Basic home stereo questions

Turnt Audio
10+ year member

Looking for a solid home stereo setup, on somewhat of a budget, using 2-4 indoor/outdoor speakers and most likely the ability to add a subwoofer. Been looking at this receiver: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

to go with maybe these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VHARE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I7WJZ4W31LFVQ&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&psc=1

or maybe Kicker kb6000 speakers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051BS28A/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ERUUD8A5MPQI&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&psc=0)

Can a subwoofer be used with that Yamaha receiver? If so, would I be able to use 4 speakers with a sub, or just 2 speakers?

It says that receiver sends 100 watts X 2 ...is that the max watts rating? I know how the rms/max power ratings work for car audio, but what does it mean for this home stereo? Would each speaker be getting 50 watts RMS? Would it still be 50 watts RMS when using 4 speakers? I believe those Yamaha speakers say they handle 120 watts MAX...what is the RMS rating?

Basically I'm looking for the best bang for the buck possible with sound quality and loudness...I want some watts being put into my 2 or 4 speakers! Already have plenty of speaker wire.

It says on the back of the reciever you posted 8 ohm min.. I didnt see a ohm rating on the kicker, and the others are rated at 6ohm. I personally wouldnt wired low on a home theater amp.

Should the ohm rating on the receiver match the rating on each speaker? What kind of receiver (amp?) and speakers should I go with, if my goal is just to get very good, clean sound and lots of volume (at least 50 watts RMS per speaker?), for under $350? Maybe a couple examples of which products I should pair together to do it right and get the best outcome?

Maybe outdoor speakers aren't the best option for me? I chose that kind of speaker for the different mounting options, and I will probably have an "outdoor" use for them in the future. I just want a nice, yet affordable home sound system, to connect phone/computer/ipod/TV into. The very best bang for the buck for a system under $350, preferably using 2-4 outdoor/indoor speakers with option of adding a sub in the future.

It says on the back of the reciever you posted 8 ohm min.. I didnt see a ohm rating on the kicker, and the others are rated at 6ohm. I personally wouldnt wired low on a home theater amp.
I wire mines to 4 ohms Zero issues over 3 years already. The power supplies handle it as long as you keep the receiver ventilated.

Should the ohm rating on the receiver match the rating on each speaker? What kind of receiver (amp?) and speakers should I go with, if my goal is just to get very good, clean sound and lots of volume (at least 50 watts RMS per speaker?), for under $350? Maybe a couple examples of which products I should pair together to do it right and get the best outcome?Maybe outdoor speakers aren't the best option for me? I chose that kind of speaker for the different mounting options, and I will probably have an "outdoor" use for them in the future. I just want a nice, yet affordable home sound system, to connect phone/computer/ipod/TV into. The very best bang for the buck for a system under $350, preferably using 2-4 outdoor/indoor speakers with option of adding a sub in the future.
RMS is useless, dont even bother buy speakers based on that. Buy it based on sensitivity levels along with frequency response and overall educated review/feedback of the speaker aka from people comparing the speaker to much higher end speakers that actually knows what they are talking about with an in depth sound review along with their room setup/positioning, staging and imaging. Ignore the typical noob that says "this speaker is great!! loud and clear!!!"". Also if its inside the house, BUY HOME THEATER SPEAKERS. outdoor speakers s*uck

Also spend a bit more on a 5.1 reciever with better DAC please. You are asking for trouble when you want a single 2.1 reciever powering 4 speakers.

Looking for a solid home stereo setup, on somewhat of a budget, using 2-4 indoor/outdoor speakers and most likely the ability to add a subwoofer. Been looking at this receiver: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.htmlto go with maybe these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VHARE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I7WJZ4W31LFVQ&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&psc=1

or maybe Kicker kb6000 speakers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051BS28A/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ERUUD8A5MPQI&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&psc=0)

Can a subwoofer be used with that Yamaha receiver? If so, would I be able to use 4 speakers with a sub, or just 2 speakers?
The receiver has only 4 speaker output for it's speaker A and speaker B. You'd have to give up a second set of speakers if you wanted to drive subs off the mail speaker outputs. Better to run a second sub amp and use the tape output to drive it from the receiver.

It says that receiver sends 100 watts X 2 ...is that the max watts rating? I know how the rms/max power ratings work for car audio, but what does it mean for this home stereo?

Would each speaker be getting 50 watts RMS? Would it still be 50 watts RMS when using 4 speakers? I believe those Yamaha speakers say they handle 120 watts MAX...what is the RMS rating?
Means it will get a decent set of speakers pretty loud! If you put that into my Klipsch La Scalas you could just about blow up the house! But the La Scalas are like 110dB efficiency or better!

Oh, and BTW the RMS rating is the Root Mean Square rating, a way of approximating an alternating current's wave "amplitude".

Basically I'm looking for the best bang for the buck possible with sound quality and loudness...I want some watts being put into my 2 or 4 speakers! Already have plenty of speaker wire.
Go with a second power amp for your subs and if you REALLY want to run also a second set of speakers get RCA male to male splitters and split the Receiver's tape OUTPUT to it and if you wish any tape machine you may use too! It;s a line level outpiut and will certainly drive two lione level loads at once! Mine always have.

John Kuthe...

I wire mines to 4 ohms Zero issues over 3 years already. The power supplies handle it as long as you keep the receiver ventilated.

RMS is useless, dont even bother buy speakers based on that. Buy it based on sensitivity levels along with frequency response and overall educated review/feedback of the speaker aka from people comparing the speaker to much higher end speakers that actually knows what they are talking about with an in depth sound review along with their room setup/positioning, staging and imaging. Ignore the typical noob that says "this speaker is great!! loud and clear!!!"". Also if its inside the house, BUY HOME THEATER SPEAKERS. outdoor speakers s*uck

Also spend a bit more on a 5.1 reciever with better DAC please. You are asking for trouble when you want a single 2.1 reciever powering 4 speakers.
Jeef, give me your opinion on these speakers. Thinking of getting a pair while they are on sale.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R15M/Klipsch-Reference-R-15M.html

What is your budget?

I have the Dayton IO655s for my pool area on a Taramps Home 400 amp for playing music and they sounds great for $80.

For my home theater setup its a Sony STR-DH520 receiver, JBL N38 3 ways, JBL Flix 2 surround speakers, JBL Flix 10 center channel, and a JBL PB10" subwoofer.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the Klipsch set mentioned earlier. Not sure if I like them or not. Trying to see if they need a "break in".  To me, they have a hollow/concert hall type of sound. Some things sound nice but to achieve that satisfaction, I have to have the volume high

Also, anyone know of a nice powered subwoofer? Was looking at the 15" Dayton but I see mixed reviews. Trying to go the powered sub route before going the DIY route and just getting a plate amp/sub and building my own box.

If you have the time.. Id go to listen to a Pinnacle sub..A Klipsch..and a JBL.I run a JBL 10..I have some older tower Technics with 12s that get down pretty good too.I am wanting to build two down firing ported enclosures for a pair of Dayton 8 ohm 10s that I have but havent built yet.See how those do.But Ill say this..For the Money..The JBL 10 gets down. I have a wood floor in my 2nd living.Carpet you may want front firing sub.But Illsay this..the Pinnacle sound absolutely fantastic, tower and subs.But its just best to go to like Best buys/ect and listen for yourself to choose whats best for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.