Can I fix a bad channel on Sundown 100.4 4 Channel Amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

smashedpumpkins
10+ year member

Recently my FR speaker became quiet and distorted. The speaker and its wiring are fine. I swapped the FL and FR around in the amp and realized that it's the FR channel.

Is there any way to fix a single channel that went out? I temporarily wired both the FR and FL to the FL channel but I don't know how bad of an idea this is. (Aside from losing the right side sound) Can I swap the back channels with the front so it's only the rear that are both left side? Will the head unit settings be reversed when playing with fade?

I bought this system about 10 years ago and it has performed beautifully in 2 different vehicles. The car is being sold to family and I'm sending the system with it. (They'll know of the issue)

Kenwood 8120

CDT Audio ES 62ius Fronts /w tweets

CDT Audio CL 62cv Rears /w tweets

2 Boston Acoustics G1 10"

Sundown 100.4 4 Channel Amp

Sundown 1000d Sub Amp

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Is it possible? Yes.

Can you do it? Probably not.

To repair the dead channel would require you to identify the root cause, and repair it on a component level. Getting a schematic for the amp would be **** near impossible, which will make it that much harder. You could get lucky and find a burnt component on the board and, provided it isn't burnt beyond the point of identification, removed and replaced.

I was afraid this would be the case. I swapped the front and rear speaker wires and RCA inputs. The rear speakers now share the rear left channel. The fronts are where it's at anyway. The sound is still great. Thank you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.