Negative ohms at amp

Participant count
  • Participants list
Ok so I wanted to check final ohm load amp was seeing it’s a 4 channel alpine v12 400s and one channel was reading negative 4.1 at amp so when I take speaker wires off they read positive 4.1 wires hooked upright pos to pos neg to neg rca’s not crossed how is my final ohm comin out negative at amp

Ok so I wanted to check final ohm load amp was seeing it’s a 4 channel alpine v12 400s and one channel was reading negative 4.1 at amp so when I take speaker wires off they read positive 4.1 wires hooked upright pos to pos neg to neg rca’s not crossed how is my final ohm comin out negative at amp
Worst case.. If you want to be sure.. most local car audio shops will test for free or charge very little

I even went as far as switching pos and neg and it still comes out neg makes no sense
I don't know if what I'm about to say is super obvious or not, so I'm just going to say it:

Obviously you cannot have negative resistance, so either 1) your meter is bad or 2) your meter is reading an unexpected signal of some kind and displaying something odd. Basically a software bug. An example: If you set some voltmeters to AC and measure a battery (DC) it will sometimes return a positive voltage reading even though the AC voltage on a battery is zero.

I'm actually not sure I understand what you're even trying to measure. Are you measuring the resistance when you hook the meter up to the amp's speaker terminals, or when you hook the meter up to the speaker itself?

Dmm works fine to test dc volts at amp hell even tested ac current in the house and it works fine
Since its an older amp and no warranty on it.. Id crack it open to see if you have some mosfet or cap issues or burn marks on the board

The DMM uses a small current from it's batteries to calculate the resistance. When you hook the speakers up to the amp, something in the amp is supplying a small current which is enough to mess up the readings from the DMM.

The DMM uses a small current from it's batteries to calculate the resistance. When you hook the speakers up to the amp, something in the amp is supplying a small current which is enough to mess up the readings from the DMM.
That's what I'm thinking. The amp is doing something that the DMM is not expecting when set to read resistance.

Yeah so I played a little more seems like it only reads negative when amp is powered on with amp off it reads positive. And amp is still fully functional and yes I’m am testing with no volume head unit at 0 guess it’s no big deal it still works just getting crazy readings

Yeah so I played a little more seems like it only reads negative when amp is powered on with amp off it reads positive. And amp is still fully functional and yes I’m am testing with no volume head unit at 0 guess it’s no big deal it still works just getting crazy readings
Run it!!Run Till she fails!!Hell it may end up being one of the best amps youll ever own

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.