Going fully active vs current passive setup

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi,

I'm a new member and currently always used passive crossovers with my components and have been pretty happy with the results.

I recently decided to redo everything in my car once again with a new 5 channel amp, JL ZR components with a new sub & a dsp to take it to the next level.

In the process of running the additional wires needed to run my front components fully active. I'm not using rears this time.

I understand the benefits of T/A and having full control but should I also hear a sonic improvement by not having the passive crossovers in the system anymore? I would think more headroom since each speaker would be on a dedicated channel. Thanks

drivers get more power, you have the ability to get a perfect crossover point and blend between mid and tweeter that works with your car acoustics.

While passive, you are just stuck with a single cr@ppy crossover point that may or may not work with your car acoustics. Its like playing the lottery while active, you get 100% guaranteed results.

I do realize the tools I need and do have a good idea on how to tune it but I was wondering how much cleaner if everything was equal will the speakers sound playing active over having a passive crossover ******* up some power. I think I will have it professionally tuned though when I'm done to get the most out of it.

What LosIsATool said plus you will need a $100 microphone with REW to use REW correctly. Those JL components are a well engineered matched set and although running active with the right tune (that will take you hours and hours) can sound better, chances are you wont improve on JL engineering much. Where active has an advantage assuming you cannot bi amp through the passive X-over is being able to time align and EQ each driver separately. If you put the crossovers close to your amplifiers than it should be easy to try both with the wires right there.

Ok, Thanks everyone. I do have a microphone. I bought the Umik-1. I guess I'll have to test it both ways. With the supplied passive crossovers & running active from my TwK-88. I just think I would lose some power using the passive crossover than without it. If I do use it I'd be able to run my 2 rear speakers, but I think that would take away from making the system setup toward good sound quality.

Properly designed passive crossovers are just as good as active. Just harder to build..
its pretty dumb to build one in a car environment without know what points and slope works best from the start. With active you can literally play around all day all night from anywhere 20hz to 20khz points. When you have that kind of adjust ability, it makes no sense building a passive crossover over and over.

its pretty dumb to build one in a car environment without know what points and slope works best from the start. With active you can literally play around all day all night from anywhere 20hz to 20khz points. When you have that kind of adjust ability, it makes no sense building a passive crossover over and over.
You need to read up on the cons of digital.processi g

You need to read up on the cons of digital.processi g
Yeah perfect transmission of 1s and 0s perfectly with no loss. You should see all the highest level competitors and their thoughts on digital processing.

The original point was, its beyond stupid to build 5 different passive crossovers just to find a perfect crossover point/slope vs being able to adjust it at your whim at any time.

Not to mention you get some power loss going through the passive crossover as well vs straight to the speaker setup. Along with not being able to control output levels. Your ability to blend is severely weakened hence your overall SQ potential is dwarfed by anything that offers active network processing.

Yeah perfect transmission of 1s and 0s perfectly with no loss. You should see all the highest level competitors and their thoughts on digital processing.
The original point was, its beyond stupid to build 5 different passive crossovers just to find a perfect crossover point/slope vs being able to adjust it at your whim at any time.

Not to mention you get some power loss going through the passive crossover as well vs straight to the speaker setup. Along with not being able to control output levels. Your ability to blend is severely weakened hence your overall SQ potential is dwarfed by anything that offers active network processing.
Not even close. Phase shift and latency are still issues

Even seen a highend amp with a gain per chanel?

The older high-end stuff used to have tons of tuning options that we don't have today

He’s just pissed because he can’t figure out how to work one. But I think he’s full of **** and don’t have one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.