Subwoofer Getting Smelly After about 10 mins of playing

I have a platform 2 psi high performance version that runs at 1800wrms. I currently upgraded my amp from a hifonics zrx1816.1 to a Orion xtr 2500.1D I have the sub wired in series with the amp seeing a final load of 2ohm as it is a 1ohm woofer. I tuned the amp properly there is no distortion bass boost is all the way set to 0 the Master/Slave switch is set to master the LPF is set @ 80hz the phase is set to 0 and the sub sonic is set to 25hz. I'm having troubling wrapping my head around why the sub would get so smelly so quick playing it at full tilt for 5-10 mins "full tilt" is volume 37 and I don't see distortion until volume 39 on the h.u so really I'm not going all out I wouldn't imagine I'm pushing more than 2000wrms @2ohms.

Do you guys think it could be box related? Cuz I think my current box is 1.5 or 1.6 cuft ported if I made a larger box say around 2.5 cuft would that allow the sub more cooling abilities? It is definitely warm when you touch the dust cap but its not burning hot just warm to the touch and very smelly after 5 mins of playing at volume 37 out of 40. Keep in mind I do not see distortion on the h.u until 39 its driving me crazy as I'm the type of person that likes to have all the kinks worked out in my system.

Thanks for any ideas, input on what may be causing this.

u have a 12 in a 1.5cf ported box, that and port on that box maybe the problem., if it's a 12 i'd make a better box with proper sized port.., also u have ss filter at 25hz but u have a 1.5cf box what is that tuned at 45 hz?, if u don't know, turn ss filter up to like 40hz until u find out.. 25hz ss filter is for proper boxes with low tuning (30hz) mine is set at 32...... i wouldn't go past 80% max volume on hu whatever that is and or set gain lower., just turn it down that can't hurt..

I have a platform 2 psi high performance version that runs at 1800wrms. I currently upgraded my amp from a hifonics zrx1816.1 to a Orion xtr 2500.1D I have the sub wired in series with the amp seeing a final load of 2ohm as it is a 1ohm woofer. I tuned the amp properly there is no distortion bass boost is all the way set to 0 the Master/Slave switch is set to master the LPF is set @ 80hz the phase is set to 0 and the sub sonic is set to 25hz. I'm having troubling wrapping my head around why the sub would get so smelly so quick playing it at full tilt for 5-10 mins "full tilt" is volume 37 and I don't see distortion until volume 39 on the h.u so really I'm not going all out I wouldn't imagine I'm pushing more than 2000wrms @2ohms.

Do you guys think it could be box related? Cuz I think my current box is 1.5 or 1.6 cuft ported if I made a larger box say around 2.5 cuft would that allow the sub more cooling abilities? It is definitely warm when you touch the dust cap but its not burning hot just warm to the touch and very smelly after 5 mins of playing at volume 37 out of 40. Keep in mind I do not see distortion on the h.u until 39 its driving me crazy as I'm the type of person that likes to have all the kinks worked out in my system.

Thanks for any ideas, input on what may be causing this.
Couple of things... 1: What is your electrical like? If your running ***** electrical you could be clipping and not even be sending 1800W RMS to your sub.

2. Orion 2500.1Ds have been tested closer to 2500W@ 2 ohm and over 3K @ 1 ohm.. So with impedance rise you could still be sending over 2K or more to your sub... Depending on input voltage to the amp of course.

I'm leaning toward box/tune... if op has a higher tuned box and is playing dem LOW notes at high levels then the stink is gonna be bad within 5-10 minutes for sure.

Whats your box tuned at?

i bet 1.5 or so cf box has a tiny port.. very important to model the sub/box with power u have, especially if u run lots of power.. that box just isn't made for that..

Prime example of why setting gains with a test tone does not work all the times lol.
this

you're most likely clipping even though you don't think you are. clipping is fine with amps like that, it's the only way you'll get real power wired at 2 ohms with rise on top of it, just back off and let the sub cool down when it gets smelly. you're learning your systems limits, dont push it

a bigger and better designed box will give you more output with less clipping

That's what I'm leaning more towards is a the box and that's what a lot of people on here are thinking. If I remember correctly it was 1.65cuft it's a old custom slot port that I made years ago for a small car.. I got excited to hear what the new amp offered before my box builder sent me a design for the power I'm running.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.