Did sound deadening destroy your car too?

ladysmanfelpz
10+ year member

Phoenix
Not much in the game anymore, but I love tinkering with audio still. Just don't have enough coin right now to complete my project. What I have done is sound deadened my whole car. I drive an 07 Honda accord coupe. I did CCD on entire exterior door panel, some CCF behind spearker, and closed it up more CCD on the inner panel covering the open holes. I also did CCD on the rear deck and put CCF in between that and rear deck lid. I initially completely sealed the rear deck holes with CCD for best bass response from my 6x9's. I noticed my car seemed to get pretty stuffy and had to cut some holes in the rear deck which seemed to 'open' it up a little. I live in Phoenix and it seems dam stuffy in there. Upon getting in others' cars, I've paid more attention to it and find other cars quite stuffy as well, but the majority seem way more open and fresh feeling to me. I mostly park with sunroof partly cracked and started cracking my windows as well, which isn't ideal.

My car is a coupe and black on black and I live in Phoenix, but it seems more than the heat. It's just warm, slightly more humid feeling, and stuffy in there. Since clearing some holes in the deck made some improvement, it makes me believe that the sound dampening sealed off airflow leading to this smelly, stuffy feeling. I really can't open the rear deck more, but do the doors also contribute to airflow inside the car? I thought the only vent for my car is in the trunk?

Why I am upset is my leather is now F'ed. Passenger seat bottom is fried which from my conclusion is due to being so hot and humid in my car. Found some cooked spots on my rear seat as well. I want to invest a little more in my system, but am not going to do anything if my car feels like a hot garbage can. As this all in my head or is there some science to airflow being blocked by sealing for audio purposes?

I've done three vehicles like you have done although much newer vehicles and been through many hot summers and not experienced that. I'm guessing this is more you being over sensitive and overthinking it too much. That is a pretty old car too so I'm sure that doesn't help either.

Yeah, not sure that its related to the material, however, usually in a case like this, it’s an AC or ventilation issue. Check your cabin filter and replace it if necessary. Check and make sure the AC is blowing cold enough. A system low on coolant can make it feel like the car is more humid too.

Yeah, not sure that its related to the material, however, usually in a case like this, it’s an AC or ventilation issue. Check your cabin filter and replace it if necessary. Check and make sure the AC is blowing cold enough. A system low on coolant can make it feel like the car is more humid too.
^^^^ that or maybe a pinhole leak in the heater core?.. wierd, I'm in phx and never had anything close to that issue unless the carpets wet and the car gets parked in the heat with the windows up.

^^^^ that or maybe a pinhole leak in the heater core?.. wierd, I'm in phx and never had anything close to that issue unless the carpets wet and the car gets parked in the heat with the windows up.
I agree, just had that happen to my truck and it did make it humid AF

You can usually smell that too. It’s an unusual sweet smell.

But if you're an idiot (like me, I like to rust out my freeze plugs) water has no smell, except the musty smell and humidity... you'd be unable to find a small enough leak, wet carpet or padding under the dash is sometimes hard to find.

AC works great. Just had a big overhaul on it not 5000 miles ago. It just when the vehicle sits for a while it is very stuffy upon entering. For example when I went out one night, it was raining hard here. The next day I get in and it felt like the previous night. Where that day it was sunny and fresh, I got in my car and it felt damp and slightly warm cuz the car was sitting out in the sun. Its just like the air does not turnover at all. So heaven forbid I leave a bag of Wendy's in the car. You get in and it smells exactly like it. I thought an added benefit of sound deadening is that it is less taxing on the climate control, due to better insulation basically. Well for my car its just lack of airflow. So on the freeway I can turn up the ventilation, and it gets cold (when running A/C), but car does not feel fresh.

It could be because its an old car, and I admit I wasn't taking very good care of it, especially after my crappy leather took away all desire to maintain the interior. Well I gave it a good clean, and while it was more comfortable and clean smelling, it still feels the same. Like old stagnant air. I've noticed many people go straight for the window in my car, even if I have vents blasting, because it just doesn't feel fresh.

Along with the older car thing, someone mentioned on another forum that his leather had shriveled up after leaving his accord out in hot sun. But this was left out for 10 days and no cover. I always cover my windshield when not parked in shade and my seat was ruined in a much shorter time. Over a 4.5 hour golf round with friend. Windshield was covered and it still toasted 3 panels on my passenger seat. I'll post pics when I get back to my computer.

Im sure the leather seems like part of the issue, but Id almost bet its a separate thing. There is very specific care requirements for leather to prevent this from happening. Using special cleaning solutions, special conditioner, etc.

What kinda of deadener are you using?

I'd agree with everyone that the deadener is NOT the issue... you seem married to the idea tho, I'd suspect that there is moisture getting into the car somewhere, whether its the door seals window seals or heater core... its gettin in somehow... I live in Phx as well and have my car deadened so much it's sealed almost. Never an issue with moisture or whatever, my rear window in a prior build did something similar tho and its because I loosened it up over time, I paid to have it re-sealed and the issue went away.

I'd agree with both of you. I don't see how sound deadening could do this, but if you are sealing the car isn't that limiting airflow? Could someone please just explain to me how ventilation in car works (without climate control on)? I saw there is a airflow port in the trunk and if my rear deck is sealed isn't this limiting airflow big time.

IMG_1888.jpg'%20alt='IMG_1888.jpg'>

Pic is what happened to my passenger seat. I had windshield covered and after playing golf with some buddies, came back to it like this. Only thing I can think of is I had a semi-translucent folder lying on the seat. Also found a couple similar spots in the rear seat which I think could be due to small water spills (had some water bottles back there) and it baking. So yes I would agree the seats may be something separate, but your fully deadened cars aren't stuffy at all?

No... it's hot as H*ll tho in Phx... but it's dry heat as they say here in AZ. Only if moisture is in the car does it get muggy/stuffy. And the smell... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsdown.gif.d22f25895e9b40f2300c953691dacfa2.gif

K a little update. Had two people in my car yesterday and they did not complain of it being stuffy nor went to crack the window. In fact it felt cool and comfortable in my car although it was a rare 58* outside in Phoenix, so I ran climate control with no A/C.

I do not believe the leather was not caused by a hotboxed sound deadened coupe in Phoenix. I do know it was uncomfortable before I cut some holes in the rear deck. Whether it was just the smell of new material in the car or lack of airflow I do not know. I think keeping a clean car also definitely helps. Now if I can only completely rid my rear deck of rattles I can go on with the rest of my build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.