Pioneer GM-D8604 Amp Dyno

Appreciate all the vids.

One thing I wish more 4ch amps had is the simple addition of a x10 swith for the crossovers, which would convert this model's 40-500Hz over to 400-5kHz. This would allow folks who are truly on a budget to still do active crossover setups for their component drivers without the need for a DSP head.

These series have been hidden gems for a while. Some company/publication did a detailed review with benchmarks a couple years ago. If and when I redo everything these are what I plan on going with.

Thanks again for the vid, BB.

The Pioneer GM-D amps are powerful, and at that price point, hard to beat. Now we need to find someone that wants to follow-up these amplifier dyno tests with signal reproduction and sound quality tests.

I know one thing the 9604 is way more expensive than the 8604 and not nearly as many places have it in stock so if the 8604 is an older model it is probably going to be discontinued soon and then 9604 cost seriously twice as much if not more so if you're thinking about using these amps you had better grab them soon hopefully somebody can figure out more about it than I did but that's what it seems like to me which ***** because these seem like tiller amps especially that they can be bridged at 2 ohms because that is what I need for my mids and highs so I'm probably going to be trying to grab two of these very soon

You arent getting it lmao.... The are literally the same amp. The 9604 is more accurately rated while the 8604 is underated.
Initially I thought the same thing but if you look at the GM-D8601 vs. the GM-D9601, the 9601 is physically longer and has a different board layout with a few more caps and transistors. The same is true for the comparison between the 8604 vs. 9604 with the 9604 being physically longer (the PDF illustrates this) so, although I haven't been able to compare the guts yet, there's a slim possibility that it has a few more components inside to support the marginally higher power ratings or bolster the reliability of the same actual power. Maybe not, maybe the heatsink is just longer for the sake of consistency. Or maybe it's an even bigger sleeper. Seems like the 8601 & 8604 are being phased out in favor of the slightly improved 9601 & 9604, rated for a bit more power and with any luck maybe even sounding better due to lower noise or whatever. Couple links to compare guts. Bonus vid for essqews.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.