Amp ohm stability in house and car?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ccapital83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
I have a spare kicker kx amp I use to free air subs inside to break them in before installing and I always wondered what would happen running at 1 ohm. It is way past warranty period and I didn't mind risking damage so I went for it. I ran it for 9 hours straight inside on 2 subs at 1 ohm at the amp it read 1.4 ohms I put it through a series of sweeps also ran constant from 28-36hz tried some you tube bass heavy tracks no matter what I did it never shut off and is still on and ice cold as we speak. Question is its not even warm and that baffles me so how different is that from being in the car at 1 ohm? Does this mean it might be 1 ohm stable in the car also? Is is less taxing on the amp free airing subs or more as apposed to them being inside a enclosure?

i doubt you gave it full power, but i could be wrong. free airing a sub you dont use much power to reach full excursion. run it up to a soft clip and i bet itll get warm

id expect it to be cooler inside than in a car depending on weather

i doubt you gave it full power, but i could be wrong. free airing a sub you dont use much power to reach full excursion. run it up to a soft clip and i bet itll get warm
id expect it to be cooler inside than in a car depending on weather
what about shutting off do you think it would have shut off if 1.4 ohms was an issue for it?

what about shutting off do you think it would have shut off if 1.4 ohms was an issue for it?
2 ohms is technically 1.4 lol the coils are .7 or 1.4 usually so you're good, with rise you'll be well past that

yeah each sub alone was reading 2.3 together they go down to 1.4 total so your saying technically to the amp thats closer to a 2 ohm load? sorry for the stupid questions

yeah each sub alone was reading 2.3 together they go down to 1.4 total so your saying technically to the amp thats closer to a 2 ohm load? sorry for the stupid questions
That is a 2 ohm load

Do you know what the sub is? As in the sticker says its single 2/4 or dual 2/4

Generally a 1 ohm coil reads .7 dcr and a 2 ohm coil reads 1.4 dcr

tl;dr if you don't care about any of the tech stuff. Yes, you're fine

yeah they are dual 4 ohm each and when i wire them to 2 ohm they read 2.3 then put together 1.4 so with ohms you round up not down basically? And thanks for the info appreciate that a lot!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.