Who here is running an active setup?

Participant count
  • Participants list

oxsign
5,000+ posts

No Affiliation
Orlando, FL
Amps are 2 soundstream tn4.900d. I’m thinking of going active just to see if there is a noticeable difference. I’m running Meso 8” PA in the doors (6.5” Meso PA in rear doors) and a Meso PA 6.5” & tweeter in the kicks and a tweeter in ea pillar in the factory location. I’d love to have some pillars made but for now this is what I’m working with.

If you are running active how do you like it vs running from the HU?

Amps are 2 soundstream tn4.900d. I’m thinking of going active just to see if there is a noticeable difference. I’m running Meso 8” PA in the doors (6.5” Meso PA in rear doors) and a Meso PA 6.5” & tweeter in the kicks and a tweeter in ea pillar in the factory location. I’d love to have some pillars made but for now this is what I’m working with.
I am super new to active so I cant tell you limitations of different configurations but I love my setup. I am running mine off my pioneer hu. The downside of active is it seems like a lot of tuning and jeff is the only guy that is either knowledgeable or willing to help with it.

All my setups are active setups (see signature). The advantage with an active setup is better tuning ability, less power required per a driver without a passive x-over in the way, and potentially better sound qaulity. The downside is howerever you’ll need more amplifier channels, more speaker wiring, and it’s best tuned with a DSP and an RTA such as REW or Room EQ wizard with a $100 microphone. Each car is different so what works for some cars will not necessarily work in another car.

Also you’ll need to pay attention to some speaker parameters such as the tweeters fs or resonant frequency. Typically they can’t be crossed lower than 2 times the fs so in a two way active system you’ll want to cross over to the woofer as low as possible to keep the stage up and stay out of the mid woofers beaming frequency as much as possible. The bigger the speaker driver the lower it will beam.

frequency tables

Running active would help you get better control over your sound ..but with PA drivers I don’t think it’s gonna help much SQ wise ..basically running active would consist of separate amps for each group of drivers ..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.