10" Sub option for 0.5 cu ft sealed with 500 watts?

nativefx

Okay, I'm trying to see if I have any other/better sub options besides the JL 10w6v3 for my '69 Firebird project. I have some time to decide, but I already have a custom box to fit the very limited space I have and the company that designed the box for first gen camaro's/firebird's say the JL w6 is what it was designed around. It will face up into the rear package tray to fire into the car.

The limitations I have is it needs to work in a 0.55 cu/ft, which is obviously a sealed enclosure, and I'm looking to use a 5 channel amp that can provide around 500 watts to a 2 ohm sub load. Price isn't really a big concern as I know I may have limitations due to what I need to work with.

I have a Hertz HDP5 at the moment, but I may throw that in my daily and look at other options, or if I like it in my daily, just buy another. If anyone has some possible options to consider for the amp, I'd take a look at that as well. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would reverse mount the woofer, otherwise you that sealed enclosure with be a little small, it would still work just wont be optimal. i think around .6 or so is optimal for the 10w6v3. as far as sound quality and output for something in that size enclsoure it would be super hard to find something equal to that. the stereo integrity bm mk series subwoofer works extremely well in that size enclosure, although it is a 12".

the sundown sa-10, dayton audio ho 10 and alpine type s 10 would also work well.

but with any of these woofers i would reverse mount them, otherwise you're only going to have about .4 cu/ft.

And if you're interested, i have a phoenix gold sx1200.5 I can sell. Perfect condition for $200. Shoot me a pm if you're interested. Also have a kenwood x801-5 bnib for $200.

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Phoenix Gold SX1200.5 Amplifier Review

I would reverse mount the woofer, otherwise you that sealed enclosure with be a little small, it would still work just wont be optimal. i think around .6 or so is optimal for the 10w6v3. as far as sound quality and output for something in that size enclsoure it would be super hard to find something equal to that. the stereo integrity bm mk series subwoofer works extremely well in that size enclosure, although it is a 12". the sundown sa-10, dayton audio ho 10 and alpine type s 10 would also work well.

but with any of these woofers i would reverse mount them, otherwise you're only going to have about .4 cu/ft.

And if you're interested, i have a phoenix gold sx1200.5 I can sell. Perfect condition for $200. Shoot me a pm if you're interested. Also have a kenwood x801-5 bnib for $200.

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Phoenix Gold SX1200.5 Amplifier Review
Okay so I got a hold of The Shop LLC who built the box and based it around the JL 10w6v3 as mentioned before. He said the box will give me a NET 0.6 cu/ft of volume after removing the displacement of the driver (.078 according to JL). This is a little larger than the minimum 0.55 JL recommends for that particular sub. Reverse mounting the sub is not an option, and given this info, it is not necessary. The larger net volume may provide some other sub options to look into if people think I can get a better sub than the W6, or is this one of the better subs for this application, regardless of price?

W6 is a good sub. I think you can find similar subs that are cheaper. Dayton ho, image dynamics idq are the 2 I’ve heard that would be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate JL for being overpriced as much as the next guy but The 10w6 will be tough to beat in that application.
If the 10w6 is the best option I'm all for using it. I just wanted to see if there were any other options to consider, and not just due to being cheaper. I'd rather get the best performing sub for what my limitations are. thanks!

Audiofrog GB10 is very comfortable with 0.5cubic feet sealed enclosure, plenty of output [emoji6]

I was interested in taking a look at the Audiofrog option, but it says this comes in a dual 2 ohm configuration which means it has to be either ran at 1 ohm or 4 ohm, and given my limited space and using a 5 channel amp I don't think it will be an option here. thanks

If the 10w6 is the best option I'm all for using it. I just wanted to see if there were any other options to consider, and not just due to being cheaper. I'd rather get the best performing sub for what my limitations are. thanks!
Well if money isn’t an option, check out Illusion audio

Stereo Integrity HST11MKII, but you might want a dedicated amp for it, .55cuft would be perfect.
Have you seen the displacement on that thing though? Displacement is .4 cu ft, so that leaves him with .2cu ft in the enclosure, haha. And I bet that enclosure doesn’t have the mounting depth. That woofer definitely will not work! Haha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.