Max wattage from 170-270 amp alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Still have yet to buy a new setup. Still got that expensive JL audio setup. Well I’ve got a 270 amp alternator rotting away in my car only pushing out 600 Watts rms, and that is between the focal k2s up front and the 12w6 sealed box in trunk. I’ve been thinking over and over again how many watts I could push, which would be about 3500 continuously. Yes, I could add battery after battery to power higher wattage subs but I pound out music for hours and hours when I drink. Think of it as a party car entertaining 2-4 people. So the alternator needs to keep up. At idle I get roughly 170 amps.

So keeping in mind somewhat descent SQ and a TON of SPL. What’s subs, needs to be sealed for sq and saving space, could I use to fully utilize and max this alternatoR.

I only want to do this once. I don’t want to keep upgrading subs anymore. I cannot fit two alts in the car either. I will not build in the back seat, need that for guests. It’s a coupe. And let’s consider the front stage in wattage limitations as well. Possibly may add speakers in the back as well.

Now idc what wattage I push for bragging rights. I would care about how efficient the subs are delivering massive spl at all sub frequencies. So 2 15’s, 4 12’s, 8 8’s? So on and so forth.

What I still have yet to understand is.... if a sub can reach Xmas on 500 Watts when it’s rated at 1000, what point is pushing any more Watts to a sub? If spl basically equates to cone area and excursion, what the hell is with these 5000 rms subs? T/S perimeters are all roughly the same, 80 something efficiency. I can’t run a 5000 rms sub in my wildest dreams. So considering my 02 civic coupe trunk space, what the hell should I do? Get subs with insane excursion, 40 + mm or more with higher efficiency? Some of these sundown subs are 5000 Watts. I keep talking about re xxx”s or fi q’s. I still haven’t made a **** descision yet. Can we work this out or what?

I don't know about your trunk space but if you could fit two twelves that would be ideal I would look into to SSA x-cons or sundown xv2 the Fi you listed would be good as well anything along those lines really would probably keep you more than happy feed them with about a solid 3.5 k at 1 ohm after eyes you will see nowhere near that leaving you plenty of power for highs and mids and then if you have to add a battery or to which you very well May get higher quality batteries so you can use less of them and if you don't have the room for a proper box for 2 12 step down to 10 as I'm sure you know two tens in a proper box will smoke two 12's in a shity box that would be my Approach if I was in your situation with your Alt in a battery or two I see no problems running a 3.5 k at 1 and a decent mid-sized 4-channel or two one more option would be instead of running to tens or 12 maybe running 1 15 I don't know just something to think about really it's personal preference at that point unless you're chasing numbers and it doesn't sound like you are

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.