Trying to build my first sound system

cowenj

Hey everyone this is my first time doing anything like this and I know nothing. I bought a truck that had no sound system at all, no head unit door speakers nothing the PO had removed it before selling so I'm starting with nothing. I don't have a whole lot of money but still don't want to put junk in so I've been doing a little reading and this is what I've come up with. I just want to run it by people who know their stuff so I hopefully don't do something stupid.

For a hu I was thinking the "Kenwood DPX502BT Double-Din CD Receiver with USB Interface"

Truck has spots for 4, 6x9s "

Kicker

Kicker 6x9 360W Car Speakers (4 Pack) + Boss 1000W Amplifier + 8 Gauge Wiring"

I've been looking at kits so I at least know that the amp and everything will work together

Kicker Comps 500W Subwoofer + Q Power Truck Enclosure + Boss 1100W A/B Amplifier

Average rating:eek:ut of5stars, based onreviewsWrite a reviewratings

And that's the sub

Already have 2 tweeters mounted at the top corners of the windshield and was just going to run them without an amp

Let me know what y'all think and I really appreciate any feedback.

What's a reasonable budget? I'm just looking for a simple solid sound system I do t needcrazy bass or anything from what ive read 4 6x9s, a sealed 12, and tweeters will do everything I want the stuff I posted seemed to fit the bill but if it's crap I could spend a little more.

The truck will need 6x8s ..it’s best to only update front door location..and not use the rear ...as far as subs if I remember there’s not a lot of room behind the seats ..but if you have enough room a single 12 would be nice ...

So I should only run 2 mid range speakers instead of 4? And should I get an amp with them or just run them off the head unit? Is the 12 set up I posted appropriate?

Sorry I sound dumb but I appreciate y'all help

So I should only run 2 mid range speakers instead of 4? And should I get an amp with them or just run them off the head unit? Is the 12 set up I posted appropriate?
Sorry I sound dumb but I appreciate y'all help
rear speakers should be stock on head unit power, they dont matter, any money spent on them is wasted money.

Put that money onto a better component set, like image dynamics or a better head unit. No coaxials.

You never buy anything boss ever, boss is the lowest quality bottom of the barrel garbage you can get.. Get a pioneer gm8604d instead and bridge that to your front components.

Never believe amazon ratings, its from clueless noobs that are happy that they got anything to work and a lot of dumb@sses that like to inflate their ego by saying, "these kicker comps and boss amp blew my windshield"

Ok great so pioneer amps. Maybe a sundown sub? The truck has no speakers in it at all or head unit so using the OEM is out of the question. What is a good choice for 6x8 mids?and if I have no stock one's should I still leave out the back? Thanks

Maybe 2 6x8 (brand?)

1 sundown sd3 10in in a sealed box

A pioneer 2ch amp for the door speakers

And a pioneer monoblock for the sub

How does that sound?

Maybe 2 6x8 (brand?) 1 sundown sd3 10in in a sealed box

A pioneer 2ch amp for the door speakers

And a pioneer monoblock for the sub

How does that sound?
bad.

I already told you what to get amp wise. gm 6804 Specific models matter and thats the best bang for buck.

Sealed boxes are garbage in trucks. You'll need a ported box side firing port, OR a center console with rear firing port. no ifs ands or buts unless you want bass thats weak as door speakers.

Also your beginning kenwood head unit choice is bad. looking it up, it only has a 16 bit dac, means sh*t sound quality off the batt. 24 bit dacs or higher if you want anything decent out of your system. coupled along with weak pre-out voltages as well. Definitely one step away from the lowest end of the kenwood head unit selection spectrum.

This is an overall way superior head unit audio specs wise.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130S701BS/Pioneer-FH-S701BS.html?tp=72406

For speakers, Theres literally only garbage selections for 6x8 and 5x7 speakers. I'd just get an adapter and do a quality pair of 6.5s and tweeters. It'll make things sound way better for a lot cheaper unless you like spending 250+ on speakers which are these which are the only 6x8s that are worth anything. https://www.amazon.com/XS-57-Dynamics-Component-Speaker-System/dp/B004XWN7U6#customerReviews

Thats around 550 after tax for head unit, speakers, and amp. Yes you will need all 4 channels of that amp, you will need to bridge the 4 channel into 2 channel mode to get proper amounts of power to the speakers. you always want over 200+ watts per component set for a plethora of reasons which i can go into detail if you want but in short, more power to speakers = more clarity, detail at higher volume without the speaker getting stressed and sound like garbage due to the amp distorting from not having enough power.

leaves 450 for sub, enclosure and amp. If you can build your own box, you'll save a lot of money If you feel like sacrificing the center console to make your box build easier and open up sub choices, that'll be swell as well.

i agree with jeff in keeping stock rears (if they work at all now) run them off hu get hu with hp pass xover and 24da convertor so they won't distort.. yeah 6.5" comps would be better for front on amp just get adapters u can find some that are ok for $95 or so.. the pioneer 4 channel was tested recently and did well but other option as tommy suggested get a soundqubed 100x4 $149 (also tested well) bridge 2 channels to 1 sub idk about the sd but other subs will work well with that power.. https://soundqubed.com/product/s4-100/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.