bigblank69

Pioneer GM-D8604 Amp Dyno

Maybe this one can replace the Soundstream as the go to Budget 4 channel

Head Unit: Pioneer Avic-5201NEX

Amplifiers: Orion XTR1000.4, Alphard DB-2000.1D

Front Speakers: Infinity Perfect 600 Components

Rear Speakers: Image Dynamics ID6.5

Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio 12TW3-D4

Never saw that one before... Need to see if I can find it for sale...

Appreciate all the vids.

One thing I wish more 4ch amps had is the simple addition of a x10 swith for the crossovers, which would convert this model's 40-500Hz over to 400-5kHz. This would allow folks who are truly on a budget to still do active crossover setups for their component drivers without the need for a DSP head.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

I am a huge fan of the Pioneer amps. Great value and reliability.

These series have been hidden gems for a while. Some company/publication did a detailed review with benchmarks a couple years ago. If and when I redo everything these are what I plan on going with.

Thanks again for the vid, BB.

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

The Pioneer GM-D amps are powerful, and at that price point, hard to beat. Now we need to find someone that wants to follow-up these amplifier dyno tests with signal reproduction and sound quality tests.

Never saw that one before... Need to see if I can find it for sale...

i didn't know the 4 channels would do 1 ohm.. that amp tested at about what the 9604 rates at so it may do 160x4 at 4 ohm..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

i didn't know the 4 channels would do 1 ohm.. that amp tested at about what the 9604 rates at so it may do 160x4 at 4 ohm..

Pioneer website says 130x4, its basically the same exact amp as the 8604

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Pioneer website says 130x4, its basically the same exact amp as the 8604

right so the 8604 tested higher than rated, i'm saying if same is true for 9604 it maybe close to 900.4

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

right so the 8604 tested higher than rated, i'm saying if same is true for 9604 it maybe close to 900.4

You arent getting it lmao.... The are literally the same amp. The 9604 is more accurately rated while the 8604 is underated.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

You arent getting it lmao.... The are literally the same amp. The 9604 is more accurately rated while the 8604 is underated.

ok so this is just the newer version got ya.. thought it was upper model

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

So these have been out for a while too? I'm surprised they haven't gotten more recognition by now if so

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

I know one thing the 9604 is way more expensive than the 8604 and not nearly as many places have it in stock so if the 8604 is an older model it is probably going to be discontinued soon and then 9604 cost seriously twice as much if not more so if you're thinking about using these amps you had better grab them soon hopefully somebody can figure out more about it than I did but that's what it seems like to me which ***** because these seem like tiller amps especially that they can be bridged at 2 ohms because that is what I need for my mids and highs so I'm probably going to be trying to grab two of these very soon

Initially I thought the same thing but if you look at the GM-D8601 vs. the GM-D9601, the 9601 is physically longer and has a different board layout with a few more caps and transistors. The same is true for the comparison between the 8604 vs. 9604 with the 9604 being physically longer (the PDF illustrates this) so, although I haven't been able to compare the guts yet, there's a slim possibility that it has a few more components inside to support the marginally higher power ratings or bolster the reliability of the same actual power. Maybe not, maybe the heatsink is just longer for the sake of consistency. Or maybe it's an even bigger sleeper. Seems like the 8601 & 8604 are being phased out in favor of the slightly improved 9601 & 9604, rated for a bit more power and with any luck maybe even sounding better due to lower noise or whatever. Couple links to compare guts. Bonus vid for essqews.

Here are the guts for the 8604, haven't been able to find any for the 9604 so far. Maybe someone who has one will give us a money shot.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

I've known Pioneer to have the 9601 and 8601 for a long time. I don't believe it is a phase out of the "8" series.

I've known Pioneer to have the 9601 and 8601 for a long time. I don't believe it is a phase out of the "8" series.
That seems to settle the debate then. They must be different in some way, however small that may be. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense for two identical amplifiers to exist along side each other carrying different part numbers.

That seems to settle the debate then. They must be different in some way, however small that may be. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense for two identical amplifiers to exist along side each other carrying different part numbers.
They are different. But the 9604 is a non US version. Pioneer has a bunch of international stuff that I wish was sold here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/GM-D8601_OwnersManual062716.pdf

The answer is right there in the owners manual. the 8601 is a rated 800rms@1 ohm and the 9601 is rated 1200@1 ohm, the sizes are also different, the 9601 being larger and weighing 1.3lbs more.

They are 2 different amps but they make similar power.

giphy.gif

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/GM-D8601_OwnersManual062716.pdf

The answer is right there in the owners manual. the 8601 is a rated 800rms@1 ohm and the 9601 is rated 1200@1 ohm, the sizes are also different, the 9601 being larger and weighing 1.3lbs more.

They are 2 different amps but they make similar power.

Yep. That one's clear, bud. I'm fishing for what the actual difference may be between the 8604 vs. 9604. I probably created some confusion with my extra babble about the differences between the 8601 vs. 9601, my fault.

Yep. That one's clear, bud. I'm fishing for what the actual difference may be between the 8604 vs. 9604. I probably created some confusion with my extra babble about the differences between the 8601 vs. 9601, my fault.

Basically the same observations apply after comparing owners manuals. The 9604 is rated for more power, has more fusing, is bigger and weighs more and has the bass boost remote control plug in jack.

giphy.gif

Basically the same observations apply after comparing owners manuals. The 9604 is rated for more power, has more fusing, is bigger and weighs more and has the bass boost remote control plug in jack.
I'm with you there, too. It looks like gramps could be right. Only way to know for sure would be to crack 'em open and test 'em.

Did you guys notice the hellacious price difference to I don't think the 9604 can really be considered a budget amp at well over $300 but the 8604 seems to be very nice budget amp which is exactly what I'm looking for for mids and highs something that can run 2 ohms per Channel and put out at least 500 watts per Channel x 2 channels for my mids in that is bare-bones minimum power wise need the same thing for my tweeters but with 250 Watts per Channel x 2 channels being bare-bones minimum so the only options are one extremely large 4-channel with tons of Headroom on the Tweeter side or two two channels which there does not seem to be a very great selection on class D 2-channel Mini amps to 8604 seems to fit the bill pretty well since it can be bridged into two channels at 2 ohms was hoping to get a little more power to my mids but the price point 8604 seems to be unbeatable was hoping the 9604 would be the answer but not for that kind of money

Maybe the 9604 has things like Burr Brown opamps/DACs, better caps, better transistors. Who knows.

Wonder if it compares to the PRS-A900. Doubt it but that would be cool.

Maybe the 9604 has things like Burr Brown opamps/DACs, better caps, better transistors. Who knows.

Wonder if it compares to the PRS-A900. Doubt it but that would be cool.

As mentioned the 9604 appears to be an international only amp, which would explain the higher pricing as it would be a gray market import.