PocketMan

Building my first car audio system, need help!

Hi! I am completely new to car audio, and just registered on this forum in hope to get some profesionall help hahah.

I just turned 18 and got myself a bmw e46 wagon, so there is a big trunk to work with.

I am not sure of what subwoofers to get, but I want something that is able to play lows. I have been looking at the Sundown Audio SA 15, or 12, and earthquake dbxi 15.

I don't have the biggest budget, and the prices here in Norway are just dumb.

What I want to know is what is the best bang for the buck, and whether to go with two 12s/15s or if its enough with a single 15.

I am open for suggestions and my budget is around 450-700 dollars for the subwoofer(s) :)

(Sorry for my English)

Two 12s would be pretty sweet ..if it was mine I’d go 4 quality 8s though

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3

StreetBeat 2................... 145.6

Stock 1801-up.................153.8

SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2

Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

2 12" sundowns would be good.. just remember correct ported box is just as important as subs., if u can't make one you have to get 1 designed and pay to build it..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

That would be veeery expensive with 4 8s tho hahah

2 12" sundowns would be good.. just remember correct ported box is just as important as subs., if u can't make one you have to get 1 designed and pay to build it..

Yeah, I want to buy a box design specific for my sub(s), and build it myself.

I really want to go with two 12 or 15s, but then I have to have an even more expensive amplifier :\

And what 12s would you recommend?

Yeah, I want to buy a box design specific for my sub(s), and build it myself.

I really want to go with two 12 or 15s, but then I have to have an even more expensive amplifier :\

And what 12s would you recommend?

well the sa's are good subs, some peeps here like the american bass xfl cheaper than sa.. 1 15 would be cheaper and would work on 1k rms the xfl can take more power than that.. either 2 12's or 1 15 would take about 4cf ad box so keep in mind space makes bass.. i'd tell u fu750 like mine but they in u.s. so shipping would kill u..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

If you're on a tight budget you might check out the Rockville K9 12". It's reviewed on EXO's Youtube channel.

Rockville K9 12" Sub

I've got a Sundown SA-12 on 1.2kw in a good box (same builder that did Grandpa's). It hits hard. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sundown. If you're trying to hit the low-lows make sure you get the right box built by someone who knows what they're doing, and tune your system accordingly.

Polk DB 6.5 components and coaxials, Alpine MRV M1200 (1200x1 @ 2) and MRX F30 (50x4 @ 4) amplifiers, Pioneer double din HU, Sundown SA-12 in ported enclosure (built to spec).

Also check out the Sundown U-series. Rated at twice the RMS of the SA-series and only about $100 more.

Polk DB 6.5 components and coaxials, Alpine MRV M1200 (1200x1 @ 2) and MRX F30 (50x4 @ 4) amplifiers, Pioneer double din HU, Sundown SA-12 in ported enclosure (built to spec).

If you're on a tight budget you might check out the Rockville K9 12". It's reviewed on EXO's Youtube channel.

Rockville K9 12" Sub

I've got a Sundown SA-12 on 1.2kw in a good box (same builder that did Grandpa's). It hits hard. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sundown. If you're trying to hit the low-lows make sure you get the right box built by someone who knows what they're doing, and tune your system accordingly.

rockvilles are sold out now for months and they had coil problems.. saying they gonna fix it idk whats up..

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

Also check out the Sundown U-series. Rated at twice the RMS of the SA-series and only about $100 more.

those U's look good af.. about same weight as my fu but looks bigger higher rms. outta my price and power range anyway..

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

well the sa's are good subs, some peeps here like the american bass xfl cheaper than sa.. 1 15 would be cheaper and would work on 1k rms the xfl can take more power than that.. either 2 12's or 1 15 would take about 4cf ad box so keep in mind space makes bass.. i'd tell u fu750 like mine but they in u.s. so shipping would kill u..

I have looked at subs from USA, and what it costs with shipping, and its just insane.

The price of a Sundown Audio X12 in USA is 500 dollars, and in Norway it costs 770 dollars...

Something I have considered tho, is to get a box design for 2 15s, but run only one 15 to begin with. And get the other 15 when I have enough money.

Will this sound absolutely **** with only one of them in? Considering that the box is built for two hahah

I could also go with 12s, as this leaves maybe a little more space

you could do that theoretically, as in build 2 separate boxes, with different ports.. but its not the best practice. having multiple subs in a common chamber, with a common port is highly recommended vs splitting them up.

Running 1 sub in a box designed for 2 is not a good idea either, as you could easily damage the sub. building a box is maybe $100 and your time. build a proper box for 1 sub, then sell it to a friend when you get your 2nd sub.

Avinusa HU for 2007 Honda Crv

Electrical : Duracell Grp 34 AGM with Big3

front stage : Sundown Sae 50.4 on DB651s

Sub amp : AB 4480.1

Subs : 2) Sundown SA-12s @1 ohm in 3.8cu'ft @ 32hz

you could do that theoretically, as in build 2 separate boxes, with different ports.. but its not the best practice. having multiple subs in a common chamber, with a common port is highly recommended vs splitting them up.

Running 1 sub in a box designed for 2 is not a good idea either, as you could easily damage the sub. building a box is maybe $100 and your time. build a proper box for 1 sub, then sell it to a friend when you get your 2nd sub.

Oh okay, I didn't know you could damage the sub by having a too large box. I will just wipe that idea then hahah..

If I were to go with a single 15" with a max price tag of 600USD, what sub would you guys go with?

Oh okay, I didn't know you could damage the sub by having a too large box. I will just wipe that idea then hahah..

If I were to go with a single 15" with a max price tag of 600USD, what sub would you guys go with?

What's available to you locally?

What's available to you locally?

We have ALOT of ground zero subs here in Norway.. There aren't really many stores in Norway that sell real car audio either, so I will just order online. Here are some links to some Norwegian websites.

https://www.bassbrothers.no/bilstereo/basshoyttalere?sort_193=217&page_193=1

Subwoofere › Produktkategorier › Sandviks Bass & Bongel

https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/subwoofer-bass/filter/basselement

We have ALOT of ground zero subs here in Norway.. There aren't really many stores in Norway that sell real car audio either, so I will just order online. Here are some links to some Norwegian websites.

https://www.bassbrothers.no/bilstereo/basshoyttalere?sort_193=217&page_193=1

Subwoofere › Produktkategorier › Sandviks Bass & Bongel

https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/subwoofer-bass/filter/basselement

do you want just loud or mostly sq or middle? how much power will you have to run it or how much $ will u spend on amp?

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

do you want just loud or mostly sq or middle? how much power will you have to run it or how much $ will u spend on amp?

I want something that is loud, and capable of playing low notes. For the amp, I will go with something around 400-500 dollars, kinda hard to say right now, but I will definetly have to get something with enough power.

Sorry for late replies, still getting used to the forum.

I want something that is loud, and capable of playing low notes. For the amp, I will go with something around 400-500 dollars, kinda hard to say right now, but I will definetly have to get something with enough power.

Sorry for late replies, still getting used to the forum.

sa is pretty loud does ok on lows by most accounts the x is better at lows but doesn't play higher as well and takes lots more power.. that sundown U looks like it may be better at both but cost more and again takes more power.. keep in mind after what we call "box rise" sub only really gets about 1/2 the power amp makes. really it's close to what the next highest ohm load is (so if u wired to 1 ohm amp does 1500 but at 2 ohm if amp does 750 thats what's closer to actual power to sub) point is if u want 1500rms u need a big amp like 2k+ and u will need big 3 wires under hood and 2nd battery.. so if u don't want to spend more $ on bigger wire etc go with d2 sa 15 and a 1k- 1200rms amp (set gain well) but something like a rockford 750 will do ok with it. if u don't mind the other $ and work get a "bigger" sub and amp

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

sa is pretty loud does ok on lows by most accounts the x is better at lows but doesn't play higher as well and takes lots more power.. that sundown U looks like it may be better at both but cost more and again takes more power.. keep in mind after what we call "box rise" sub only really gets about 1/2 the power amp makes. really it's close to what the next highest ohm load is (so if u wired to 1 ohm amp does 1500 but at 2 ohm if amp does 750 thats what's closer to actual power to sub) point is if u want 1500rms u need a big amp like 2k+ and u will need big 3 wires under hood and 2nd battery.. so if u don't want to spend more $ on bigger wire etc go with d2 sa 15 and a 1k- 1200rms amp (set gain well) but something like a rockford 750 will do ok with it. if u don't mind the other $ and work get a "bigger" sub and amp

Sa series will take 1k without any problems with a clean signal. Clip at that power, and you have instant recone practice. as you mentioned box rise, id recommend a 2k amp on an sa series sub. Headroom is a good thing.

FYI, im gonna be running 3 sa12s on my scv3000d at .66 ohms. and they will like it.

Avinusa HU for 2007 Honda Crv

Electrical : Duracell Grp 34 AGM with Big3

front stage : Sundown Sae 50.4 on DB651s

Sub amp : AB 4480.1

Subs : 2) Sundown SA-12s @1 ohm in 3.8cu'ft @ 32hz

If you list the available space you are willing to give up H x W x D and let the forum weigh in on choices, you'll get good info. People here will tell ya what'll fit, even account for port clearance, I'm sure everyone here would be able to advise you on what'll fit, get low and sound good... just let folks hear what sort of result/goal you want. Also, if you put up a pic of the cargo area that would help. If you want to keep it under the windowline make sure the height you give is that measurement, and realistically how many electrical upgrades are you willing to pay for. A 3-5K amp will probably need some $$$ just in electrical upgrades to be done correctly (alt, batts and wire) so think about that.

Even a single 15 can use just a bit of space...

yF2TZ1.jpg

Lol... doin a pair could get kinda big... do you got a lot of space that you'll give up?

After what I have heard and read about the SA 15, thats what I will most likely go with. A single SA 15 with a decent amp, and a good sized box :)

If you list the available space you are willing to give up H x W x D and let the forum weigh in on choices, you'll get good info. People here will tell ya what'll fit, even account for port clearance, I'm sure everyone here would be able to advise you on what'll fit, get low and sound good... just let folks hear what sort of result/goal you want. Also, if you put up a pic of the cargo area that would help. If you want to keep it under the windowline make sure the height you give is that measurement, and realistically how many electrical upgrades are you willing to pay for. A 3-5K amp will probably need some $$$ just in electrical upgrades to be done correctly (alt, batts and wire) so think about that.

Even a single 15 can use just a bit of space...

yF2TZ1.jpg

Lol... doin a pair could get kinda big... do you got a lot of space that you'll give up?

I went out and meassured the trunk, and the design of it is kinda stupid.. the space closest to the rear seats have this kind of curve that takes up alot of space. I would have taken some pictures but its kinda late and dark. But this is excactly like mine. The thing you see on the top of the seats can also be removed https://www.google.no/search?q=Bmw+e46+wagon+trunk&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCsc2-3b_aAhUDhiwKHZqUATYQ_AUICigB&biw=1745&bih=885#imgrc=MFk96KuEwOpn3M:

The numbers I got was H20 x W36 x D23, and I could maybe go up to 27 in depth if needed. Are you sure that box isn't designed for an E46? Hahaha.

I see now that a pair of 15 would take up all the space, so that can't be done. I will just go with a single 15. Changing the alternator is also something i don't want to do, but an extra battery could be done if that is any help.

I went out and meassured the trunk, and the design of it is kinda stupid.. the space closest to the rear seats have this kind of curve that takes up alot of space. I would have taken some pictures but its kinda late and dark. But this is excactly like mine. The thing you see on the top of the seats can also be removed https://www.google.no/search?q=Bmw+e46+wagon+trunk&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCsc2-3b_aAhUDhiwKHZqUATYQ_AUICigB&biw=1745&bih=885#imgrc=MFk96KuEwOpn3M:

The numbers I got was H20 x W36 x D23, and I could maybe go up to 27 in depth if needed. Are you sure that box isn't designed for an E46? Hahaha.

I see now that a pair of 15 would take up all the space, so that can't be done. I will just go with a single 15. Changing the alternator is also something i don't want to do, but an extra battery could be done if that is any help.

yeah 1 15 will take box about like 2 12's but u only have to buy 1 sub and use all amps power to 1 sub.. amp quality has dropped a lot so if u get a sundown sub u be ok but let us help you pick the amp of course we don't know prices over there..

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

I have looked at subs from USA, and what it costs with shipping, and its just insane.

The price of a Sundown Audio X12 in USA is 500 dollars, and in Norway it costs 770 dollars...

Something I have considered tho, is to get a box design for 2 15s, but run only one 15 to begin with. And get the other 15 when I have enough money.

Will this sound absolutely **** with only one of them in? Considering that the box is built for two hahah

I could also go with 12s, as this leaves maybe a little more space

check on the prices you can get for B2 audio, digital designs, vibe audio(black death series only), ground zero and you already listed earthquake. Those brands are go to brands in the EU for loud and low bass. There should be plenty of dealers for them that you can get for cheaper. They are every bit as good as sundown.

I'd go with a single 18 inch sub in the space available to you with the dimensions you provided.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Really id do a single 1-1.5k 15" sub in an enclosure

tuned to 33-34hz and add a decent AGM battery or 2 if needed...then watch voltage. A 1.5-2k amp would match the sub well and if voltage drops too much , cross that hurdle if it becomes a problem.

Look at the local available gear... the B2 stuff is good equipment.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new FREE account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now