wew lad

Avoid PPI and Soundstream DSP's

As it stands, PPI and Soundstream DSP's (the 88R, and the Harmony) are on my **** list

I just had a PPI-DSP88R fail on me after about a year and a half. Specifically, the remote no longer works and it is required for the main board to function normally. The blue led illuminates as normal on the main module, however the remote has failed in a circumstance where the accent light under the volume knob is illuminated, however none of the other lights are functional and thus the remote is not communicating with the main board. I have looked at the board and found no obvious failure points. It could be the remote, or the actual board that has failed. Not worth my time to troubleshoot it further.

While it is a cheap DSP, what's not cheap is having to replace it within 2 years, let alone 10+ years as I would expect is a reasonable lifetime for electronics

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

And that's why you stick with a quality built brand. Those are mainstream, budget type guess if that's the right way to say it.

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps (New amps coming soon)

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

And that's why you stick with a quality built brand. Those are mainstream, budget type guess if that's the right way to say it.

You are running soundstream amps...

So you've kinda proven my mindset, some cheaper electronics are a-ok, but it's hard to know without accurate reviews relating to longevity.

Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

Cough DSR1.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

You are running soundstream amps...

So you've kinda proven my mindset, some cheaper electronics are a-ok, but it's hard to know without accurate reviews relating to longevity.

Yeah, but....I wouldn't get a DSP thru SS tho...amps maybe, depends which ones but sound processors I would go with another brand. Some brands I'll buy amps, subs from while other speakers I'll choose another brand, not the same brand that I have the sub/amp from.

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

The step up from the 88 was made by mini DSP

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

Zapco ST-4X SQ, ST-1000XMii

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Alpine SPX Pro ring radiators

Hertz HV165XL

Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

well the local 162 db team alphard guy went through 3 audison bit ones all failing him. Thats quality.... Just that quality cant handle 162 db pressure lol.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Why would a 162db build need a DSP in the first place

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Hertz HV165XL

As it stands, PPI and Soundstream DSP's (the 88R, and the Harmony) are on my **** list

Wow, you're late to the party realizing those brands are junk. The rest of us got that memo almost 20 years ago.

Wow, you're late to the party realizing those brands are junk. The rest of us got that memo almost 20 years ago.

I get that, I'd still rather post this because I didn't find much referencing failures in this realm specifically. There's still plenty out there for sale and if I can steer people away who may only visit one forum I consider that a plus

The step up from the 88 was made by mini DSP

Which one? I'm a little confused by what you're saying. miniDSP helped them design it, or are you recommending a miniDSP product?

A lot of PA speakers needing major adjustments not to sound like absolute garbage. He also has that level of mids and highs that easily rivals/surpasses the Brazilians as well and it actually sounds pleasant in comparison... Not my cup of tea but it does sound massively better with the bit one compared to without it.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Exactly what i was thinking...

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

I'm leaning towards a Mini DSP myself. But before I get there, I need a new headunit for Good CD playback. Funny thing is, my cheap 120 Pioneer deck sounds great over USB Better then cd, so I'm ok for now. But a full active system will be in the works sooner or later.

MGTOW.com

Helix = Problem Solved

When it's all said and done, most of the time, there's more said than done.

Cough DSR1.
Yep. Works awesome and isn't that much more than those cheap ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Helix = Problem Solved

2-3x the price, car audio markets aren't that easy

Yep. Works awesome and isn't that much more than those cheap ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I ended up with the DSR1 for something like 180$ for one NIB from someone who never used it. Great DSP with some bugs. Stupid how channels 7/8 are force summed to a sub but you could get 2 of them and still be better off price wise than a helix dsp

I'm leaning towards a Mini DSP myself. But before I get there, I need a new headunit for Good CD playback. Funny thing is, my cheap 120 Pioneer deck sounds great over USB Better then cd, so I'm ok for now. But a full active system will be in the works sooner or later.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Hertz HV165XL

Dammnn! Nice little joker there, and comes with the 5 year warranty!!Nice

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Didn't that just come out?

I really hope it lives up to expectations but I haven't seen many try it out yet so I dunno

edit: nvm it's not out until 7/16

Didn't that just come out?

I really hope it lives up to expectations but I haven't seen many try it out yet so I dunno

edit: nvm it's not out until 7/16

I don’t think Dayton has a bad product out. With DSPs it’s all about the software.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Hertz HV165XL

I don’t think Dayton has a bad product out. With DSPs it’s all about the software.

That's exactly what I was getting at. If the software is bug-free and has all the features it's going to be a killer product - unless they bump the price up. Under $200 is the market for budget DSP's

Ive bought a lot of dayton subs, speakers, tweets home audio gear and everything I have or have had has been excellent. And who places a 5 year warranty on theyre gear these days other than Dayton?

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now