Anyone try the new Anarchy 5" yet?

It would be nice if they provided a PDF for this version so we could get a look at the top end response. Should be better for a 2way than the 7" but we still need to know how to address the break up.

im in the market for some mids for a 2 way setup, are these only ran as an active setup? I looked around in the link and I didn't see anything with passive crossovers.

I just realized it all home audio. Are you using these for home or car audio?

im in the market for some mids for a 2 way setup, are these only ran as an active setup? I looked around in the link and I didn't see anything with passive crossovers.
I just realized it all home audio. Are you using these for home or car audio?
No passive kits that I'm aware of, boss. You'll have to use them active. Lots of people use the 7" in the vehicle, here's a link to an old thred with my terrible vids. The first is without a sub, second with the sub.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/595098-about-exodus-anarchy.html

Nice. I don't want to invest in a DSP so I can't run active with my NEX4100. I read everyone is active, except me lol.
It really is the way to go.
You can pull off the old school version of active which is basically using amplifiers that have very flexible crossovers that will allow you to cross high between the mid and tweet. Somewhere in the 2k-3k region. Between your head unit and sub amp you should be able to handle high pass for the mid and low pass for the sub.

That doesn't give you EQ or time alignment but it does shed those passive crossovers and give you the flexibility to tune to your tastes.

It really is the way to go.
You can pull off the old school version of active which is basically using amplifiers that have very flexible crossovers that will allow you to cross high between the mid and tweet. Somewhere in the 2k-3k region. Between your head unit and sub amp you should be able to handle high pass for the mid and low pass for the sub.

That doesn't give you EQ or time alignment but it does shed those passive crossovers and give you the flexibility to tune to your tastes.

Yeah I've been doing some searches with 2 way active without DSP. I might give it a try. Im still reading on it, hard to find info here as I can't get the search engine to work.

So beak81champ recently purchased a pair of these for himself but he loaned them to me for subjective testing purposes, which allowed me to satisfy my curiosity about their performance. A big round of applause for his generosity. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/applause.gif.bb805d8088f72dbc2fe808c29e85fb4c.gif

Long story short, they are worth every penny of $55/each. Truly a scaled down version of the 7" Anarchy with most of the same attributes, including an XBL^2 motor and the deep mounting depth. But with a much better behaved top end for proper 2way!

Long story long; As you would expect, they have lots of clean excursion and a very solid bottom end. Mechanical stroke is limited by the surround to a healthy 3/4" (this is a 5" driver!). You'll want to stay well under that (to about 1/2") in order to keep inter-modulation distortion in check if you plan to use them in a 2way with the usual crossover points. Push beyond that 1/2" excursion and vocals will suffer from the obvious IM distortion. If you're not relying on them for midrange, used as the woofer in a 3way, IM distortion is a bit less of a concern and you can push them almost to the full 3/4" stroke before hearing any physical distress. These have a low Fs (~40Hz) with a medium Q and they can bring some pretty low bass up front for SQ installs if you wish, or you could use them on more power at a higher crossover point for keeping up with more powerful installs. You might also double up on them at that point, running a quad.

Like many, the first thing I always do with new drivers is hold one in my hand and feed it a full range source with familiar music. Listening to a driver without an enclosure and without high or lowpass filters will tell you a lot about the inherent character it offers. It can give you some idea of the mechanical power handling abilities on the low end, as well as revealing any potential problem areas on the top end like cone break up. This can help guide you toward the proper filter applications and home in on problem areas that may require a notch filter or similar. If a driver doesn't sound "right" or natural in your hand with a full range signal played through it, how much work will it take to get it to sound natural and is it worth it? Good questions to ask because depending on why it doesn't sound natural, you may never get rid of those sonic signatures that cause it to sound unnatural. Contrary to popular belief, DSP does not fix everything. Better to start with drivers that naturally behave better.

The good news is that the 5" Anarchy sounds pretty darn good without too much of anything offensive on the top end with regards to the usual aluminum cone breakup in the 4kHz to 7kHz region. To be sure, there is certainly some evidence of this but it's not nearly as bad as I'd expected. Nothing like you would see on a graph for a Seas aluminum driver and I don't see it being an issue with 18dB/24dB slopes around 2-3kHz. Those who will choose to use 12dB slopes will need to EQ just a little to make things right but you can still drive them pretty hard without the top end breakup becoming evident lower down in the passband. Try that with the 7" Anarchy and you will be rewarded with a harsh and strident presentation that grates on your ears over time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif It can be done, but it's hard to pull off a smooth-sounding 2way with the 7".

After sampling the driver in my hand, it's time to put the drivers through an accelerated but carefully structured break-in sequence before any serious subjective listening is done. This is not as important for power handling concerns, or settling in driver parameters, as it is for opening up the low/mid/high frequencies. The most minuscule details in the music are not as easily released from the new, tight suspension as they are after a proper break in, and the driver just has less congestion with an easier sound to it afterwards. Break-in consisted of a few fast, gentle sweeps from 80Hz to 45Hz to gently exercise the suspension from new, followed by ten minutes of randomized warble tones for a warm up. I then moved on to a half hour with a 45Hz sine wave at about half excursion (noted voltage) and finally, 2 full hours with a 38Hz sine wave at full excursion (noted voltage points for duplication with other the driver). Temps were stable and no smells were noted. Performing break-in this way is not required, as you can do the same thing slowly over time, but I didn't have weeks at my disposal so I opted for the quick approach. But it does provide a deeper, warmer bass with better definition and opens up the mid/high range, and I wanted these to be ready as possible for the stiff competition ahead.

I put these Anarchy 5" up against some pretty phenomenal 5" drivers for a proper musical comparison and I was quite pleased, even surprised at times. The SB Acoustics 5" aluminum, SB Acoustics 5" ceramic, and EAD E100HD MKII 5" aluminum were used as a reference. These are all drivers I am very familiar with and they're among the finest sounding devices available, irrespective of price. If you haven't heard any of them, do yourself a favor! If some of them aren't in your budget, I highly recommend grabbing the Anarchy 5" because some aspects of the performance are a close match for this size of driver.

Without going through the long list of songs and my impression of how each driver sounds, I would say the biggest difference in performance is the top end extension and refinement is a bit lacking with the Anarchy when compared to these other drivers, but this is hardly an apples to apples comparison across the board. Especially since the EAD is a true full range bending wave driver and is easily the most natural sounding driver I've come across. It also bears mentioning that the Anarchy is truly a woofer first, with a nice midrange performance, rather than a true midrange, so it can easily be forgiven for it's "shortcomings" in this grouping. All the other drivers have copper sleeves in the motor, titanium or fiberglass voice coil formers, and thinner cones that are curved to varying degrees. Where, the Anarchy has shorting rings in the motor, an aluminum former, and a thicker straight profile cone, geared more toward bass duties. It's really no surprise these other drivers sound a bit more refined throughout the midrange and the top end. But I chose to compare the Anarchy to all these drivers because they do sound so good, and I wanted to know what the Anarchy really had to offer when stacked up against them.

Overall, it has a stunning low frequency performance that belies its size, easily digging into the 30's for deep bass extension (home use). It can become even more authoritative if you keep it from playing that low in frequency and use the available excursion for dynamics instead (active, vehicle use). It's not the most sensitive driver so be sure to feed it a good amount of power, 75-100w should be sufficient. It's agile and remains composed with complex chords and interweaving of closely clustered instruments, so bass/midbass and low midrange always come through with a very nice separation of detail and a decent sense of space. Drums, toms, snares all have a nice timbre along with a lively attack and decay. Stand up bass, cello have nice body and definition. Violins leave me wanting more, especially with a direct comparison to the other three drivers. They don't sound bad with violins, they just don't offer the same level of midrange transparency. A good sign that you'll want to partner these with a very robust tweeter that will be playing low. Male and female vocals both sound very good with just a bit of 800-1200Hz congestion that EQ will surely be able to clean up. Really depends on your install and application as well. Shoehorn it into a tiny volume and it will sound like it's shoehorned into a tiny volume, nomsayin? All in all, a very solid driver and great value.

Truthfully, I feel if the Anarchy fared this well in subjective comparisons within this grouping, it would crush many other car audio offerings costing many times the $55 asking price.

Nice. I've been very happy with my 6.5" (7"?) ones I got way back, and other similar Adire clones. I'd have had high hopes for those, glad they performed, will totally keep them in mind if I ever need 5.25" driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.