your speakers need. The best DSP on a budget that is user friendly would be a JL Audio Twk 88. I compared the DSR1 to my JL TwK and there is no comparison in my opinion. I’ve read good things about Mini DSP but have no personal experience with that brand. Helix also makes a high end DSP but Helix is pricy and then there is AudioControl, which makes a DSP and amplifier all in one. The best budget mono subwoofer amplifier I have found and have is the JBL GTX500 selling for just $99 on Crutchfield right now. That amplifier has been shown on a dyno to put out well over 600 watts RMS. The infinity series amplifiers sold by Crutchfield are solid performers too and very efficient. You will need 4 gauge OFC wire though For all of the above mentioned amplifiers for each amplifier for power and ground.

If I got a 4 channel amp dedicated to the front stage and used the Rockford DSR1 I would be able to use that as an active crossover correct? I think that's the way I am thinking about going now. Something like 2 Alpine 445U's for power, one dedicated to the front stage and the second using 1 and 2 for the rears and either use the 3 and 4 channel on the second 445U bridged for a small subwoofer or go with an active hideaway subwoofer.
too little power and too expensive. wont be worth jack sh*t.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.