bbrodin

HU Crossover or Amp Crossover??

Just purchased a Sony HU that allows me to set crossover points. Does it affect the sound or make a difference if the xover is set with the amp or the HU. I would prefer to set it on the HU as I can pick the precise Hz, rather than guessing on an analog knob. I assume that I would just need to turn all xovers on the amp to their base numbers and let the HU do the work. Does it make a difference? Thoughts?

head unit over amp all day any day.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Just purchased a Sony HU that allows me to set crossover points. Does it affect the sound or make a difference if the xover is set with the amp or the HU. I would prefer to set it on the HU as I can pick the precise Hz, rather than guessing on an analog knob. I assume that I would just need to turn all xovers on the amp to their base numbers and let the HU do the work. Does it make a difference? Thoughts?

If you use both crossovers you would change your slope and you my have under over lap frequency gaps ..it’s best to use the decks crossover and set your amp flat and bypass ..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3

StreetBeat 2................... 145.6

Stock 1801-up.................153.8

SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2

Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

head unit over amp all day any day.

...even on a holiday.

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Wolfram amps coming soon, 3000.1, 125.4

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

How do you turn the xover off on a sub amp that has no on/off switch?

Pioneer DEH-S6120BS head unit, Alpine R-S65C.2 comps, RF P300.2 amp, SSA Demon 12" subwoofer, vented box 3.12ft^3 @ 39.22hz, JBL GTR-1001 amp, Knukonceptz fuse blocks/wiring, Stinger 4k series rca's. 

It should have a "full pass" setting or something like that.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4

HU: CD7200MKII

Front Stage: SI TM25/ID X-69

Front Stage Amp: PG Ti21000.4

Sub Stage: Sundown SD-3 12 x2 (soon to be 3 SA-8v3s in a CSCStang TLine)

Sub Stage Amp: PG Ti22000.1

Only has a 50-250hz knob. Its a 1 channel amp a RF 501bd

Pioneer DEH-S6120BS head unit, Alpine R-S65C.2 comps, RF P300.2 amp, SSA Demon 12" subwoofer, vented box 3.12ft^3 @ 39.22hz, JBL GTR-1001 amp, Knukonceptz fuse blocks/wiring, Stinger 4k series rca's. 

I read that I can turn it to 250hz which would be basically turning it off

I read that I can turn it to 250hz which would be basically turning it off

if there isnt a full pass switch, just turn it all the way to the highest point so itll interfere as little as possible

Only has a 50-250hz knob. Its a 1 channel amp a RF 501bd

If the amp lp is undefeatable id just use the amps LPF like I said using multiple crossovers deck processor amp ..ect increases your crossover slope and will have weird effects on the sound ..your deck should have a setting for through but still maintain the sub level for adjusting bass level ..I’ve done a lot of research on this area when I was competing ..because a lot of the bigger amps had undefeatable crossovers as well ..I’ve gained over a decibel in competition by just using the amps crossover and bypassing the decks internals ..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3

StreetBeat 2................... 145.6

Stock 1801-up.................153.8

SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2

Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

On 4/10/2018 at 10:55 PM, Louisiana_CRX said:

If you use both crossovers you would change your slope and you my have under over lap frequency gaps ..it’s best to use the decks crossover and set your amp flat and bypass ..

Can overlap and gap be used in same context 😂😂😂 

Ok so it's best to use deck. Great thanks answers my question. 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:37 PM, Boomin_tahoe said:

...even on a holiday.

Not this one ☝😂😂😂

On 4/11/2018 at 9:39 AM, Louisiana_CRX said:

If the amp lp is undefeatable id just use the amps LPF like I said using multiple crossovers deck processor amp ..ect increases your crossover slope and will have weird effects on the sound ..your deck should have a setting for through but still maintain the sub level for adjusting bass level ..I’ve done a lot of research on this area when I was competing ..because a lot of the bigger amps had undefeatable crossovers as well ..I’ve gained over a decibel in competition by just using the amps crossover and bypassing the decks internalsintern

Incressing slope does not always equal bad effects 

Ok so it's best to use amp. Or not! Lol

I like to use both. Is there not an application for this? Why choose between hu with limited frequencies cross or amp with limited slopes ect. Using both will give steeper slopes and more frequencies to choose from. sometimes this is encouraged/sought after. No? Thanks

Edited by Gfedglass

5 hours ago, Gfedglass said:

Can overlap and gap be used in same context 😂😂😂 

Ok so it's best to use deck. Great thanks answers my question. 

Not this one ☝😂😂😂

Incressing slope does not always equal bad effects 

Ok so it's best to use amp. Or not! Lol

I like to use both. Is there not an application for this? Why choose between hu with limited frequencies cross or amp with limited slopes ect. Using both will give steeper slopes and more frequencies to choose from. sometimes this is encouraged/sought after. No? Thanks

necro commenting again, YAY!!!

14 hours ago, youdoofus said:

Just tryna make some sense out of out your content you doofus 😂😂😂

16 hours ago, Gfedglass said:

Just tryna make some sense out of out your content you doofus 😂😂😂

you didnt even quote me in your post 

13 hours ago, youdoofus said:

you didnt even quote me in your post 

You the moderator right 😂😂😂

On 1/25/2019 at 4:33 PM, youdoofus said:

Well whatever that means anyway lol

1 hour ago, Gfedglass said:

You the moderator right 😂😂😂

pffffft, i should be with how often im on here and how much i scroll/troll thru here ;) eh, @denim

1 hour ago, Gfedglass said:

Well whatever that means anyway lol

ive been a mod in other forums, just havent really given it much thought here as im usually cussin a fair amount which is a thing that mods generally are frowned upon for doing and shit :D

When traffic was booming, we had a big team of mods, but I think I am the only remaining original moderator.  But there are a few others, overall there very little moderation that is needed anymore.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

I prefer a switch or numerical value over a sweep knob where you have no idea what value youre actually setting it at. So in this instance, i would presume the HU has actual numbers and i would use that.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now