First competition questions

LetMyBeatPound

CarAudio.com Exclusive
I'm going to compete in my first competition tomorrow, I got a 14ft³ box with a vertical center port. I am in a Box style Caravan. I am wondering if anyone can tell me where my box would be loudest for SPL right now it's in the back about 6"-8" from the rear hatch facing rearward with upward firing 18"s. I was thinking to take the midseat out and put it right behind the front seats with the port facing forward between the seats. But I thought I would come ask some of y'all in the forum and get some advice from some people who have seen alot of set ups and competed before.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who replys.

The only way to know is by testing. Sometimes you can pay a little extra and get some time on the meter to test before the competition starts. If you're serious about competing I highly suggest obtaining your own spl meter.

Yea, I was looking at this Bluetooth one that's $250, cuz it's like $50 for 3 runs at the local shop so I definitely plan on it. The owner at a local shop told me to come and try competing tho so I'm gonna give it a shot n see what I can do. I was looking at some soundqubed s1-2250 amps so I can strap 2 together when I get my other 2 18"s. Then I'll really be competion level lol

I have an older spl lab that hooks up through usb, I paid around $340 for it 6 years ago. If you want to be competitive and win you will have to do a lot of testing. It also helps to read the rulebooks for the specific organization- for instance MECA will have different rules than USACI or IASCA. Knowing the rules helps you build for a certain class which helps keep you competitive.

Today was the day correct?.. did you meter the thing?
Yea, I ran in Novice 1501-3k USACI and did 146.8 @ 40hrz on my first run and 144.1@ 35hrz on my second. I should have went to 42hrz and rolled my window up all the way I think, I might have gone higher idk. Definitely need to get a meter tho now. I had a good time checking out people stuff and showing mine. Don't meet too many ppl who appreciate really loud bass. A guy told me if I sound deaden my van I'll get way louder, there was another caravan their that was doing 160+ I think he said but he had much bigger amps then my one amp.

Yea, I was looking at this Bluetooth one that's $250, cuz it's like $50 for 3 runs at the local shop so I definitely plan on it. The owner at a local shop told me to come and try competing tho so I'm gonna give it a shot n see what I can do. I was looking at some soundqubed s1-2250 amps so I can strap 2 together when I get my other 2 18"s. Then I'll really be competion level lol
the flaw in your logic is, it might move you up a class and you will be up against monsters. Every class you move up is usually a ridiculous jump in dbs that you have to compete with. Read up on the rules and classes, choose the smallest class you fit in and do everything you can to gain on the meter legally.

Yea, I ran in Novice 1501-3k USACI and did 146.8 @ 40hrz on my first run and 144.1@ 35hrz on my second. I should have went to 42hrz and rolled my window up all the way I think, I might have gone higher idk. Definitely need to get a meter tho now. I had a good time checking out people stuff and showing mine. Don't meet too many ppl who appreciate really loud bass. A guy told me if I sound deaden my van I'll get way louder, there was another caravan their that was doing 160+ I think he said but he had much bigger amps then my one amp.
Windows and doors open is way louder than sealed 99% of the times. Its the same principles as ported vs sealed. If they meter on the dash or kick on the passenger side, you want your driver door opened or driver window cracked halfway down or fully down while the passenger side is fully closed up.

If your box is not above the window line or past the B pillar, you should have been novice 0-1500 not 1500-3000. You would have at least taken home a trophy.

Sound deaden will either gain db at a lower frequency but not necessary getting overall louder, some of the times after deadening some people lose dbs on the meter because their car was louder when it peaked at a higher frequency. What you can do is 1/2 plywood your roof with heavy duty PL adhesive and brace any part of your car from flexing(make sure you make it look stock or else you'll get your @ss called out on it and get disqualified). Deadener deadens sound and lowers resonance aka lows cabin peak frequency. It'll sound better on music but gaining on the meter is a luck of the draw. A member on here lost dbs deadening his grand caravan thats why i mentioned this.

Dont swap gear, stick in your class, stick with the same gear, read up on rules http://www.usaciworldwide.org/Rules/2018USACIRules.pdf. Learn every trick possible to gain dbs. Play around with box and port tuning mods. Play with the seat positions, sun visors, how clean your car is, the weather... EVERYTHING affects your db scores. You need to know whats your ideal metering conditions and setup along with knowing your best frequency. Definitely get a meter.

Windows and doors open is way louder than sealed 99% of the times. Its the same principles as ported vs sealed. If they meter on the dash or kick on the passenger side, you want your driver door opened or driver window cracked halfway down or fully down while the passenger side is fully closed up.
If your box is not above the window line or past the B pillar, you should have been novice 0-1500 not 1500-3000. You would have at least taken home a trophy.

Sound deaden will either gain db at a lower frequency but not necessary getting overall louder, some of the times after deadening some people lose dbs on the meter because their car was louder when it peaked at a higher frequency. What you can do is 1/2 plywood your roof with heavy duty PL adhesive and brace any part of your car from flexing(make sure you make it look stock or else you'll get your @ss called out on it and get disqualified). Deadener deadens sound and lowers resonance aka lows cabin peak frequency. It'll sound better on music but gaining on the meter is a luck of the draw. A member on here lost dbs deadening his grand caravan thats why i mentioned this.

Dont swap gear, stick in your class, stick with the same gear, read up on rules http://www.usaciworldwide.org/Rules/2018USACIRules.pdf. Learn every trick possible to gain dbs. Play around with box and port tuning mods. Play with the seat positions, sun visors, how clean your car is, the weather... EVERYTHING affects your db scores. You need to know whats your ideal metering conditions and setup along with knowing your best frequency. Definitely get a meter.
I don't think there was anyone their under 1500w and my amp is a 2k so I had to do that one I asked the USACI judge what i should run in and he said either the novice 1501-3k or the outlaw 5k no wall but that I probably would do better in the novice class. And it was metered on the kick panel passenger side with driver window all the way down. To me it seems louder barely cracked or closed but I guess I won't know till I get a meter. I got alot of air leakage from my hatch and side windows tho that I been working to reduce

146 and some change isn't bad for 2000W type class. Of course 2K does no no favors if your options are 0-1500 and 1500-3000. You'd probably be close to the same power/score and more competitive if you could swap that amp with Sundown SAZ1500D or some other under-rated 1500.

Jeff had some great advice, but to summarize the important bits you need to own a meter and you need to test EVERYTHING.

Deadening can get very expensive and may gain or lose. If you're not prepared to test, add a bit, test again, then potentially rip it all off if it doesn't help, don't bother. Or if you just want to deaden things go for it and let the chips fall where they may as far as numbers.

Buy gorilla tape. You can probably gain half a dB just with that.

Here's some things to try. Don't get hung up on what did and didn't work for the threadstarter. Just try EVERYTHING and test, keep notes.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/98191-spl-gains-updates-page-30-routing-the-port/

Just seen the results and I came in second place in my class. The 146.2 for 3rd, me at 146.8, and 1st was 153. something. Should I have gotten a trophy or something? Or is that only first place? I ended up having to leave early

I don't think there was anyone their under 1500w and my amp is a 2k so I had to do that one I asked the USACI judge what i should run in and he said either the novice 1501-3k or the outlaw 5k no wall but that I probably would do better in the novice class. And it was metered on the kick panel passenger side with driver window all the way down. To me it seems louder barely cracked or closed but I guess I won't know till I get a meter. I got alot of air leakage from my hatch and side windows tho that I been working to reduce
Doesnt matter if no one is in that class, you enter and you are the only entry, you automatically get first place. Earn points and head to a higher tier like state nationals then get invited to nationals where you get to meet all the big names in car audio.

The judges like to push you to a class with more competitors just for the sake of entertainment, not really for the sake of having you win or do the the best you can do. Plenty of times where they tried that sh*t with me.

Just seen the results and I came in second place in my class. The 146.2 for 3rd, me at 146.8, and 1st was 153. something. Should I have gotten a trophy or something? Or is that only first place? I ended up having to leave early
yes they will hold your trophy or cert. but you do have one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.